New member-- hello and a question

TigerUke

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
Thanks for being here. Have read a lot of your posts and appreciate the vast knowledge of this group. I'm a novice Ukulele player with 2 ukes right now-- a Lanikai LU22CFM and a Kala KA JTE/2TS. I'm having a great time and learning more and more every day. My question for y'all is... I know when the Lanikai was made, as it was a limited edition, and thinking it's around 2011ish. But I'm not sure on the Kala. Both of these purchases were as pre-owned, without a lot of info. I have the older Kala JTE with the Shadow Nanoflex EQ, the satin (well, sort of matte) finish, with the two palm trees in abalone still on the fretboard version. It looks like they started making these in 2011? But not sure when they changed the EQ to the newer UK300T.... and I'm just basically trying to figure out when this particular one was made. I wrote Kala and they were nice enough to respond, but haven't told me when the switch in the EQ happened. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! All the Best... TigerUke

Welcome TigerUke! I'm new to UU and a beginner on the uke. I also have a Kala (KA-SMHCE-C). I had the same question about mine and also contacted Kala. Same response. I was told that sometimes the model # indicates the month & year it was manufactured, but that's not definite. I received some good advice from a seasoned uke owner - if you can find your uke described in a Kala catalog, you can tell when changes were made to your instrument. From best I can tell from my model # and catalog info, mine looks to be made in Aug of 2018 - it was actually discontinued after 2019. Takes a bit of research but it seems like you can narrow it down that way.
Hope that helps :)

Welcome Tiger! I'm pretty new here as well, and not too knowledgeable regarding Kala models, but greetings!

Hi, dcw uke.... I actually did get a response from Kala later this evening. They said this model with the shadow nano-flex amp was made in the particular configuration I described from 2013 to 2018. Strangely, I've seen posts from here from 2011 (winter) talking about the new "Jazz uke" sunburst pattern, etc. and wanting to order it. So, did it have a different amp in the beginning and then did the Shadow nano-flex appear in 2013? Or? The "twin palms" in abalone disappeared from the fretboard by 2016 or 2017. So not sure. They apparently continue to sell them today, but with the UK 300t amp.

Anyway, for $172.50, I think I did ok with a used version. Everything works fine, and it's bright with my amp. Quiet to play for acoustic, but that's fine. Hubby likes it and we are learning to play together with the Lanikai concert model I have. If we want to jam, there's the amp.

Peace and loves to all ! TigerUke

Last edited:
Hi there, jmart161!
Thanks for your message. Greetings to you as well! From what I can tell, this is all about having fun and making some music when and where you can. Hopefully, we can share some bits and pieces and learn and grow together! All the best! TigerUke

Welcome to UU TigerUke!
Don't know to much about Kalas, but it looks like you are getting some information to continue in your research.

Usually the serial number, if it has one, is the place that will have any date of mfg info.

I think Kala has the serial number on the label inside the ukulele.

Other companies have it on the neck block inside the uke. Or on one of the braces near the soundhole.

Enjoy your ukes.

Top Bottom