Slow Blues in C (Risa Strat-Style Electric Tenor)

Lapyang

Reaction score
I bought this Risa Strat-Style Electric Tenor in Jan 2020 out of curiosity. I really did not know how to play an electric uke. It is very different from the usual nylon string uke. The type of songs I used to play really don't work on steel strings with loooonnnnnngggg sustain. So it has been put to the side.
Then a couple of weeks ago, Brenda (SoloRule) and I were messaging each other and somehow the topic of electric uke came up. That brought my attention back on the Risa Tenor.
I came across a YouTube Channel called Active Melody. It is a guitar channel. But one of the videos is about Triads. It only uses the top 3 strings of a guitar. So I figured it should work on a electric uke.

Here it is:

Hey, Joseph! If it's true that you didn't know how to play electric uke, I'd say you're a quick learner! Wonderful playing! :)

Thank you, John. Yeah, electric uke is an entirely different beast. Not only the longer sustain but also the finger noise! I have to learn how to quite and noise and mute the strings not in play.

Before I clicked play.... I thought to myself... Joseph bought another toy ! As soon as you hit that first note...I knew I was in for a treat.
This is definitely one of your best performances
This type of music and instrument suit your style so well. Congratulations I think you have found your calling !!! This is definitely your style.
You must share this on Uke talk to get more audience

Before I clicked play.... I thought to myself... Joseph bought another toy ! As soon as you hit that first note...I knew I was in for a treat.
This is definitely one of your best performances
This type of music and instrument suit your style so well. Congratulations I think you have found your calling !!! This is definitely your style.
You must share this on Uke talk to get more audience

Thanks, Brenda. I am glad you like it. This kind of music is entirely new to me. This is the first time I play with a jam track. It took me a few tries to get the timing. And the note-bending is a new skill I need to practice.

I agree with Brenda. You definitely have a real feel for this instrument and playing the blues. Well done, Joseph!

Jan

I agree with Brenda. You definitely have a real feel for this instrument and playing the blues. Well done, Joseph!

Jan

Thank you, Jan. I think the credit should go to the composer of this cool little tune, it sounds way cool!

Thanks, Kathryn! I took me 6 months to find one song I like that suits this electric uke. I hope the next one won’t take as long.

I agree with everyone else, that sounded terrific, well done.

I can relate to your struggles with steel strings and endless sustain. I had a Risa LP that I eventually sold. Wish I had of discovered the blues as you did. I subscribe to Active Melody as well, you never know where you will learn something from.

I agree with everyone else, that sounded terrific, well done.

I can relate to your struggles with steel strings and endless sustain. I had a Risa LP that I eventually sold. Wish I had of discovered the blues as you did. I subscribe to Active Melody as well, you never know where you will learn something from.

Thank you, Dave.

I like Active Melody a lot. Even though it is a Guitar site, the concept in it can be applied to all sorts of fretboard instruments. I am not playing guitar but using it to learn Guitarlele.

Wow Joseph, very cool instrument, and great playing! I'm sure the steel strings are very different. Looking forward to hearing more!

Thank you, John. After spending some time figuring out steel strings ukulele, I am not as avert to them as before.

Thanks, Brenda. I am glad you like it. This kind of music is entirely new to me. This is the first time I play with a jam track. It took me a few tries to get the timing. And the note-bending is a new skill I need to practice.

In deference to your skill on and in other genres I hesitate to ask this, but I will. Are you familiar with the blues Pentatonic maj and minor scales ? Not trying to teach anybody to suck eggs . You obviously know your way round the fretboard. The blues scales contain the blues notes that subtly alter the major and minor stabdard scales
and give the bluesy sound to the ....well , the blues. Nice performance.

Last edited:
In deference to your skill on and in other genres I hesitate to ask this, but I will. Are you familiar with the blues Pentatonic maj and minor scales ? Not trying to teach anybody to suck eggs . You obviously know your way round the fretboard. The blues scales contain the blues notes that subtly alter the major and minor stabdard scales
and give the bluesy sound to the ....well , the blues. Nice performance.

Thanks, CeeJay. I have a couple of ukulele blues method books that I read last year. Major and minor pentatonic scales, along with the blues scale were covered. They didn’t mean much to me at that time. Now that I am starting to look at blues music, these scales start to make more sense to me. I hope something will “click” soon...

Top Bottom