Ukuleles sizes & Scale lenghts blueprint by me

rapazdesigns

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with the outcome but I want to know what do you think.
Any suggestion is welcome.
UKE-V4-PROMO.jpg

Being a bass uke player, I would like to see that size too. They're 20.75" scale.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I don't understand the purpose of the drawings. They represent typical traditional-style instruments but the categories "soprano", "concert" and "tenor" are only a guide. I practice, scale lengths can vary slightly, and bodies can be any size or shape, within practical limitations.

John Colter

I'm quite happy with the outcome but I want to know what do you think.
Any suggestion is welcome.
View attachment 128365

As I read the drawing the scale length end points are unclear and possibly incorrect. As I understand things the nut is not included in the scale length, and the nominal scale length starts at the nut end of the fretboard and ends at the nominal mid point of the saddle (at the crest where the string first touches the saddle). Compensation tends to add a few mm so (in reality) the saddle is usually positioned slightly beyond the nominal scale length - well that works for me when I reattach bridges. I think it would be better if you described your scale lengths as nominal and common, as JC very rightly says scale lengths do vary. Sorry if I’m raining on your parade, but you did invite constructive comment.

Last edited:
I don't understand the purpose of the drawings. They represent typical traditional-style instruments but the categories "soprano", "concert" and "tenor" are only a guide. I practice, scale lengths can vary slightly, and bodies can be any size or shape, within practical limitations.

John Colter

The purpose is decorative art

As I read the drawing the scale length end points are unclear and possibly incorrect. As I understand things the nut is not included in the scale length, and the nominal scale length starts at the nut end of the fretboard and ends at the nominal mid point of the saddle (at the crest where the string first touches the saddle). Compensation tends to add a few mm so (in reality) the saddle is usually positioned slightly beyond the nominal scale length - well that works for me when I reattach bridges. I think it would be better if you described your scale lengths as nominal and common, as JC very rightly says scale lengths do vary. Sorry if I’m raining on your parade, but you did invite constructive comment.
The scale length end points are correct but I have to check them to be nominal and common.
Don't be sorry, I appreciate your time and kindness. Thank you ;-)

As decorative art, the drawings are fine.

Best wishes,

John Colter

Top Bottom