Your favorite wood configuration for ‘ukulele

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
I’d love to learn what your favorite wood configuration is in an ‘ukulele and why you feel that way. I’m considering ordering a custom ‘ukulele; I have in mind a particular set of wood types that I’d want to use, but I want to expand my horizons and hear about what others would choose. Thank you for your input and for sharing! :)

My favorite is London plane. Why? Because it is pretty. Let's face it, ukuleles are ukuleles. There isn't a lot of variation in sound. So you may as well get a beauty. People who obsess on the minute nuances between ukuleles say that London plane is rather warm and that it has a distinct voice. At this point, I couldn't comment because I have played it for so long that it is my default sound. Moreover I play in an altered tuning 100% of the time, so that I cannot even compare my uke to others.

Another answer to "why" is that I had an idée fixe that the London plane addresses. Everyone is avid about attaining an island uke. So I bespoke an island uke--except the island isn't one of the sandwich islands but rather one of the "roast beef, yorkshire pudding, stilton cheese" islands. My uke is London plane, English walnut, viburnum, and cherry (all woods coming from Great Britian).

My uke is London plane, English walnut, viburnum, and cherry (all woods coming from Great Britian).
I misread that as “vibranium”. I bet the Wakandan built ukes have a truly legendary sound!

On topic, when I was able to A/B test a bunch of otherwise alike K-brand ukes in Hawaii a couple of years ago I liked the mango the best. The ones I wanted were well out of budget. Of the ukes I actually own (other non-laminated are ‘hog, acacia, and spruce top), I like the carbon fiber (Klos) and walnut (Bonanza). Both have some cool factor for me in being a bit different.

I misread that as “vibranium”. I bet the Wakandan built ukes have a truly legendary sound!

On topic, when I was able to A/B test a bunch of otherwise alike K-brand ukes in Hawaii a couple of years ago I liked the mango the best. The ones I wanted were well out of budget. Of the ukes I actually own (other non-laminated are ‘hog, acacia, and spruce top), I like the carbon fiber (Klos) and walnut (Bonanza). Both have some cool factor for me in being a bit different.

Thanks, Arcy, for sharing your feedback. Years ago on the forum, someone posted pics of a beautiful custom tenor (or maybe it was a bari) walnut uke — I want to say it was made by John Kinnard, but I could be wrong. Ever since that time, walnut has been one of those woods on my radar as a possibility in a future custom build. I recently heard Corey play a gorgeous Steve Grimes custom uke on The Ukulele Review — it had a solid cedar top with walnut back and sides. Loved it. I have thought about Koa, too, as a potential wood as well. So many incredible woods to choose from...

I have two answers for this:

One: I absolutely love the sound and look of Koa. However, I'm probably more traditionalist in that if I'm getting a Koa uke I want a Hawaiian ukulele maker (or another maker that's been making ukuleles for 100+ years)--you can see this evident in my signature block ukes. BUT.... that's KOA, which leads me to my next answer.

Two: If I was getting a custom made, I would want the top to be cedar (or maybe sinker redwood). I love the look and sound--warm, but clear and articulate. Then, I'd ask for a good hardwood for the sides and back. My current reference is a cedar top with Indian rosewood back and sides, and I love that uke.

FWIW, if I was ordering a custom, I'd also ask for a 14-fret-to-body neck (more room to play with and I think more power in the strings) and either a slot head or rear-facing peg/UPT tuners (no ears).

I’d love to learn what your favorite wood configuration is in an ‘ukulele and why you feel that way. I’m considering ordering a custom ‘ukulele; I have in mind a particular set of wood types that I’d want to use, but I want to expand my horizons and hear about what others would choose. Thank you for your input and for sharing! :)

Let me pull out an old chestnut. Its not the wood, its the builder.

My advice. Pick your builder, and then work with your builder. If your builder gives you options then discuss these options with your builder. Don't ask your builder to work with woods that he has never used before because you will become the "experiment".

Having said all that, I'm kind of a traditionalist and I like instruments with the body built totally from one wood, be it Mahogany, Koa or Australian Blackwood. If however the builder is experienced and comfortable with Spruce tops then get a spruce top.
The wood isn't the biggest factor here.

Because I like the way my Martin Style 0 soprano looks, feels, and sounds:

Mahogany top, back, sides, neck, and bridge
Rosewood fretboard
Ebony nut and saddle

My ukulele was rescued and repaired by PetalumaRescuke. If I were getting a brand new one, or a Timms custom, I would choose the classic Martin ukulele blend.

Dgame and Bellgamin - dead right.

John Colter

This is a really difficult question to answer. For me, it really does depend on what sound I want to hear when I play a tenor uke.

I suppose Indian Rosewood body with a Sitka Spruce top is one that jumps to mind. It's so versatile. It can change it's voice depending upon the strings you use. And always sound great.

It probably gives the most guitar-like bell sound. Complex and nuanced. Whether a medium-level or a high-end tenor, it doesn't disappoint.

Ask me tomorrow, and I'll probably give you a different answer. Myrtle?

Anthony really did hit the nail on the head when he said the builder makes the most difference. I work with Luis of LfdM a lot and he said something that gave me the biggest lightbulb moment about stringed instruments I ever had. He said when when tap toning the top and voicing the instrument he is looking for a certain tone or sound. Guess what ever luthier has a preferred tone. Some might want to achieve bright, warm, punchy, resonant, loud, soft, maybe a Hawaiian sound or maybe a guitar like sound. Interview your builder so their idea of tone matches your.

I love a guitar like tone with projection, sustain and resonance. I have a spruce and rosewood, spruce and myrtle, spruce and cocobolo, spruce and bocote and a spruce and mahogany in my collection. I guess I like spruce. Good luck, having a custom build uke is a lot of fun. You are a good player and will really appreciate the difference.

Anthony really did hit the nail on the head when he said the builder makes the most difference. I work with Luis of LfdM a lot and he said something that gave me the biggest lightbulb moment about stringed instruments I ever had. He said when when tap toning the top and voicing the instrument he is looking for a certain tone or sound. Guess what ever luthier has a preferred tone. Some might want to achieve bright, warm, punchy, resonant, loud, soft, maybe a Hawaiian sound or maybe a guitar like sound. Interview your builder so their idea of tone matches your.

I love a guitar like tone with projection, sustain and resonance. I have a spruce and rosewood, spruce and myrtle, spruce and cocobolo, spruce and bocote and a spruce and mahogany in my collection. I guess I like spruce. Good luck, having a custom build uke is a lot of fun. You are a good player and will really appreciate the difference.
There are broad strokes when people talk about woods but similar to what has been said the builder makes a big difference. I have been blessed to try different woods from the same builder and the best analogy is eating salmon that is cooked in different styles. It is still salmon but salmon from a Thai restaurant will be very different than one from an Italian. So decide your cuisine and then ask the chef what he likes. Some builders like Koa more, some like redwood and others who will not touch it..

Oh! I need to do a NUD for my redwood top fluke! It is amazing!

I prefer a traditional build as well so a uke made completely out of quality mahogany or koa, maybe acacia, is generally to my liking. But I do like more modern builds as well depending on the manufacturer. Something like a spruce top combined with rosewood or acacia back and sides is generally really nice. Cedar top probably as well but I have less experience with that.

But I have to agree with a few peeps here that it's the luthier/manufacturer that matters more than the type of wood used. I can more or less tell how a uke from a certain builder or brand will sound like regardless of the materials used (not in every single case of course). I also have to agree with ripock with his post on the previous page. I absolutely love the idea of having a uke or any other instrument made from local materials. I'm fact, I have a uke commisioned from a luthier that mostly uses locally and ecologically sourced woods. They are not the most traditional woods used in uke building but I had a chance to try one of his ukes out and it sounded wonderful. I'll definitely make a NUD once it's ready.

I absolutely love the idea of having a uke or any other instrument made from local materials. I'm fact, I have a uke commissioned from a luthier that mostly uses locally and ecologically sourced woods. They are not the most traditional woods used in uke building but I had a chance to try one of his ukes out and it sounded wonderful. I'll definitely make a NUD once it's ready.

I also liked this idea, so much that I'm having a concert ukulele built with all North American woods; Port Orford Cedar top and Oregon Myrtle back and sides. I should have it in a couple of weeks and will definitely be posting a NUD when I get it. I've never played this particular combination but from reading and listening to other reviews it seems to be just the sound I'm looking for. We shall see soon!

For sheer beauty and tone, cocobolo wood Dalbergia Retusa is my fave.
Here's a pic.
cocobololumber.jpg

Koa or mahogany, because that's what I like...

Top Bottom