Hi from Maryland

cmszip

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Cliff and I'm excited to join this community. I'm very much a newbie. I bought my first ukulele (an Ohana CK-15-CL... I love the warmth of it) about two and a half months ago, and have loved learning to play. I've never learned to play any instrument before, so it's a new adventure.

As I've looked up info to different ukulele questions, Google keeps bringing me to these forums, so I thought it would be great to join.

I'm already about to purchase another uke (Kala KA-SPMT-TRI) for some more variety (although I'll try not to make buying these a habit :D). I might even change up the strings, since I'm not a huge fan of the feel of Aquila Nylgut compared to the Worth Browns, but I'm also open to suggestions. Any recommendations for strings for the KA-SPMT-TRI that won't make the spruce brighter than it already is?

Thanks again for bringing me in.

All the best,
Cliff

Welcome to UU, Cliff!

Experimenting is fun and strings don't cost a lot, so you've got a project.
However, if Maryland is opening up and uke groups return to weekly or monthly meetings, you could maybe ask a few members to let you have a play on their instruments and get a feel for the strings they use. It's very subjective...

Thanks so much, Ms Bean! I'll definitely keep that in mind and look out for some ukulele clubs. I've done some virtual uke jams with the store I bought my Ohana from, but I'm sure a more local group would be great.

Welcome! When there's not a pandemic going on, there are some great places to play in and around Maryland. There are active ukulele clubs and events in Baltimore, Annapolis, Gaithersburg, and Havre de Grace. There are some great uke fests that are a reasonable drive away (there's one in Gaithersburg, there's Funky Frets in Boyertown, PA in October, and there's the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree in Altoona, PA in April/Mayish). I know a lot of folks from MD that go to those PA festivals.

Welcome, Cliff! Greetings from your neighbor in Harrisburg, PA.

Hi Larry, Jerry, and Jisa! Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'll definitely check out those uke festivals and groups once things begin going back to normal. They sound like a great way to get better involved. :)

Top Bottom