Under saddle passive pickup

Al.bull

Reaction score
Hi first post from new member.I have only been playing for about 6 months and I am looking to put a pickup in my Kremona Mari tenor I am thinking of an passive under saddle which will be plugged straight into my vox d85 they seem to be cheap or very expensive only going to be played in the home thanks

For the past few years the Kremona Mari shipped with the KNA UK-1 passive pickup. You didn't care for it? I wasn't terribly pleased with UK-1 tone through my Trace Elliot Acoustic Cube. After a couple months my shirtsleeve snagged on it and broke it at jack so that was that. I have a Baggs Five-O in another ukulele and love the tone and response. It's active but sounds better than the UK-1 and the Pono passive on my other ukulele (but the Pono is really good for a passive).

For the past few years the Kremona Mari shipped with the KNA UK-1 passive pickup. You didn't care for it? I wasn't terribly pleased with UK-1 tone through my Trace Elliot Acoustic Cube. After a couple months my shirtsleeve snagged on it and broke it at jack so that was that. I have a Baggs Five-O in another ukulele and love the tone and response. It's active but sounds better than the UK-1 and the Pono passive on my other ukulele (but the Pono is really good for a passive).

I have Pono passives on two of my Ponos (go figure). They work really well. See the HMS pickup comparisons videos. There are two caveats you need to know:

1. HMS recommended the Pono Passive pickup for use on ukuleles with a deep slot in the bridge for the saddle. Which Ponos have. If your uke has a shallow slot, you should think about a spot pickup.

2. You probably know this already. You need a separate preamp or an amplifier with a built-in preamp for a passive pickup to work. Some PA systems have difficulties with passives.

I also have ukes with MiSi, Baggs 5.0 and K&K Twin Spot actives. All work quite well with my BOSS Acoustic Singer amp.

Top Bottom