String shelf-life?

sbanacho

Reaction score
I while back I bought a variety of different strings to try out. I never got around to swapping them because the current strings life is still going (not playing that much, tbh).

Is there any concern around keeping unused strings for a long time?

Probably depends on the material. As environmentalists report many plastics don't degrade for decades even in the sun or ocean. So the trend is to create plastic that won't last forever. I think that sugar and bionylon strings are a step in that direction, which also implies that they won't last for many years.

This question pops up every few months. The general consensus here seems to be if they were kept out of uv light and severe temperatures, most will be good for many, many years (decades even!). However, the point about some newer strings degrading quicker is something I never thought about until now.

I have a small collection of Ukuleles, but play the same ones on a regular bases . Every now and agine I will re-tune and play a ukulele that has not been played for years. So far I have never noticed a problem with the strings .

A couple of weeks ago I fitted a set of Aquila Nylgut strings that have been in an envelope for about twelve years. They're fine.

John Colter

Thanks for the replies. I think both sets of strings I am saving are Flourocarbons, so sounds like I should have no worries.

I recently bought a 1950s-era Harmony Roy Smeck soprano which had old but probably not original fluorocarbon strings. They were brittle. But I'm pretty sure the uke was just left on a shelf and didn't get a huge amount of TLC. New fluoros on there and it's fine.

I was wondering about this and searched and found this thread. Good answers to a question most noobs probably wonder about at some point. Sounds like shelf life not a worry for most strings. I was going to order some sets of Aquila Nylgut strings and another item or two in one order to take advantage of free shipping. Strings and Beyond offers free shipping for orders over $35.00 - so adding another set or two of strings to reach the $35 mark seems to make sense.

Top Bottom