Your Favorite Harp-like, Bell-like, Chime-like Tenor around $500

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm interested in a new tenor that fits this thread's title. I had a great discussion with Mim yesterday about the terms "Harp", "Bell", and "Chime" - like. She pointed out - with a smile in her voice - that a ukulele is not a harp or a bell. So we discussed tenors a little using the word "chimey" mostly to keep me happy.

So, with the usual disclaimers about sound (and even word definitions) being subjective, what are your favorites ukes (or at least wood combinations) that fit this thread's title. I'm only thinking about a tenor although I realize some people might want to comment on a soprano when using the terms "Harp", "Bell", and "Chime".

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

(Just realized I should have put this in the Buying-tips thread, but I guess we're stuck with it here)

Last edited:
Kala Solid Flame Maple rings the bell. I just traded one due to the Kala neck (concert, however)--did not work for me. I loved the voice--very clear, bell like, and "happy." It made me very curious about other's with maple soundboards.

I would say my Pono AT-CR fits that description... at least when you get the right set of strings on it (Go thick, heavy, high tension)... And it can be had for >$500 if you shop around a bit!

For an under $500 with a chimey, bell-like sound, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than a Pono MT all-mahogany , AT all-acacia or MG all-mango tenors. They are well-built (usually). All sell for about $375 USD. The deluxe versions have a high gloss finish instead of the satin finishes on the base level, and they have radius fretboardd. They go for about $560. I can't tell a difference in sound between the two models.

Strings are a critical factor for the sound you are looking for. I have several tenors. Many are strung with Living Waters or Worth Brown fluorocarbon strings. I love the bell-like, chimey sound. A Pono with Living Waters strings (Low-g or High-G) does it really well.

The Acacia AT or the ATD models come closest to a Hawaiian Koa sound. The mahogany has a bit more projection. The Mango is a warmer sound. Plenty of sustain with all of them.

I have said I wouldn't recommend Ponos anymore. Because I received a badly made one that should never have made it through their Quality Control. (The neck was poorly made, but the body was perfect.) So, make sure you see photos of the actual instrument before you complete your purchase.

Best of luck on your search.

Last edited:
You could also look at an aunenue Ut200 moonbird, there are for example some videos from HMS where Tobias Elof is talking about the "harpiness" he likes on his instrument... Sometimes het even tunes them higher and uses a high action with high tension strings to make it even "harpier" or - christal clear - as he likes to call it...

I highly recommend the Flight Phantom for those exact qualities. It's extremely harp like and chimey.

Last edited:
To my ear, the new KoAloha Tenors sound sweet and bell-like; more so than the old ones that is, and solid Koa naturally has a little "chime" on top.

Try a Martin T1K strung with fluorocarbon strings. It's in your price range and has that distinctive Koa chime.

A uke or a harp or a bell are just things. They need a person to operate them. For a uke to make some ringing sound it needs a player who knows how to do this. So the question here should be "how can I make my uke ring like a harp?"

If you have mastered the techniques to make any uke sound great then it is mainly a matter of setting. If you play the same uke with the same technique it will sound very different from the players perspective than for the audience that is at a distance. It will be different for outdoor busking than for performing in a church or jamming with friends in basement. If you are are recording then the uke will sound different in a professional studio than if recorded with selfie cam on the beach.

I like to compare ukes in stores, and my other settings are practice and learning at home as well as performing and jamming with people who play different instruments. I am am not good enough for recording. So as an example if I play Kamaka ukes in stores from the player perspective, they don't seem to ring as nicely as Kanile'a or KoAloha, but when I take my Kamaka out to a jam or perform with it I inevitably get compliments on the great bell like sound even though I don't hear that at all. You can ask a friend to play your uke at a distance and then compare this to how it sounds when you are the player.

So to get an answer here to be useful it helps if you say how / what you play and the setting / perspective where the effect is to be accomplished.

So as an example if I play Kamaka ukes in stores from the player perspective, they don't seem to ring as nicely as Kanile'a or KoAloha, but when I take my Kamaka out to a jam or perform with it I inevitably get compliments on the great bell like sound even though I don't hear that at all. You can ask a friend to play your uke at a distance and then compare this to how it sounds when you are the player.

We have a winner here.

I have two ukuleles that I can hear the chime-like quality on, but only sometimes, and not even always on the same songs. They are my Donaldson Concert - Port Orford Cedar Top, Birds-eye maple body, and currently wearing Worth Clears. (Brad had originally strung it with his choice of fishing line). The other is my Tenor Ko'Aloha Sceptre, also wearing Worth Clear strings. I hear the chime-like tones when someone else is playing them, however.

Interestingly, none of my other ukes with Worth Clears give me the chime-like sound.

It all come down to YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary.

-Kurt​

What rings my bell might not ring yours, pun intended.

Tone is a very personal thing and does vary from instrument to instrument in the same model. A change of strings and it is a completely different instrument again. If you can’t play them first you are on the right path in talking to Mim who is extremely knowledgeable and has direct access to many different ukes. Good luck

. I hear the chime-like tones when someone else is playing them, however.

This is a great point indeed. I remember that when I first got the KoAloha soprano I used to own I didn't like it at first. Then I had a friend of mine play it while I stood out in front. It sounded so amazing from out in front, so much fuller and clearer, and I LOVED it after that. I shouldn't have sold that one.

I agree with just about everything folks have posted here. That's why I made the title "Your Favorite ..." and not what makes a bell-like sound or how can any uke be played to sound more harp-like.

If only the wood mattered, some other folks I've spoken to say a spruce top is a good place to start. So, as usually happens, I've upped my amount to spend :eek: and am now thinking of an Opio spruce/acacia or a Rebel double cheese. I'll probably go with the Koaloha since I don't have one of theirs and am interested in the sound from that bracing.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. All help is appreciated.

No question, the most ringing ukulele I have is KOA body and spruce top.
I believe a spruce top rings the best. A rosewood body and cedar top can also ring.

Kala Solid Flame Maple rings the bell. I just traded one due to the Kala neck (concert, however)--did not work for me. I loved the voice--very clear, bell like, and "happy." It made me very curious about other's with maple soundboards.

I just ran across this thread from a few months ago, and I have to agree, my Kala flame maple tenor fits this description. Especially when I changed the strings to Uke Logic instead of the Aquilas. The Aquilas had a plasticy sound. the Uke Logics are very full and chimey.

Seems something with spruce top and hardwood back and sides would fit this description... as the others have said, perception of sounds can be very personal though.

Since you are specific about size, I probably shouldn't respond but hey I am not going to let a thing like size discrimination stop me. I have a blue frog Spruce top Maple soprano. I love that Uke because it has a beautiful Beltone harp-like chime to it. That was exactly how I described it. So then I got a custom made Spruce top maple concert from a different luthier. Ugh! It was beautiful. It was built like a jewel box, but the tone didn't even resemble my blue frog soprano. Like other people have said, each instrument is unique. It's really just some wood slap together and doesn't even know it's a ukulele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom