Season 439 - Mockumentaries

UkeFoote

Reaction score
MOCKUMENTARY week
Record an ukulele performance of any song written for or used in a mockumentary film or television show. Here is a list of a number of mockumentaries in which there are some amazing songs:

All You Need Is Cash - plus anything from the Rutles catalog
This is Spinal Tap - plus anything from the Spinal Tap catalog
Bob Roberts (excellent film starring Tim Robbins as right wing country singer politician)
CB4 (hip hop mockumentary from the early ‘90s)
Fear of a Black Hat (another hip hop mock from the early ‘90s)
Waiting for Guffman (mockumentary of a community theater group)
A Mighty Wind (hilarious mockumentary about folk musicians)
Documentary Now! (Fred Armisen’s series features some great music)

note: some online references cite A Hard Day’s Night in the Mockumentary category. Without debating the issue, I would prefer to exclude songs from A Hard Day’s Night from this Season

In light of the fact that this theme presents a significant challenge to find a good song, (as very few of these songs are documented), I have created two sub themes.*

SUB THEME I: Fake Band
Record an ukulele performance of any song or instrumental recorded or performed by a “fake band”. “Fake bands” would include bands made up for TV or other media (ie the Monkees or the Partridge Family, or even Lenny and the Squigtones from Laverne and Shirley- obscurities obviously welcome - especially from outside of American culture).

SUB THEME II: Parody
Record an ukulele performance of a parody song or instrumental (originals or covers). And here I will add that any song from a Monty Python movie, record, or television presentation is welcome as well.

*If you’re going to post more than one video, please post at least one Mockumentary song video for each sub theme video you post.

Multitracking is fine, please make sure ukulele is a notable element in your instrumentation. I prefer to see you play your instrument, but if the concept of the video precludes showing you play, that is ok.

Finally, please listen to, and comment on, your fellow Seasonistas’ videos. I love it when people drop by and leave a comment - I try to listen to at least one video of anyone who leaves me a comment. I also find it fun to scroll down and listen to something they did a few years ago. Just sayin’…

season is from July 12 through 19 Hawaii time

to get us started:

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Great theme, Brian! I would imagine songs from Weird Al’s “UHF” would apply, too?

Check out some of the songs from ‘David Brent: Life On The Road’. They can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6p8LbpVclkQvIvNbRxrPlcZvv3Rw5lPe

It’s a follow up film to the original UK mockumentary TV series ‘The Office’, co-written by and starring the comedy genius that is Ricky Gervais. In the film his character, David Brent, decides to invest his life savings in an attempt to become a rock star.

Ye gods ... I'm first! I hope that doesn't mean I've jumped the gun! Well, I had an early start as we were woken far too early by our lovely, but now completely senile, dog who got herself caught behind a plant stand downstairs and was crashing about in a manner which could not be ignored! (Great idea for the week, Brian, if somewhat challenging.)

Anyway, this song comes from the "Fifth Rutle" ... they got rid of her as soon as was decently acceptable!

Last edited:

Henry Kissinger
How I'm missing yer
You're the Doctor of my dreams
with your crinkly hair
and your glassy stare
and your Machiavellian schemes
I know they say that you are very vain
and short and fat and pushy
but at least you're not insane
Henry Kissinger
How I'm missing yer
and wishing you were here

Henry Kissinger
how I'm missing yer
you're so chubby and so neat
with your funny clothes
and your squishy nose
you're like a German par-a-keet
alright so people say that you don't care
but you've got nicer legs than Hitler
and bigger tits than Cher
Henry Kissinger
How I'm missing yer
and wishing you were here

I was working on a song from Flight of the Conchords , a wonderful NZ parody TV series / duo. Didn't get it together for today. I always like to post on Sunday so I went looking for a Monkees' song I didn't know. Liked the title of this...had a listen and loved it. Written for a 50th anniversary album released in 2016. The original is really worth a listen ...much better than my cover. Will try to do a parody before the week is up.
Flight of the Conchords and The Mighty Boosh are two TV series worth checking out for parody songs.

Really great stuff already coming in, and of course I'm readying the studio for a tidal wave of spinal tap from Lynda.

In the mean time, here's a whimsical offering from seasons past:

Last edited:
Fun song from Monty Python featured in the film "the life of Brian'He's just a naughty boy

Extra Cheese beat me to this one, probably because I (literally) went through 10 takes before getting this not quite right. Sigh.

Ten thousand screaming fans awaited the Rutles at Kennedy Airport. Unfortunately, the Rutles landed at La Guardia.

This song was from the Rutles' animated classic "Yellow Submarine Sandwich". You may notice the camera gradually sliding to a steeper angle over the course of the song.

From "All You Need Is Cash" by The Rutles comes this beauty, and I'm not even being funny.

Hello!! Here is my very first video for the Seasons of Ukulele. Ukefoote, my teacher, recommended that I join so here I am! Looking forward to making more videos.

My song is "5,000 Candles in the Wind" from the mockumentary TV series "Parks and Recreation." Li'l Sebastian, a miniature horse and the beloved town mascot of Pawnee, Indiana tragically kicks the bucket and this song is a goofy tribute to him. Hope you enjoy!

Top Bottom