aNueNue Koa Bird UT1K 1 Series Koa Tenor

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Aloha, UU friends ~ Looking to find any owners out there of the aNueNue Koa Bird UT1K 1 Series Koa Tenor. I am interested in this model, but am not sure if the slotted headstock is the way that I want to go. Those of you who own this particular model, can you tell me if you feel that the instrument is ‘headstock heavy’ at all?

Years ago, one of my first ukuleles had a slotted headstock. As much as I loved the instrument, I found the slotted headstock was just too heavy for me — even playing with a strap it felt uncomfortable. I ended up rehoming that ukulele.

I have wrist tendonitis in my fretting hand, so typically, I gravitate towards ukuleles without slotted headstocks, given my prior experience. But, that was years ago...perhaps slotted headstock designs are lighter nowadays.

This aNueNue Koa Bird UT1K 1 Series Koa Tenor is lovely; my curiosity has been piqued. I’d be grateful for those who own one to share their thoughts in this regard — and on any other points you deem worth sharing. Mahalo for your time and help!

Hi! I have recently got the AMM3 mahogany tenor and it has the same slotted head-stock but with a rosewood or ebony face plate (not sure). I must admit I thought the head-stock is... not the most attractive one I have seen. It is certainly not heavy though, and I have no doubt you will love the UTK1, if my AMM3 is anything to go by. I have seen some pics of these ukes with the older style headstock and (for my money) they looked better than the slotted headstock, but don't let it put you off.

This doesn’t have anything to do with the headstock, but the UT1K has a fan bracing system vs. the X bracing system of the Bird series. You probably already knew that, but I wanted to put it out there anyway in case it makes a difference to you.

Hi,
I had one and upgraded to the Koa 3 bird,
Both great!
Ron

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback — I really appreciate it! I’ve been in touch with Corey at aNueNue USA and he’s been helping me with some additional questions, too — perhaps I’ll be sharing a NUD, here, soon! :)

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback — I really appreciate it! I’ve been in touch with Corey at aNueNue USA and he’s been helping me with some additional questions, too — perhaps I’ll be sharing a NUD, here, soon! :)

Please do so! I have been wondering about the exact thing, with the concert size though.

Top Bottom