Antica Ukuleleria Sacco Soprano - REVIEW

I'm puzzled by the reference to "a touch longer than average' scale length - 13.5 inches is slightly shorter than the usual soprano scale. Most sops are about the same as a classic Martin, which is 13 5/8" - plus a bit of compensation:confused:

John Colter

Last edited:
I'm puzzled by the reference to "a touch longer than average' scale length - 13.5 inches is slightly shorter than the usual soprano scale. Most sops are about the same as a classic Martin, which is 13 5/8" - plus a bit of compensation:confused:

John Colter

I was referring to the overall length of the instrument in my post.

And I was quoting Baz Maz in his review.

John Colter

Wasn't sure... but I just measured my Sacco at 13 5/8" from nut to bridge (just over 13 1/2 from zero fret). My KoAloha soprano and AO soprano (both from same factory, really) measure at touch over 14". Flight sop also measures touch over 14", too.

John Colter

I think we generally think:

17 - tenor
15 - concert
13 - soprano

Baritone is more fluid at 19 or 20

And I was quoting Baz Maz in his review.

John Colter

The Martin may be a 'standard' (and some approximations may be actually be a touch more than 13.5 - think the Timms is?) but a lot of sopranos I have reviewed (admittedly lots of far eastern models) the scale has been nearer 13 inches than 13.5 inches in my experience.

Perhaps it would have been better to say 'nearer to the traditional standard rather than at the upper end. Fair point.

EDIT

Just checked my Rob Collins Soprano which is just shy of 13.5 and a couple of Chinese cheapies which are 13.2. Edited post above and happy to clarify on the review.

Whether it makes masses of difference of course....

Last edited:
Sorry Baz, - mountains and molehills-------------------------------:)

John Colter

Looking back at this old review, I have to admit I like this slightly quirky instrument. Its curvy shape is very unique, yet very appealing. It sounds quite nice as well

Hooray! I just received this ukulele (the actual one in this review) and love it. Barry has a completely accurate review. Sound is loud, sustained, and pleasing.

Two things I noticed (not bad): One is that the headstock width is more than others, which means your tuner has to open wider. Other is that the length is about 3/4 inches more than other sopranos I own. It is extremely comfortable to hold and play and has an incredibly high esthetic value. Highly recommended.
I love the tweedy look of the body, with the jute texture showing through. Overall, rather beautiful.

Yes and I find it all very tastefully done with a very clean look

Top Bottom