Song Help Request Fingerpicking pattern for Jolene?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
Anyone have one? I've only found strumming patterns. I've only found picking for guitar.
Thanks

I'll wish you luck with this!

'Jolene' lends itself well to a classic "Travis-pattern" picking sequence on a guitar, but there just aren't enough bass strings on a ukulele for this to work, in my opinion, though using an instrument strung "low-G" can help mitigate the issue.
Playing with a clawhammer-style 'bum-titty' arrangement also works on a "hi-G" instrument, but choice of key may be an issue here and of course assumes you both like and can play claw-hammer ;)

Good luck - :music:

I'll wish you luck with this!

'Jolene' lends itself well to a classic "Travis-pattern" picking sequence on a guitar, but there just aren't enough bass strings on a ukulele for this to work, in my opinion, though using an instrument strung "low-G" can help mitigate the issue.
Playing with a clawhammer-style 'bum-titty' arrangement also works on a "hi-G" instrument, but choice of key may be an issue here and of course assumes you both like and can play claw-hammer ;)

Good luck - :music:

I have a low g on uke. Have an idea of a particular Travis pick. I've tried a couple but they don't seem quite right. I've tried 42,31 and 432,41,32 ( just the string numbers).
Thanks

I have a low g on uke. Have an idea of a particular Travis pick. I've tried a couple but they don't seem quite right. I've tried 42,31 and 432,41,32 ( just the string numbers).
Thanks

Sorry, can't help further ... I've used variations of the "Travis pick" on the guitar since the '60's. It's always been a case of fiddling around in various keys, using different chord shapes, until it "sounded" right, then fitting a capo, if necessary, to bring the sequence into my limited singing range. I really don't think in "string numbers" or notes, it just "kinda happens" ... possibly a case of being spoilt for choice with six strings!

:music:

Top Bottom