Concert building plans.

Ron Carter

Reaction score
I have assembled a Stewmack Tenor with a spruce top and find it a huge improvement over laminated beginner Tenor. Would like to take the next step and scratch build a Concert to add to my UAS. Have a well equipped wood shop including an 18 inch drum sander that will sand down to less than 2mm. Looking for a decent set of plans. Not adverse to paying a fair price. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Want to buy printed plans as opposed to PDF downloads.

Last edited:
Just scale down your Tenor to a concert.

I found that the typical concert body dimensions are darn close to 90% of those of the tenor I built. Quite comfortable with the construction details from the kit. Might have to consider that too. I have built a number of wooden boats. Scaling plans more than about 10% up or down can create serious problems because lengths and volumes respond to scaling very differently.

Last edited:
I have all the sizes of plans on my site. Generic plans abstracted from the average concert uke found here in Hawaii from 40 years of building and repairing ukes here. Order before the hurricane gets here on Saturday!--Bob/ Pegasus Guitars & Ukuleles

Elderly Music has the Scott Antes plans for a concert. You also may consider getting Graham McDonald’s book on ukulele construction
Brad

Unable to find plans on Elderly's web site. Now have McDonalds book on order. Thanks. At the rate I'm buying luthier books I'll soon have the price of a decent Concert invested. Consider it a good investment in learning a new craft.

I have the "Plan #71 – A Modern Ukulele Family" plans from GAL and the concert ukes are a full 11" on the body.

They specify a 14-5/16" scale for a 12 fret-to-body concert, and 15.5" for 14 fret.

My personal concert uke mold makes about a 10.8" long body and I use a 14.87" scale.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom,
One starts out with a few data points and thinks he has truth. The more I learn I begin to understand how much I really don't know. Appreciate the input. I'm finding this trip down the Lutherie Rabbit Hole fascinating.

Thanks again. I have plans coming from Bob Gleason. Will probably follow them closely as I really like the work he has on his web site.

Plans arrived this afternoon. Very well done. With them and books from McDonald and Weissenrieder I'm good to go. Building some fixtures and tooling. Thank you all for the collective help.

Ron, Don't get caught up in the small decisions. Uke sizes are not exacting. Scale lengths can vary an inch and body dimensions, in length, depth, and width are all over the place. Nothing in the uke world is exacting. If there is anything that really matters, it's that it fits in a case. I always tell people to buy their case and tuners first when designing a uke. Good luck!-Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the reality check. I tend to over think things. I will be shaping the sides with a hot pipe. Getting the 2 sides alike will the primary goal. Following the plan closely will be more a figure of speech.
Ron

Bob's advice is always priceless. An early mentor in my building career, he kept my feet firmly on the ground. Whenever I build what I call a 'traditional style' ukulele I always have in the front of my mind where its roots are - folk instrument culture. Yes, it must be well made but as for rules of building? For me, because of it's 'folk' roots/tradition roots it must not be over engineered (hence my aversion to Kasha bracing) or over designed. IMHO a 'good' build is an honest one where the passion for crfat meets the high standards of tradition.

Caveat
Given that I have 'departed from the way' so to speak to building a very different kind of ukulele to the one you are embarking upon, some might think the aformentioned views hypocritical. I'll take some of that and defend the rest by saying I am digging into traditional south American build forms to meet the modern re-interpreting the role of the ukulele through 21st century technologies - just in case you see a disconnect between what I say and what I do.

Last edited:
Bob's advice is always priceless. An early mentor in my building career, he kept my feet firmly on the ground. Whenever I build what I call a 'traditional style' ukulele I always have in the front of my mind where its roots are - folk instrument culture. Yes, it must be well made but as for rules of building? For me, because of it's 'folk' roots/tradition roots it must not be over engineered (hence my aversion to Kasha bracing) or over designed. IMHO a 'good' build is an honest one where the passion for crfat meets the high standards of tradition.

Caveat
Given that I have 'departed from the way' so to speak to building a very different kind of ukulele to the one you are embarking upon, some might think the aformentioned views hypocritical. I'll take some of that and defend the rest by saying I am digging into traditional south American build forms to meet the modern re-interpreting the role of the ukulele through 21st century technologies - just in case you see a disconnect between what I say and what I do.

I agree Pete. I see plans as a starting off place, good for a beginner who may not have any concept as to how an ukulele is constructed. Once some confidence and experience is attained then some refinements can be explored. The ‘ukulele is a very simple instrument. As someone who can complicate a mayonnaise sandwich I need to constantly remind myself of this. ;)

Surprised and pleased at the discussion that has developed here. Never expected this level of support from a beginners question. This forum is a huge resource on many levels.

We like to encourage anyone who really 'thinks' about this craft rather than 'expects' - at least I do. I hope you have a pleasant journey to building your first instrument.

Top Bottom