Kala prototypes

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I noticed some Kala prototypes being sold on Reverb, just search there by typing in Kala prototype to see them all. To me, this one looks real nice. Love the woods with herringbone purfling and rosette, very classy. This one was a one-off 2020 prototype which they decided not to move forward with. If they made this with wider than 35mm specs at the nut, I'd be very interested. There is also another tenor, 1 of 4 prototypes that they made for James Hill, but that one is almost twice the price.

https://reverb.com/item/34433192-ka...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34433192

20200716_125224.jpg
20200716_125246.jpg
20200716_125153.jpg

Last edited:
Very attractive. It has a nice classy understated look

Interesting! Are these wood or laminate backed models?

I like that look too, John.
I've been watching with interest as those "used" and prototype ukes go up for sale.

I'm not sure if he'd appreciate this insider info, but I have figured out that the lister is none other than Mike Upton, the owner of Kala Ukuleles in Petaluma (where the Elite line is made). I believe he's clearing house of their large collection of prototypes.
I've noted, however, that the "used" prices plus shipping are little different from similarly appointed Kala retail sale ukes - that are new with tags and free shipping.
So he's not selling these off very fast...

If you love that herringbone look, I think this model is a screamin' deal (with fancy mahogany back/sides rather than the ebony). I love that they have ebony fretboards rather than walnut. Never got used to the light walnut. Nice appointments, I don't think they'll last long.

https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-ssem-t?_pos=19&_sid=6cb1a06ac&_ss=r

The Kala Factory in Petaluma has an outlet sale a couple times a year... Ukes like this used to end up there. I guess during the pandemic they have figured out a different way to sell them!

Would love to hear some sound samples. I also liked the spruce/rosewood. The back join on the rosewood displays its grain beautifully.

Bet a customer could negotiate a deal on one of those.

Bluesy.

Here's this one, on the right, compared to my Elite doghair, on the left. My doghair is the standard version, with pau ferro FB and bridge, no top binding, and standard tuners.

View attachment 134098

The one with ebony fingerboard and binding was sold at HMS as a limited elite model in 2020. I almost bought one but got the limited elite 1koa instead. Both elites had defective Graph Tech tuning heads that failed within days (including the demo models in the shop). HMS replaced the defective tuners with Gotoh Planetary. The limited 1koa is my fav 'ukulele.

The one with ebony fingerboard and binding was sold at HMS as a limited elite model in 2020. I almost bought one but got the limited elite 1koa instead. Both elites had defective Graph Tech tuning heads that failed within days (including the demo models in the shop). HMS replaced the defective tuners with Gotoh Planetary. The limited 1koa is my fav 'ukulele.

Oh, I thought your doggies were your faves. They sound great on your recordings. Do you have any recordings of the koa? I'd love to hear it, and the difference.

I was unhappy with the Koa Elite after all the tuners broke and didn't play it much until recently. It has a mellow harp-like voice when strummed—basically less bright and aggressive sounding than the Elite puppies. The dogs really pop in an ensemble whereas the Koa tends to blend. It has a little less string tension than the dogs, albeit strung with the same strings (lighter bracing?). But no serious recordings yet. Maybe later this Summer when I have to start working on my Fall classes.

Very interesting Peter. Esp that you feel the koa is less bright and aggressive than the doghair. Maybe it's because your dog has the X-bracing. Thinking of a koa Elite as having less treble than a doghair Elite is way off my initial thoughts that koa is always brighter than mahogany. I guess the build/design matters alot too; maybe the X-braced Elites are a whole different animal.

Last edited:
All mine have the X bracing. But, yeah, assuming the quality of materials and design are equal, I've normally found koa to be a little brighter than mahogany. Not the case here.

Got a chance to compare an older 2018 fan braced doghair Elite 1MHG-T mahogany tenor to a newer 2019 uke, same exact model, but with the x-bracing. The x-braced model projected better, was louder and clearer. It also vibrated more into my body. The fan braced version was a much warmer middy sound. It seems the x-bracing really opened up the sound by comparison. Both had clear flouro strings, reentrant tuning. Quite a difference, IMO. I liked the x-braced version much more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom