Beat the heat

JoshuaKlive

Reaction score
I find nothing more soothing than playing the ukulele at the beach. But this isn't gonna happen this year, maybe not even the next one, who knows how the corona situation develops. Been thinking about putting in an above ground pool cause it's a cheaper alternative to in-ground, i guess. Bring the seaside to me, in a simpler form I guess. Any of you have suggestions that could help? First-time buyer and I'd like to not throw money out the window.

I Have something a lot cheaper. Soak a bandana in water, store it in the 'fridge, and tie it around your neck before you go outside. It should save you thousands of dollars, and maybe your life.

We put ice cubes in long cotton tube socks and hang them around our necks during long bike rides in hot weather.

Two years I bought our uke group a 10' x 10' venders tent same as you see lined up at festivals. The frame and covering folds into an 8" x 8" x 5' carry case. Great for protection from sun and rain. Inexpensive less than $200.

I find nothing more soothing than playing the ukulele at the beach. But this isn't gonna happen this year, maybe not even the next one, who knows how the corona situation develops. Been thinking about putting in an above ground pool cause it's a cheaper alternative to in-ground, i guess. Bring the seaside to me, in a simpler form I guess. Any of you have suggestions that could help? First-time buyer and I'd like to not throw money out the window.

If you are installing it yourself, you MUST make sure you have level ground. You may have to grade the ground. I bought one 12 years ago (and I still remember that fiasco :) I decided that my yard is just a little slanted (I used stakes strings on them at the same height from the ground to measure the levelness); it should be no problems, right? Hahaha.

So.. I unpacked the pool and started filling it up with water. Now, these pools (it was $400, i.e. a fairly large-ish pool) takes a lot of water, so I didn't feel like standing there and waiting... Long story short, the pool (because of the slant in the ground) emptied itself out after it was nearly full because the weight of the water crushed one of its walls! Talk about a lot of water flooding the yard. I still remember that I was worried more about my neighbors than anything.

Ok, so I decided, maybe if I just fill the pool up half way, then the water shouldn't spill, right? hahaha.

Nope, although no water spilled out on its own; as soon as I go into the pool and leaned against the wall, the wall collapsed. Apparently, the pool must be somewhat full so that my extra weight on 1 part of its wall is more or less negated by the large amount of water weight on the opposite side.

So, I ended up with this mess of a pool in my back yard for a few weeks as I slowly cut it up into pieces to dispose with my regular weekly trash pickup.

I'll never mess with any above ground pools again.

Actually, my pool experience was 14 years ago; not 12. That just proves how bad memories tend to stay fresher in minds than good ("The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.")

Top Bottom