'Dead' A string on tenor-length scales

fountainpenkid

Reaction score
I've owned 2 super concerts:

My first was a KoAloha, standard new model (2017), L.R Baggs 5.0 installed. I used Worth strings + Infield smooth-wound C.
My current is a Kamaka, standard 2020 model, L.R Baggs 5.0 installed. I'm using Aquila Nylagut strings (high G)

With both, the A string, which I expect to be resonant and melody-receptive, is 'dry' and 'tight' in its lower range...the complete opposite of my Tangi puka concert, whose A is the most full and resonant string on the instrument and glorifies any melody you throw at it. Granted, the Tangi also has several considerable cracks and 14 years of heavy use. With these two K-ukes, there's more precision, but it feels so much less responsive to melody. Does anyone else find this? Is this a scale-length issue? (I'm leaning towards not--I've played some nice concerts over the years and none have had the full-bodied, milky resonance of my Tangi). Is it something exacerbated by the pickup? Is it a super-concert thing? A play-in thing? (I do remember my KoAloha may have opened up after a couple months or weeks, but not so much in this respect.)
Most of all, has anyone had any luck improving a uke with this sort of issue? I don't want to give up on the Kamaka...it is so wonderful for chords (fingerpicked or strummed), and has a more 'honest' sound than the KoAloha did, but this issue is really worrying me...

I have not had this issue. Is it an acoustic or plugged in issue.
The pickup may not be seated correctly. I had a Uke where the pickup slipped a bit and my “A” string was weak when plugged in. I moved the ribbon a bit to the “A” side and all is well.

I have not had this issue. Is it an acoustic or plugged in issue.
The pickup may not be seated correctly. I had a Uke where the pickup slipped a bit and my “A” string was weak when plugged in. I moved the ribbon a bit to the “A” side and all is well.

It's much more an acoustic issue...though maybe the Baggs setup (it runs under the bridge nut I believe) does have something to do with it?

Loosen the strings and check the ribbon, the saddle may not be seated. If there is space between the saddle and ribbon gently move the ribbon. You need be careful if you slide the saddle you can move the ribbon. So loosen the string so you can lift the saddle out.

Loosen the strings and check the ribbon, the saddle may not be seated. If there is space between the saddle and ribbon gently move the ribbon. You need be careful if you slide the saddle you can move the ribbon. So loosen the string so you can lift the saddle out.

I checked--it does seem to be seated. See picture...IMG_0241.jpg

Your description of dead notes being 'dry and tight' is spot on. I have yet to find a ukulele that doesn't have dead zones on the fret board. Every uke on my signature has them in different areas. I was frustrated by this initially but after discussing with several other players (and Andrew at HMS), I became more resigned to it being a quirk of a short scale instrument. Andrew made the point that well made ukes are built to be so highly resonant that it's inevitable that some notes won't be as resonant- if that makes sense. I also now understand it to be a result of how the uke body is tuned and what are it's dominant frequencies. I'm still searching for the grail ukulele that not only has amazing tone but no dead notes..

Last edited:
Your description of dead notes being 'dry and tight' is spot on. I have yet to find a ukulele that doesn't have dead zones on the fret board. Every uke on my signature has them in different areas. I was frustrated by this initially but after discussing with several other players (and Andrew at HMS), I became more resigned to it being a quirk of a short scale instrument. Andrew made the point that well made ukes are built to be so highly resonant that it's inevitable that some notes won't be as resonant- if that makes sense. I also now understand it to be a result of how the uke body is tuned and what are it's dominant frequencies. I'm still searching for the grail ukulele that not only has amazing tone but no dead notes..
I don't want to accept this! Yes...every instrument will have some 'dead' zones, but this problem of a 'dead' A is not an absolute: as I wrote, my Tangi has no such problem. That's not to say there aren't a few dead notes higher up the neck and on the other strings, but first octave of the A is fully resonant and 'open'.

I really believe it is either in saddle/bridge. A more serious problem would a bracing issue.
You may need to have a luthier look at it.

I don't want to accept this! Yes...every instrument will have some 'dead' zones, but this problem of a 'dead' A is not an absolute: as I wrote, my Tangi has no such problem. That's not to say there aren't a few dead notes higher up the neck and on the other strings, but first octave of the A is fully resonant and 'open'.

I agree it would be surprising to have an open string be the dead note. You say it's the open A string that sounds dry and tight. If you play the same note on the E string (5th fret) does it also sound dry and tight? If not then I agree with SailingUke that perhaps it's the saddle or something else set-up related.

My previous comment was intended not about your uke specifically but more generally about understanding dead notes are natural and not a flaw in the instrument. My aNueNue Moonbird has two zones on the fretboard that are obviously dead to my ears. HMS sent me out a second instrument and the issue was exactly the same. So that was telling and I felt assured that it wasn't a setup issue. I kept the second aNueNue and it is still one of my favorite instruments despite those challenging areas. I corresponded with Tobias Elof as he plays aNueNue and he pretty much said he just doesn't think about it. It seems he just channels wonderful music and I think he instinctively makes adjustments as he goes. Good luck.

The open A string itself isn't a dead note, just less full and resonant than I think it should be (in comparison to the other strings), and this problem continues until about the 6th fret, where the sound is more open. I'll look into the set up (there's a luthier nearby who did good work on my Tangi a while back) and report back.

Top Bottom