Loudest Tenor Ukes

Kibes37

Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind some 2020 opinions on the loudest tenor Uke you’ve ever played. Thanks a bunch!

My Kala SSTU travel tenor has got to be the loudest (un-amplified, no resonators)) uke ever made... everyone who picks it up and tries it is stunned... Sounds twice as loud as anything else I play!
And because the tone is a bit thin, it cuts through like a fog horn. All for under $200, case included. HIGHLY recommended! Tons of output for your dollar...

Blackbird Farallon. The thing is a sound canon.

My aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor.

My Moon Bird and Koaloha are loud. My Jupiter is even louder.

My Kala SSTU travel tenor has got to be the loudest (un-amplified, no resonators)) uke ever made... everyone who picks it up and tries it is stunned... Sounds twice as loud as anything else I play!
And because the tone is a bit thin, it cuts through like a fog horn. All for under $200, case included. HIGHLY recommended! Tons of output for your dollar...

There are four people in my uke group with the Kala Thinline Travel. I've played each of them and it always amazes how loud they are. I almost bought the cutaway spalted model myself until I saw a great deal on a Lanikai Thinline Bocote, a beauty built very much like the Kala, but not as loud.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

a TODA... this thing is a sound cannon.. smaller bodied... full crispy notes

No kidding... something about the rounded back for sure... Plus, this they call this a "solid wood" uke, which in this case means laminated layers of solid wood, a kind of hybrid ply I guess... It's really stiff and really projects!

My Cali Solid California Black Walnut Tenor made by Mike Pereira in California has a deep resonant voice but is also, surprisingly, very loud when strummed. When I take it to uke club meetings it cuts right through the other tenor and concert instruments being played.

So I have to moderate my playing to be softer. Otherwise my mistakes are all too noticeable to the other 50 or 60 players in the room. Yes, I have seen the glances when I mess up a chord change.

Otherwise, most anything with a stiff back and sides and a Spruce top will project and be loud. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is a quality sound.

Nylon strings seem to be, in general, louder than fluorocarbon strings. They have more jangle and a penetrating sound to me.

Top Bottom