Your favorite wood configuration for ‘ukulele

In terms of hardness, density, and sound radiation, koa and mahogany are almost the same, but as noted in the chart can sound different. Yet even Corey and Kalei, who play all kinds of ukes made from different woods, in an HMS podcast couldn't guess 100% what woods they were playing with their eyes closed.

Ed1, I remember watching an HMS podcast and they talked about doing the blindfold test, but I never saw that particular podcast when they did it — can you tell me which podcast this is? Thanks!

Ed1, I remember watching an HMS podcast and they talked about doing the blindfold test, but I never saw that particular podcast when they did it — can you tell me which podcast this is? Thanks!

I tried, and couldn't find it. I thought it might have been the koaloha one but it didn't look like a complete Friday night podcast but more like a comparison without the fun. I think they were comparing/reviewing one brand of ukes and had koa, mahogany, and mango. At the end they were fooling around and seeing if they could tell the difference. If I find it, I'll let you know.

I tried, and couldn't find it. I thought it might have been the koaloha one but it didn't look like a complete Friday night podcast but more like a comparison without the fun. I think they were comparing/reviewing one brand of ukes and had koa, mahogany, and mango. At the end they were fooling around and seeing if they could tell the difference. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Thanks, Ed1, that’d be awesome if you come across it and send it my way — thanks, again!

They were comparing the Ponos on TUR 19.7

Thank you so much, Ms Bean!!! Can’t wait to check it out — don’t know how I missed it. I’m pretty regular with watching these the HMS Ukulele Review podcasts. Thanks, again! :)

Glad it was found. Let's see, it was Pono and not Koaloha and Tobias and not Kalei who did the blind testing. How's that for my remembering! :(

Beau Hannam is finishing my uke now. I knew I wanted a cedar top, and let him pick everything else. He paired it with rosewood back/sides. It hasnt come yet, but hopefully soon. I really like cedar as a tone wood. A bit warmer than spruce, but still articulate for finger style which is about all I do. I really think top for sound, and the rest is more eye candy as long as its reasonably hard/dense. But even more than the wood, I think the builder makes the most difference.

For non-custom... im still really surprised more people haven't jumped on the Rebel band wagon. Even though they use all the main tonewoods, their tone is very consistently great and the build quality is very custom like.

If you want a custom, Id suggest getting on the waiting list now, and then figure out what you want when your turn is up. I've got on the list shortly after the luthiers for a cause finish, so a little more than 2.5 years.

Top Bottom