Uma Pulse KC Multiscale Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
You're right, the bass is very dominant in your review. I can't remember when I saw it elsewhere last year if it was that extreme. Maybe the recording equipment played a role as well.
SUS stocks them as well, I noticed.

How unusual! I think it might go. There is a guitarist, a friend of Tommy Emanuel, who plays exclusively, a guitar made like this. If I were a lo G player....all it needs is a chamfered armrest.

I saw these on SUS and was very intrigued. I'm actually looking to try low G on a uke but I don't think the looks are for me even though I do like the concept. I'll probably convert one of my existing ukes to low G and try it for a bit. If I fall in love with it I might consider this again.

I had a look at the brand and they seem to be Taiwanese. Seemed quite nice overall. They have some models that are clearly aimed at children which explains the headstock logo. Fairly similar to aNueNue in that regard - another Taiwanese brand in fact - but they don't seem to offer the very high-end stuff.

Certainly not full high end in price, but meant what I said - this is easily on a par with pro classic Ponos I think - and they can reach £1000 in the UK

Certainly not full high end in price, but meant what I said - this is easily on a par with pro classic Ponos I think - and they can reach £1000 in the UK
@bazmaz -- As I recall, some time ago you reviewed another ukulele with fanned frets etc. Please remind me of that review's URL -- I want to read again your reviews of that one and this (Uma) one. I am a bassy-loving fanatic so will likely buy one or the other of these.

Aloha,
Bill

Last edited:
@bazmaz -- As I recall, some time ago you reviewed another ukulele with fanned frets etc. Please remind me of that review's URL -- I want to read again your reviews of that one and this (Uma) one. I am a bassy-loving fanatic so will likely buy one or the other of these.

Aloha,
Bill

Never have Bill - this is the first and only fan fret uke I have reviewed.

Never have Bill - this is the first and only fan fret uke I have reviewed.
@bazmaz.....

Sheesh -- I must have read it somewhere else. Who knows? -- I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning but I can readily recall things that happened many years ago. Old age -- ain't it grand? (^_^)

In any event, I just bought an Uma Pulse Tenor with solid spruce top & solid walnut B&S. I found it at PlayProMusic dot com, a Canadian outfit. I had to have it because your review said it was a bit too bassy for your taste. Well, I fervently looove bassy ukuleles. I suppose the spruce top might brighten it up a bit but I'm hoping its low G is still nicely pronounced. If not, some one of my grandkids or great-grandkids will get it. A win-win situation, wot?

Yes- to be clear - maybe I should not said it could NOT be done.. It probably can.. But - it's clearly a uke built and set up for a certain tuning is what I meant. Experimentation is good though!

That is one of the nicest songs I've ever heard him play.
I wonder if that fan fret uke would help my playing? hmmmmm....

Has tried an all solid acacia model of Uma without fancy fan frets.... the tone and sustain are really sweet and the body vibrates very nicely, with a good volume. At a price point that usually gets you a solid top. Haven't tried their lower end laminates though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom