Fanner electric ukes

Mongo41

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Fanner electric ukes out of South Africa? The online photos look fabulous but product reviews are scarce. I am also considering a Godin Multiuke or Risa and wondering how Fanners stack up. Thanks.

I had Brian Fanner make me a custom mini bass guitar, 22.8" scale. It came out really well, but being a design he never did before, it took much longer than expected, he said about 2 months, but it became almost a year, he also kept having equipment and computer problems. I'm sure his regular designs will be much quicker. It was $850 including shipping from South Africa to Los Angeles. His work is good and if you really like what you see, go for it.

Having said that, a couple years ago, I got lucky here in the Marketplace and scored a Godin Multiuke for $400. It's an excellent instrument, made for amplifying, but I think it's good even unplugged. I see that the price of used more than doubled. What I also like is it has nylon strings, having bought and quickly sold a couple of steel string ukes, I found that I much prefer the sound of nylon.

Fanner SG EB-0 mine 1024.jpg

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Congratulations on this nice looking bass. I have been looking at Fanner Uke lately. It seems he has a very good reputation. How is the construction? Are fret ends nicely smoothed? Workmanship OK?
I am also wondering how long did it take to ship from South Africa? Clearing US custom easily?
Thank you,

Congratulations on this nice looking bass. I have been looking at Fanner Uke lately. It seems he has a very good reputation. How is the construction? Are fret ends nicely smoothed? Workmanship OK? I am also wondering how long did it take to ship from South Africa? Clearing US custom easily? Thank you,

Yes, his construction is very good, smooth fret ends, finish work, he even hand made the pickup to match the original Gibson SG EB-0 in proportion to this smaller bass. If I remember, shipping took a few weeks, but I'm not sure if it was because his brother took a long time to drop it off, or the actual shipping time, or it was held in customs for a while.

Top Bottom