Danelectro Honeytone N-10 mini amp

Another Ukulele

Reaction score
After 8 or ten years (more?),
My faithful Honeytone is dying. Cycles LOUD soft LOUD soft - and it is not the battery

I have a weight limitation, so lugging this, my Uke, iPad Songbook and music stand, is about all I can carry.

And the Honeytone clips to my belt - hands free strolling minstrel show.

So, I’m looking to replace it.
Cost ~$22 at many locations, including Guitar Center. I think I bought mine there for Cash. But I’ve never used a phone and credit card with them. They’ll do “to the car“ delivery, or shipping (?) for a price.
But I’ve never done that with them.
Amazon wants $35
Other places do online $22 and free shipping.

I don’t do a lot of online purchases - especially for a silly item like this.

Any voices of experience as to recommended vendors?

Sweetwater is good with fast delivery. You might find one for less (used) on the main guitarcenter site. But Jim is right, you can't go wrong at Sweetwater for $21 new.

Sweetwater, Austin Bazaar, zZounds, and I've good service with Amazon when they're the shipper. For the last couple of months the items have arrived at least a day or two before the listed arrival date.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Sweetwater. They always come through for me.

...I have a weight limitation, so lugging this, my Uke, iPad Songbook and music stand, is about all I can carry. And the Honeytone clips to my belt - hands free strolling minstrel show...

Just wondering how you “stroll” with an iPad and music stand? Seriously, are you moving from one place to another? Or are you parking and then carrying your kit to a playing spot. I ask because I can recommend a Vox 5 amp elect/batt. I needed a small amp, mainly for my voice (mandolin is loud enough to cut right thru a random mix of acoustic instruments, mostly ukes and a few guitars), so I can lead a fairly,large jam w/o having to strain. It does have an instrument jack as well as a mic jack and aux jack, and a variety of “beat” patterns. I can plug-in a uke or guitar if I needed to; I can play a backing track (Strum Machine or YouTube) from my iPad or phone.

I had a bigger portable amp, a Roland Street Cube, which had much better tone and way louder but it was heavy for this old girl and I gifted it to my very happy guitarist son. The Vox https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-1x6.5-inch-portable-amp-with-on-board-rhythm is 7.7 lbs, so it hits a sweet spot for me, being about as heavy as I want to carry, when I am lugging other stuff too, like ipad, stand, mic and an instrument. I also highly recommend an airturn stand https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-1x6.5-inch-portable-amp-with-on-board-rhythm
It is sturdy steel, folds to 18” and only weighs 2lbs. iPad holder screws right onto top thread and with the addition of a little clamp on mic holder, I am all set.

I do think the little clip on Honeytone sounds interesting if you are truly just wandering about performing with your relatively quiet instrument but have a loud enough voice to be heard from afar. I also use primary Sweetwater for online purchases. Highly reliable, good pricing and excellent customer service.

Just wondering how you “stroll” with an iPad and music stand? Seriously, are you moving from one place to another? Or are you parking and then carrying your kit to a playing spot. I ask because I can recommend a Vox 5 amp elect/batt. I needed a small amp, mainly for my voice (mandolin is loud enough to cut right thru a random mix of acoustic instruments, mostly ukes and a few guitars), so I can lead a fairly,large jam w/o having to strain. It does have an instrument jack as well as a mic jack and aux jack, and a variety of “beat” patterns. I can plug-in a uke or guitar if I needed to; I can play a backing track (Strum Machine or YouTube) from my iPad or phone.

I had a bigger portable amp, a Roland Street Cube, which had much better tone and way louder but it was heavy for this old girl and I gifted it to my very happy guitarist son. The Vox https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-1x6.5-inch-portable-amp-with-on-board-rhythm is 7.7 lbs, so it hits a sweet spot for me, being about as heavy as I want to carry, when I am lugging other stuff too, like ipad, stand, mic and an instrument. I also highly recommend an airturn stand https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-1x6.5-inch-portable-amp-with-on-board-rhythm
It is sturdy steel, folds to 18” and only weighs 2lbs. iPad holder screws right onto top thread and with the addition of a little clamp on mic holder, I am all set.

I do think the little clip on Honeytone sounds interesting if you are truly just wandering about performing with your relatively quiet instrument but have a loud enough voice to be heard from afar. I also use primary Sweetwater for online purchases. Highly reliable, good pricing and excellent customer service.

A good friend hosts a Christmas Caroling party. My wife holds the iPad with the music while I play. And the amp carries the sound through the cool night air.

Otherwise, my Uke, stand, iPad and amp weigh ~10 pounds combined. And for venues where I need to sit, my wife usually comes with me and lugs the camp chairs.

My wife has been heaven blessed. Right now my current stand works, but I’ll check out your suggestion.

And to everyone, thanks for the Sweetwater suggestion. As I said, I don’t do a lot of online shopping. But with Covid... .

Concur with bunnyf's suggestion - those amps would be a dramatic improvement over your Honeytone.

The Vox sounds very nice. But at ~8 pounds plus ~2 pounds of ukulele = 10 pounds. That is my weight limit without anything added. The Honeytone is less than 1 pound. I must sacrifice “quality “ for the weight factor.
To be explicit, too much weight can damage my spinal cord at the C3 C4.
Hence, I’ll stick with my 1 pound Honeytone.
<shrug>

The Vox sounds very nice. But at ~8 pounds plus ~2 pounds of ukulele = 10 pounds. That is my weight limit without anything added. The Honeytone is less than 1 pound. I must sacrifice “quality “ for the weight factor.
To be explicit, too much weight can damage my spinal cord at the C3 C4.
Hence, I’ll stick with my 1 pound Honeytone.
<shrug>

I feel ya, I’m always looking to trim up my rig. I’m feel like I’m one of those hiker/campers that concentrates on the functionality, size and weight of each item they carry, to reduce the size and total weight of their setup. People come to my jam with those big shopping carts to carry all their stuff. I like to pare down as much as possible, while still having what I need.
Small but effective amplification is cool. Seems like the Honeytone would be perfect for something like caroling.

Another vote for Sweetwater. They've always been great to deal with. Just know that you will be assigned a "sales engineer" who might call you before and after the order to check in. Once in a while they call to check in to see if you want to buy anything else, but it's not often. My sales guy has been great to deal with as well as others I've dealt with there.

I haven't had any issues buying stuff like this from Musician's Friend either. They have been pretty easy to deal with in the case something was defective and such. I won't put them on the same level as Sweetwater for customer service, but I still deal with them occasionally.

I have a little Honeytone myself. It's not getting any use right now as I don't have anything that plugs in at the moment, but that can always change. So I keep it around. I think it's a neat little amp...and I like that whole vintage vibe. I had more fun playing through that than a larger, nicer amp when I had an electric guitar a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Very generally speaking, it is very difficult to get scammed online by internet vendors nowadays that come up on a Google search.
Musician's Friend.. Guitar Center.. Ebay..Amazon...etc. If they come up readily on a Google search, chances are they are a legitimate business.

Internet purchasing is the norm now.

And even when you get scammed, there are ways to get your money back (eg: Paypal buyer protection).

Thanks to all. I took the plunge noon today,ordered the amp and within minutes a representative called, confirmed, reiterated the unit is back ordered but should arrive within two weeks.
Then Derek asked how I learned about Sweetwater. UU, everyone raved and not a disgruntled customer amongst everyone.

Even took the plunge and ‘registered’ . Hopefully I won’t receive too much sales literature.

Thanks again. They look like they have a large selection of offerings.

Thanks to all. I took the plunge noon today,ordered the amp and within minutes a representative called, confirmed, reiterated the unit is back ordered but should arrive within two weeks.
Then Derek asked how I learned about Sweetwater. UU, everyone raved and not a disgruntled customer amongst everyone.

Even took the plunge and ‘registered’ . Hopefully I won’t receive too much sales literature.

Thanks again. They look like they have a large selection of offerings.
Nice.
They do send out a catalog once in a while. I don't recall getting too many e-mails though. Of course you can opt out of those if you want.
One thing to note: If you ever decide to buy a uke from them, pay attention to the price. They only setup instruments that cost a certain amount. That said, I really think if there was a problem with a cheap uke that didn't go through their 55 point inspection they'd get it taken care of at their expense. It will be clearly marked on the listing whether or not it gets the 55 point inspection/setup. I've never bought a uke from them, so not sure what their typical setup is there. I have received a couple of guitars from them in the past though that were very well taken care of. So I do know they have a good, capable crew there. One of them just wasn't for me and the return process was courteous and very easy. That said a lot to me too.

I don't know about heating my house with the catalogs, maybe roast a marshmellow. I get a couple of good thick old school catalogs every year from them and some fliers, that's it. I actually like looking through the catalogs. It reminds me of the pre internet days. Compared to some, Sweetwater isn't that bad. As much as I like them and as much stuff they have, sometimes they don't have what I want. Around the first of the year I was looking for a mahogany Taylor GS Mini guitar with electronics. They seemed to have every Taylor GS Mini there was except that one. So I found one at a smaller guitar shop in Huntsville, Alabama and bought it there. But when I went looking for a hard case specifically for said Taylor guitar Sweetwater came through. I think that they put out a little extra effort for their customers.

It arrived Friday. It amplifies well, the over drive and tone are working well.
And, as I was forewarned, it arrived with some sweets from Sweetwater. Quick turnaround even with a back order.
Played with it for an hour or so. My wife, in the adjacent room kept requesting MORE!

Thanks to all who suggested Sweetwater. Definitely will keep them in mind for future needs.

Top Bottom