VIDEO- Elevate Pin Sander

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
A new way to flatten the sides, faster.

IMG_1475.jpg
IMG_0075_polarr.jpg
IMG_1275_polarr 2.jpg

I bought one of those sanders a while back and it's a really valuable tool to me.

A very nifty tool indeed. My only reservation would be that you could get overly rambunctious with the thing and take too much off too quickly causing overly thin bindings or even go through a side. Sanding through a side is something that gives me nightmares. But what a time saver!

I've done the poor man's one sided version of this by just sticking a plain old sanding drum in a drill. So you don't have the extra handle. Has anyone compared that method to one of these back to back? I could see the handle being nice but I'm not sure if it's $150 nice (at least for a low volume builder like me).

I've done the poor man's one sided version of this by just sticking a plain old sanding drum in a drill. So you don't have the extra handle. Has anyone compared that method to one of these back to back? I could see the handle being nice but I'm not sure if it's $150 nice (at least for a low volume builder like me).

There are other ways to do this job- such as on the belt sander.

I'm a full time luthier so it makes more sense for me to buy such expensive machines and gadgets if it saves my arms sanding.

Apart from floor space and price, what advantages would this have over an oscillating spindle sander?
Miguel

Apart from floor space and price, what advantages would this have over an oscillating spindle sander?
Miguel

The problem with sanding the sides with any machine (be it this one or an oscillating spindle sander) is that is is pretty hard to sand the side evenly and to not "dip" it, or dig in just a touch- Hopefully this will be a bit easier. I doubt ill be using the 80 grit but 120 should be ok, ill probably buy a 180 too- I like using the highest grit i can as it takes "longer" to screw up if/when i do

You can get the shop fox version for $70 or a cheaper version on amazon for $37. May not be as good but probity are close in operation. Without some good dust control I don't think I would use one.

This Spindle Sander is the real deal guys and gals. It is very well made. I have used the 80 grit ( and 120 grit) on almost 15 ukes with no over-aggressive sanding mistakes. (This should be the litmus test for this tool.:)

Top Bottom