D chord

Honestly guys. Rootless chords are a "thing" and not that unusual or unknown.
Ukulele chords with only 3 or 4 notes can be quite ambiguous sometimes and I like them that way.
It's part and parcel of the ukulele sound.

Honestly guys. Rootless chords are a "thing" and not that unusual or unknown.
Ukulele chords with only 3 or 4 notes can be quite ambiguous sometimes and I like them that way.
It's part and parcel of the ukulele sound.

But it isn't called "C7 no root" (for example); it's called "E dim".

Rather, it is called C7 (it just so happens that one of the notes is omitted). The thing about theory is that is it a language that musicians use to communicate. By calling the chord E°, you are completely obscuring the act of communication. For example, if I were playing a simple blues progression in F and playing up the neck, I would most certainly play C7 as X767 because I cannot be arsed about the G string in that shape. I always do it; even when I play G7 I mute the G string. The point being: although I am omitting one note, I am playing the I IV V progression which everyone understands. If we use your E°, then I am playing a I IV VII° which just doesn't represent the reality of the situation and it complicates matters. Remember that just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should do it. For example, instead of saying that I am playing in C, I could say that I am playing in B#######, but that just makes things impossible to be readily understood. In parting I want to say that I am not a professional musician, but I have always been taught to name things in the system in which they exist and to name things in the easiest possible way (for instance, you always say the key of Ab and not G# because Ab has four flats whereas G# has eight sharps). So I don't have any authority other than the fact that I've been reading and annotating music this way since the 80's.

Top Bottom