VNUD: 1950s Harmony Roy Smeck soprano

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I couldn't resist this, especially after seeing Sheryl Crow play one of what looks like the laminate '50s or '60s Harmonys in her present to Ringo Starr for his 80th birthday.

The price was right on eBay, though I knew it had at least one problem (cracked) tuning peg, C string. (The fluorocarbon strings weren't original, but they weren't new, either! Felt like plastic, though I knew they weren't.)

Turns out a previous owner just superglued pieces of the tuning button right to the screw. When I put on new strings and tuned it up, the button had started separating and buzzed.

So I removed the old tuners, threw on a set of Grover 3Ws I had lying around (after reaming the tuning holes a bit), and it's going to sound great once the new strings settle. Action is spot-on. The plastic fretboard is just fine, as is the one-piece wood saddle/bridge.

These critters are light as a feather and very well put together. Harmony deserves a lot of love for continuing to hand-build entry-level instruments in the U.S. long after other places had moved their operations overseas.

More photos here:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPvKHiA9YINQS3HjwwCZjIltaQYF8goLDEU_JvI

IMG_4588.jpg

Hi folks,

I couldn't resist this, especially after seeing Sheryl Crow play one of what looks like the laminate '50s or '60s Harmonys in her present to Ringo Starr for his 80th birthday.

The price was right on eBay, though I knew it had at least one problem (cracked) tuning peg, C string. (The fluorocarbon strings weren't original, but they weren't new, either! Felt like plastic, though I knew they weren't.)

Turns out a previous owner just superglued pieces of the tuning button right to the screw. When I put on new strings and tuned it up, the button had started separating and buzzed.

So I removed the old tuners, threw on a set of Grover 3Ws I had lying around (after reaming the tuning holes a bit), and it's going to sound great once the new strings settle. Action is spot-on. The plastic fretboard is just fine, as is the one-piece wood saddle/bridge.

These critters are light as a feather and very well put together. Harmony deserves a lot of love for continuing to hand-build entry-level instruments in the U.S. long after other places had moved their operations overseas.

More photos here:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPvKHiA9YINQS3HjwwCZjIltaQYF8goLDEU_JvI

View attachment 128340

Mine also got damaged https://aolsigninhelp.com while playing on tour. Therefore I prefer to buy the instruments directly from the stores. Rather than just getting it from ebay or some online store.

Last edited:
Nice find. I have one from about 1950 that a friend used in high school music class. There seem to be several versions of the Smeck soprano. I've never seen one like mine pictured anywhere. The bit of the fretboard on the top is painted on. :D

1-2.jpg

Nice find. I have one from about 1950 that a friend used in high school music class. There seem to be several versions of the Smeck soprano. I've never seen one like mine pictured anywhere. The bit of the fretboard on the top is painted on. :D

View attachment 129087

Jerry, they made these for decades. Some had the frets hammered into the neck, some had wood fretboards, and the later ones like mine had plastic boards.

I wound up having to get the neck reset. It apparently had been damaged over the years and it was about 10 degrees off center. My local repair folks reglued and refilled it at the off-center angle. A total re-do would have cost much more than I was willing to pay. Intonation and play are fine, believe it or not.

I have a friend who loves to visit flea markets and second hand stores. He has given me a few instruments (and I've given him one or two as well). A couple of Christmases ago he showed up with a Roy Smeck soprano with a home-made case and a plastic fingerboard. The upper end of the board is broken, but it's still quite playable. I have used it a lot for just playing around the house, but I doubt I will use it to perform.
My wife hates it. . .says it sounds like elastic bands stretched over a cigar box. I kinda like it.
Harmony Roy Smeck Uke.jpg

I have 2 Smeck sopranos , bought them years ago . I know I put Martin 600's on one and it sounded better .
I'll have to dig them out and see how they sound . They both have plastic fingerboards and if I remember correctly only played well at the first three frets.

Top Bottom