Capo recommendations?

jnicholes

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Capo for my Kmise Tenor Ukulele. Anyone have any recommendations for a capo?

Jared

The D'Addario NS Ukulele Capo Pro is a beautiful, well-made, precision piece of gear and works great. Unfortunately, it turns out I never use the thing. I bought it three years ago, and may have used it once or twice.

Addendum: This same capo is also sold under the Planet Waves brand. Same thing, same company, just different name.

Last edited:
I found that any capo that sticks down gets in the way of my hand when playing, so I looked for one the sticks up, a Kyser Quick-Change Capo for banjos, ukuleles, it's the most out of the way one I've used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CZVWS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also noticed that some people clip it on from the A string side, which also gets in the way, this is the way to clip it.

zcapo.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Ditto on the D'Addario. I had the old-school Kyser for a long time then ended up with the NS. Night and day form and function.

I have both the D'Addario and the Kyser and enjoy both equally. Kohanmike is correct, you need to post the Kyser as you see to minimize interference with fretting fingers. On the D'Addario, I found it was not able to completely capo the strings on very thin necks like my Martin C1K. That's what drove me to pick up the Kyser as well.

Thank you everyone! I just ordered the one that @kohanmike recommended. I also got myself some new strings for my concert ukulele.

Then there's custom capos that are yoke style that rarely need to retune after putting on and very thin and barely noticeable when using.

Compared on bottom is the G7 clamp on vs. the Elliot/McKinney yoke style custom made by Bill Stokes of Showcase capos.

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 15
I tried three: D'Addario, Kyser, and Shubb. For me Shubb is the best, but a problem I've run into with uke capos is length/fit. The Kyser seems to have the best fit and length, but the handle gets in the way for me sometimes, and I dislike the way it clamps. Shubb clamps the best, is out of the way, and the quality is great. But sometimes it's a bit short for wider fretboards. D'Addario clamps easily but doesn't always fit well and feels cheap to me.

That said, I find that capoing ukes is much less frequent than capoing a guitar.

The Tanglewood Speedbar works very well on my concert

Pencil and rubber band........old school baby. Just joking I have the Kyser and the D’Addario, actually have both of them for ukulele and guitar. I like them both but the D’Addario gets the nod for being small, sleek and slim

Another vote for the Planet Waves and Schubb. The planet waves is the best for staying out of the way and only takes a few seconds to screw on. I like the schubb for the combination of quick on and off and staying out of the way. It’s also the only Uke sized one I’ve found for radiused fretboards.

The two that I'd recommend are the Shubb Lite and the G7 Ultralight.

I have a capo coming from Jowoom that combines a tuner in a capo, but it's a guitar capo and not ukulele-specific. I'm still excited for the product--it would be lovely to carry one item in my kit instead of two; although have to admit that I have only used a capo for other projects and none of my own playing...

SHUBB

Low profile, lightweight, adjustable, color options, and nice company.

That’s why I choose to stock them

SHUBB

Low profile, lightweight, adjustable, color options, and nice company.

Another vote for Shubb. I've used them for all my instruments for over 40 years.
Adjustable....helps with intonation
Low Profile...doesn't get in way of fretting hand and fits in your pocket
Quality capo!

Are Shubb those horrible metal clamp like contraptions? Had one, binned it, bloody awful thing. Then I won a Tanglewood Speedbar. Much better

I have never liked spring loaded capos like the Kyser. Get something that you can adjust the tension and then tighten it just enough to stop the buzzing. Don't crank it down to touch the board or you will pull your instrument out of tune.
I haven't tried a capo on the uke, but I use a Planet Waves ukulele capo on my five string banjo and it's great - quick & accurate.

Are Shubb those horrible metal clamp like contraptions? Had one, binned it, bloody awful thing. Then I won a Tanglewood Speedbar. Much better

Really? What is it you don't like about them? I like that you can easily adjust the tension so they don't clamp on too lightly or forcefully. I just wish they were a little bit longer.

I have never liked spring loaded capos like the Kyser. Get something that you can adjust the tension and then tighten it just enough to stop the buzzing. Don't crank it down to touch the board or you will pull your instrument out of tune.
I haven't tried a capo on the uke, but I use a Planet Waves ukulele capo on my five string banjo and it's great - quick & accurate.

I think this is what I dislike about Kyser. It fits well, but the spring seems too strong for ukuleles. They seem more suited to steel string guitars.

I haven't tried a Kyser (or any other capo. . .yet) on a uke, but the Kyser does pull my guitars and banjos sharp. I have the same problem with the Dunlop Trigger or any spring loaded capo. I need them to be adjustable. I also hate the looks of capos and tuners and cigarettes and unclipped strings. . .stuck on the peghead.

Perhaps mine have higher frets than others, but I have the same problem with all of my guitars and banjos.

Last edited:
I haven't tried a Kyser (or any other capo. . .yet) on a uke, but the Kyser does pull my guitars and banjos sharp. I have the same problem with the Dunlop Trigger or any spring loaded capo. I need them to be adjustable. I also hate the looks of capos and tuners and cigarettes and unclipped strings. . .stuck on the peghead.

Perhaps mine have higher frets than others, but I have the same problem with all of my guitars and banjos.

This is why I fianally went with an Elliot/McKinney Showcase capo. Being a screw down type yoke capo, the instrument doesn't go out of tune when used. They are expensive but you'll never have to buy another capo.

Top Bottom