I need FAST answers so my choice doesn't get sold to someone else

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm considering 2 different Romero *large* concert ukuleles. Both are the same model except that one is solid mango and the other is solid mahogany. Matt from alohacityukes did a comparison video for me at HERE -- first the mahogany, then the mango, then the mahogany. Please give a listen and tell me:

1- Which of the 2 has a darker, warmer sound? To what degree (lots, some, barely noticeable)?
2- Which has more sustain? To what degree (lots, some, barely noticeable)?
3- Which has a fuller, more balanced sound? To what degree (lots, some, barely noticeable)?

By the way, I am totally unconcerned as to which looks prettier.

Thanks for any comments you might offer.

Last edited:
I listened with headphone on and both are quite close in sound. Though the mango sounds abit more crisp to me. Not sure if that means the mahogany one is ‘warmer’ in that regards.
Sustain differences not noticeable to me.

1. Mahogany seems somewhat warmer.

2. I don't hear a difference.

3. Mango seems to have less mid-range, more pronounce highs. I'd consider the difference "some."

I listened twice: first time eyes open and with crappy chromebook speakers; the second time with my eyes closed and with a cheap headset. For me the mahogany might have slightly longer sustain and warmer tone. The mango has more clarity, and for me the better balance of the two. I don't think that the mango sounds too bright, I'd rather say that the highs on the mahogany Romero were too quiet.

I listened with some decent speakers.

Hog seems warmer. Mango seems a bit brighter.
Sustain - hog might have a bit more sustain, not a big difference.
Mango seems more balanced.

I suspect you'd be happy with either of them. (Or both of them. LOL.)

They both sound like warm ukes to me. The mahogany is probably slightly more warmer with a slightly little more lower end but I also think the mango has more clarity in the mids and highs. I prefer the mango because of the pronounced highs. What’s funny is they both sound like tenors to me. Both are great choices. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I think the mahogany is a bit warmer, enough to notice, but not by a huge amount.

Sustain was pretty close on both, and seemed good to my ears.

I think that the mango is noticeably more balanced, and is the one that I preferred overall, but they both sounded quite nice.

What really matters is not what any of us think, it is what you want that matters.

Here is my advice. Flip a coin. Heads goes to the mango, tails goes to the mahogany. Let the coin fall to the floor. When you go to look at the coin, you will be hoping it is one instead of the other. Now ignore the coin and go for the one you were hoping it was.

I have the mahogany and love it. On the video, it seems a little warmer to me than the mango, which also sounds nice. The deep body makes mine very resonant, especially with the low g. The mahogany is the one Corey at HMS in one of their reviews played it, held it up, laughed and said "That's cheating" because it's a concert scale uke that sounds close to a tenor.

1. Hog a little warmer
2. Sustain on both was great
3. I'd give balance to the hog listening a few times to Matt striking the individual strings, but that could just be the way Matt hit 'em.

I like the sound of both on the video, but if I had to buy one of the two again, I would get the mahogany . . . or maybe the mango . . . no, the mahogany . . . no wait . . .

Good luck with your purchase. :)

Last edited:
GREAT comments all around!!! Problem is -- now I want BOTH of them -- UAS sickness to the max (sigh).

I'll sleep on it tonight and decide on the morrow. Of course, any further comments would be greatly appreciated.

I listened to the video without watching and the first and the third one sound the best. I watched the video and the first and third one still sound the best.

You are only allowed to buy both ukes if the coin toss ends up with the coin standing on the rim!

Bellgamin,

If I remember correctly, you already have a Mahogany uke or three. So I would go for the mango. Something different. This one is warm and balanced and I thought the notes were cleaner, but it doesn't seem to have quite the projection the mahogany does. The sustain was pretty close from what I could hear on my earbuds.Not enough to sway me one way or the other.

Gross characteristics, because the mic and the recording process colors the sound. I think you'll be happy with either.

Not to do with your sound samples, but mahogany is usually warmer in tone,

I have several mahogany ukes because I like its tone, but I have bought acacia too, & like it for its brighter sound, it's not the same as spruce, doesn't have quite such a light tone.

Inevitably, it is down to your ears, as to which sounds the best. :)

I haven't given Mango much attention in my uke searches but I have to say it has a crisp punchy tone. But I like them both! Good luck

I'm considering 2 different Romero *large* concert ukuleles. Both are the same model except that one is solid mango and the other is solid mahogany. Matt from alohacityukes did a comparison video for me at HERE -- first the mahogany, then the mango, then the mahogany. Please give a listen and tell me:

1- Which of the 2 has a darker, warmer sound? To what degree (lots, some, barely noticeable)?
2- Which has more sustain? To what degree (lots, some, barely noticeable)?
3- Which has a fuller, more balanced sound? To what degree (lots, some, barely noticeable)?

So which concert, if either, did you buy and how do you like it?

Here is my advice. Flip a coin. Heads goes to the mango, tails goes to the mahogany. Let the coin fall to the floor. When you go to look at the coin, you will be hoping it is one instead of the other. Now ignore the coin and go for the one you were hoping it was.

I love that. It’s basically “go with your gut”, but sometimes we overthinkers need a way to know what our gut says.

So which concert, if either, did you buy and how do you like it?
As of 7.26.2020, here on Oahu, we have a Category 1 hurricane heading directly for our island -- due to hit ~2PM, & to have effect for several hours thereafter. Most of the homes on Oahu, including mine, were NOT built with hurricanes in mind. No, not at all.

Ergo, I'm conserving $$$ for now, in case my home (or my person) needs unbudgeted repairs. Afterward, if another uke acquisition is still feasible, I'm now leaning toward getting a tenor sized body with a concert scale because of my growing desire to use open chords*** more frequently.

*** Open Chords: chords spanning more than an octave, involving fingerings spanning 4 or more frets (as defined by Brad Bordessa in Ukulele Chord Shapes, ISBN 978- 1533350398, pages 14 & 19).

I learned a LOT from Brad's short book (just 55 pages). The chapter "Building a Chord," starting on page 39, significantly changed my entire understanding of chord structure & voicing. It's not an easy book to find but well worth the search. I downloaded a version of the book before I found a hard copy -- the computer version is difficult to use (for me, at least). The hard copy is not.

Top Bottom