Just ordered a Pono Deluxe Spruce/Mahogany Baritone (MBD-SP)

LarryL

Reaction score
I have been debating for a while as to which way I wanted to go, so I just now pulled the trigger on the above mentioned baritone. I currently own an Opio concert and love it, but also wanted a baritone, for some reason or another. After doing some research I decided this one fit my needs and was within my budget...I dont think I will be disappointed in it from the reviews I have read. No point to my rambling, just wanted to share my excitement with fellow uke players (ukeist, ukeites ?? what are we ?)
:D

Last edited:
Congrats! I hope you enjoy your bari. I own two Pono baritones and find both to be quite nice. Love the radius fretboard and the tone. I think you made a wise choice. Haven't played the spruce top - but if I were adding another, it would be certainly one I'd consider.

Congrats! Ukuleleians? :rofl:

Spruce is a great choice for a barri's topwood. It brightens up the sound a bit so the bari sounds more like a uke & less like a guitar. I have 2 Pono baritones and they are both spruce-topped.

You are gonna LOVE your Pono baritone!!!

Congrats!!! You’re going to love your new Pono bari!!! I have the exact same model and I love mine! Yep, the radius fretboard sealed the deal for me, too, as I have wrist tendinitis in my fretting hand.

I think you ordered the one I had in my basket at HMS for the last few days :D It was a very good price.

Congrats on a good choice, I'm sure you'll love it! :shaka:

I think you'll be very happy. I have a regular and a steel string Spruce top Pono baritone and they are fantastic!

I think you ordered the one I had in my basket at HMS for the last few days :D It was a very good price.

Sorry about that...I did indeed order it from them...I decided to go with the full set up, as i am not in that big of a hurry...I will enjoy playing my KaOlaho Opio tenor in the meantime.
Thanks for all the positive responses...I am excited to get it !

There was a Cedar/Mahogany Pono Baritone a few days ago and I put that in my basket overnight too before it was snapped up. When you see what you like you really have to act fast these days! Make sure you report back when this one arrives.

Good Instruments. I have a Spruce and a Mango branded Pono. Using Worth Brown, and red Aquila. No curved fretboard on the Spruce nor the Mango. MGD & MBD SP MiSi fitted. No slotted headstock. They both sound very good.

Congrats Larry. I got the full set-up on my Pono too. HMS does a great job, it is definitely worth the wait. Be sure to post a review when you get it.

I have read on other threads that some are not happy with the strings that come on a Pono...what do you guys recommend on my Baritone...mine is still in the que for set up so I could probably request different strings or should I just wait and see if I like what is on there now and order some strings for future use for it...thanks in advance for any recommendations on string brands or type, etc.

I have read on other threads that some are not happy with the strings that come on a Pono...what do you guys recommend on my Baritone...mine is still in the que for set up so I could probably request different strings or should I just wait and see if I like what is on there now and order some strings for future use for it...thanks in advance for any recommendations on string brands or type, etc.

Hi, Larry L ~ I have the exact same model as you and mine came with Ko’olau ‘Alohi strings — which I am a HUGE fan of and love them! I recently learned that HMS is out of stock on them, so I am not sure if the factory still has them and is stringing them with these same strings or not. I have heard amazing things about Uke Logic High Tension strings — but I cannot play on those with having wrist tendonitis — therefore, I ordered a couple of sets of Uke Logic Soft Tension stings in lieu of not being able to order more Ko’olau ‘Alohi strings. I can’t wait to try out the Uke Logic Soft Tensions!

Hi, Larry L ~ I have the exact same model as you and mine came with Ko’olau ‘Alohi strings — which I am a HUGE fan of and love them! I recently learned that HMS is out of stock on them, so I am not sure if the factory still has them and is stringing them with these same strings or not. I have heard amazing things about Uke Logic High Tension strings — but I cannot play on those with having wrist tendonitis — therefore, I ordered a couple of sets of Uke Logic Soft Tension stings in lieu of not being able to order more Ko’olau ‘Alohi strings. I can’t wait to try out the Uke Logic Soft Tensions!

hochapeafarm...have you tried the uke logic soft tensions yet...I got my uke today and am very happy with it except for the strings....hoping to lower the action with truss rod adjustment.

I have played the Pono many hours since I got it Wednesday...I ordered some uke logic low tension strings and am taking it to my local tech when he gets back home next week. If I am not happy with it then, I will put it up for sale and maybe go the route of a custom made uke with a thin neck and low string action baritone. Its a beautiful looking and sounding instrument, just not easy enough to play for my taste, especially up the neck doing a lot of chord melody stuff. thanks

I also just received a Pono Spruce/Mahogany Baritone uke from The Ukulele Site. I like having a baritone to switch to if I need to sing something in a lower key without having to transpose the arrangement. This one is just what I hoped for. The Spruce top gives it a brighter tone, while the Mahogany keeps it warm, as well. It does have the thick, round neck that Ponos are known for, but with the radius fretboard it's not uncomfortable for me to play. The guys at HMS strung it with Worth Clears, and installed a 5.0 pickup for me, so it's going to work great for performing.

I'm a big fan of Pono ukuleles. I love what the folks at Ko'olau have done with the brand. Top shelf quality, reasonably priced. Combine that with an HMS setup, and you're good to go!

Top Bottom