Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koaloha Opio & Anuenue AMM3 Tenor Ukulele Comparison

Default Koaloha Opio & Anuenue AMM3 Tenor Ukulele Comparison

Well done comparison. IMHO just the right amount of talking and playing. I’ve owned a Sapele version of Opio tenor which I didn’t like. It felt good in my hands but wasn’t clear from a note perspective. Glad to see acacia wood now and a much better sound.

That said, given your sound review, I’d like the ANUENUE AMM3 mahogany tenor for sound. It was clearer and seemed warmer to me.

Thanks for posting. I agree one could do well with either! I’d be curious after six month to find out which one you favour!
    Cheers

Great post berean. The radiused fretboard on the Anuenue sold me. I think with aging players you will see more and more companies making instruments with radiused fretboards. They are a blessing to older, cranky fingers and hands. Mine especially.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014 Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor Pepe Romero Baby Baritone Strings 6/21/2016 Martin S1 Soprano C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018 aNueNue AMM3 Tenor C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019

PS: berean, what about set up, is the Anuenue factory set up or did a dealer set up this instrument.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014 Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor Pepe Romero Baby Baritone Strings 6/21/2016 Martin S1 Soprano C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018 aNueNue AMM3 Tenor C Re-Entrant Tuning
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Well done comparison. IMHO just the right amount of talking and playing. I’ve owned a Sapele version of Opio tenor which I didn’t like. It felt good in my hands but wasn’t clear from a note perspective. Glad to see acacia wood now and a much better sound.

That said, given your sound review, I’d like the ANUENUE AMM3 mahogany tenor for sound. It was clearer and seemed warmer to me.

Thanks for posting. I agree one could do well with either! I’d be curious after six month to find out which one you favour!
    Cheers
    Thanks for the confirmation. I tried to balance the talking and playing, but sometimes you're not sure if you got the balance right. I also thought the Anuenue had more clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    Great post berean. The radiused fretboard on the Anuenue sold me. I think with aging players you will see more and more companies making instruments with radiused fretboards. They are a blessing to older, cranky fingers and hands. Mine especially.
    Thanks for the comment. I haven't played a uke with a radiused fretboard before so can't comment much on it yet. I have noticed the shallower neck has a different feel and sometimes my finger will slightly mute the "A" string. It should get better the more I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    PS: berean, what about set up, is the Anuenue factory set up or did a dealer set up this instrument.
    That's a good question. The ukes are sold by Kalei Gamiao and Corey Fujimoto who are excellent ukulele players light years beyond me. They should know a good uke setup, but I'm not sure if they do any additional setup when thye get the ukes in Hawaii. The action on the Anuenue was pretty good when I got it, but I did sand the saddle down very slightly. The action on my Koaloha was higher, and I had to sand the saddle down quite a bit for my taste.

I like them both, and I agree that the aNueNue has better clarity. For me the aNueNue performs best. The intonation in Somewhere over the Rainbow sounded better to my ears.

Thank you. Both sound very nice. I wanted to ask you if they both had the same action and you answered that at the end of the video. I felt that the lower action of the Opio contributed most to the audible differences, it sounded like the strings were not able to vibrate as freely in almost all the examples. I have an old KoAloha concert that has the same issue and I am waiting for a luthier friend to cut a new ebony saddle which hopefully will improve the uke. If you have a chance to bring it to KoAloha factory then they will fit a fresh saddle and setup.
    Last edited by merlin666; 07-23-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Thank you. Both sound very nice. I wanted to ask you if they both had the same action and you answered that at the end of the video. I felt that the lower action of the Opio contributed most to the audible differences, it sounded like the strings were not able to vibrate as freely in almost all the examples. I have an old KoAloha concert that has the same issue and I am waiting for a luthier friend to cut a new ebony saddle which hopefully will improve the uke. If you have a chance to bring it to KoAloha factory then they will fit a fresh saddle and setup.
    I agree with you about the lower action affecting the audible differences with the Opio. It was a lot harder to play up the neck than the Anuenue, and I sanded the saddle pretty much as far as it would go without buzzing. I would like to try it with a fresh saddle and setup by the factory and see how it affects the sound. Even before lowering the saddle, I don't think it had the clarity as the Anuenue.

Thread Information