Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low G wound singles for concert ukulele

Default Low G wound singles for concert ukulele

There's a lot of discussion, new and old, about low G strings but I'm trying to find info on low G strings for concert scale, specifically and preferably wound single strings. It seems to me that most sets and singles are for tenor scale, and the only ones for concert I've found are Aquilas, which I don't like, and Fremont soloist, of which I've ordered a few but I'm looking for different options. I've seen classical guitar D strings recommended as a low G for ukes but mostly for tenor. Any idea if something like that would be suitable for a concert or would it have too much tension? I'm currently playing a Kanile'a K1 concert.

It would work but getting the right string is better. Why not try Uke Logic Low G?

Benjamin
    Benjamin Bui
    theukulelerock@gmail.com
    Mahalo!

Classical D strings will probably be a bit low in tension for concert scale unless you get a "high tension" one
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I'm experimenting with a bunch of strings (including the Aquilas and Fremonts), so I'll just throw some suggestions out, though I don't know about availability as singles, and most are not wound.

Soprano/Concert scale:
    Pepe Romero, wound low G
    PhD, unwound low G
    Worth Brown, unwound low G

Soprano/Concert/Tenor (universal) Scale
    Oasis GPX Carbon, unwound low G
    Uke Logic high or low tension, both wound or unwound log G
    UkeSA, unwound low G
    Thomastik-Infeld, wound low G

The last is available as a single. You might also be able to get the Pepe Romero as a single. The rest I've only found in sets, though they might be available as singles. Besides the soloist, Fremont also has their clear and black line low G, both unwound. I'm finding that I tend to prefer the feel and sound of unwound. The advantage of a wound string primarily being size/fit with a high g nut slot.

Edit: by "sound" I just mean the lack of squeak, not the tone--I'm still determining that.
    Last edited by snowdenn; 07-25-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUkuleleStyle View Post
    It would work but getting the right string is better. Why not try Uke Logic Low G?

Benjamin
    I actually forgot I had these on order as well. Ordering these is a pain though since delivery is extremely slow to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Classical D strings will probably be a bit low in tension for concert scale unless you get a "high tension" one
    If a classical guitar D string is (more or less) the correct tension for a tenor low G, wouldn't that mean that it's higher tension for a concert? Because that's my issue, finding a low G that's low enough tension for concert.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    I'm experimenting with a bunch of strings (including the Aquilas and Fremonts), so I'll just throw some suggestions out, though I don't know about availability as singles, and most are not wound.

Soprano/Concert scale:
    Pepe Romero, wound low G
    PhD, unwound low G
    Worth Brown, unwound low G

Soprano/Concert/Tenor (universal) Scale
    Oasis GPX Carbon, unwound low G
    Uke Logic high or low tension, both wound or unwound log G
    UkeSA, unwound low G
    Thomastik-Infeld, wound low G

The last is available as a single. You might also be able to get the Pepe Romero as a single. The rest I've only found in sets, though they might be available as singles. Besides the soloist, Fremont also has their clear and black line low G, both unwound. I'm finding that I tend to prefer the feel and sound of unwound. The advantage of a wound string primarily being size/fit with a high g nut slot.

Edit: by "sound" I just mean the lack of squeak, not the tone--I'm still determining that.
    That's the reason I'm looking for a wound low G, no need to adjust the nut slot, and I also prefer the sound and tension of a wound low G to unwound. I actually forgot about Thomastik-Infeld, I've heard good things about that one. But that would be a classical guitar string as well right? So which Thomastik string would translate to concert low G?

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    That's the reason I'm looking for a wound low G, no need to adjust the nut slot, and I also prefer the sound and tension of a wound low G to unwound. I actually forgot about Thomastik-Infeld, I've heard good things about that one. But that would be a classical guitar string as well right? So which Thomastik string would translate to concert low G?
    I believe it's the CF30 D string. It is for a classical guitar, but HMS says it will work for soprano/concert/tenor. I haven't tried it yet. If you're wanting to stick with wound, there's also Uke Logic and Pepe Romero. They might only come as sets, but the price is about the same as two Thomastik-Infeld singles. Pepe Romero strings are made by La Bella. I don't know if that means they're the same, but if La Bella are easier to find, you might try that.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    I believe it's the CF30 D string. It is for a classical guitar, but HMS says it will work for soprano/concert/tenor. I haven't tried it yet. If you're wanting to stick with wound, there's also Uke Logic and Pepe Romero. They might only come as sets, but the price is about the same as two Thomastik-Infeld singles. Pepe Romero strings are made by La Bella. I don't know if that means they're the same, but if La Bella are easier to find, you might try that.
    Thanks for the info! I'll probably include that string on my next string order and have a try.

As I mentioned earlier, I have Uke Logic low G singles on order but the delivery takes forever. As for the Pepe Romero strings, I've been intrigued by them but they are not the most common / easiest to find where I live. And perplexingly, La Bella makes fluorocarbon strings only under the Pepe Romero name, otherwise their strings are nylon. Haven't seen them offer singles so it would have to be the whole set. I might try those if I can find a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'll probably include that string on my next string order and have a try.

As I mentioned earlier, I have Uke Logic low G singles on order but the delivery takes forever. As for the Pepe Romero strings, I've been intrigued by them but they are not the most common / easiest to find where I live. And perplexingly, La Bella makes fluorocarbon strings only under the Pepe Romero name, otherwise their strings are nylon. Haven't seen them offer singles so it would have to be the whole set. I might try those if I can find a reliable source.
    No, only the wound low G of Romero strings are from LaBella, the fluorocarbon are like the same as everybody else's. However they are quite popular. I visited a uke store in Hilo last year where the owner puts low G Romero strings on all ukes so they can be compared objectively before purchase. And yeah those ukes sounded great.

I've converted a couple concerts and a soprano(!) to low G. For one concert, I used a Fremont Black Line. The other was a wound low G--I think Pepe Romero, but I'm not sure. And the soprano I think was a Worth Clear low G.

I filed the soprano nut slot just a little so the low G would sit better, but not too much in case I changed my mind and went back to high g. I'm certain I want a low G soprano (weird as that is), but I want to be sure about which soprano, and whether to use wound or unwound, before fully widening/deepening the nut slot. As of now, the intonation is a bit off because the slot isn't big enough for the string, but nonetheless I like the low G.

Same with the concert and the Fremont Black Line. But to my eyes (and fingers), the Fremont Black Line has a narrower diameter than the Worth Clear. Enough so that I didn't file the slot and the intonation isn't as off. Odd because they're supposed to be the same diameter. Actually, the Worths are supposed to be .002" smaller.

I'm planning to test several more strings, but as of now I prefer the unwounds because they don't squeak. But I still have some wounds to try.

Apparently, unwound low G strings are the same diameter, .036", for most makers. And so far the wounds I've seen are usually around .030". Despite also being listed as .036", my Fremont Black Line is clearly narrower, and halfway to a wound size. I'm not sure if my string is an anomaly, but if it isn't, I might end up using Black Lines to avoid having to change the nut slot much (if at all).

I don't know if that helps, but you might want to try a Fremont Black Line low G and see if it works without widening/deepening the nut slot. They're cheap and available as singles. Just another possibility.

Thread Information