Your Favorite Harp-like, Bell-like, Chime-like Tenor around $500

I agree with just about everything folks have posted here. That's why I made the title "Your Favorite ..." and not what makes a bell-like sound or how can any uke be played to sound more harp-like.

If only the wood mattered, some other folks I've spoken to say a spruce top is a good place to start. So, as usually happens, I've upped my amount to spend :eek: and am now thinking of an Opio spruce/acacia or a Rebel double cheese. I'll probably go with the Koaloha since I don't have one of theirs and am interested in the sound from that bracing.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. All help is appreciated.

Peng from KoAloha created Rebel ukes. They stand by their work and truly believe that your heart connection to the instrument matters. I have had wonderful email exchange with Peng. I think he is still at KoAloha. Rebel is his creative spin with KoAloha integrity.

Just to warn you. I received a Spruce top acacia opio as a replacement for my damaged sapele Opio. It was built nearly identical. I hated the acacia. I so wanted to keep it and love it. It was beautiful, if not stunning. It didn't have the warmth of sapele and I couldn't forgive it for being different. It certainly didn't have that Beltone harp-like chime to my ear.So subjective. I would go with the rebel cheese before the acacia. But if you can talk to Peng I think he might be able to help you decide.

What about this Pono? I think it sounds amazing
https://theukulelesite.com/b-stock-...r-top-mahogany-tenor-pro-classic-mt-c-pc.html

Last edited:
Well the Rebel Double Cheese is lovely sounding, well-made, and a great uke to have. But I wouldn't call it bell or harp-like, to be honest. And it's almost double that $500 price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom