Aklot Bamboo Concert Ukulele

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I really like the instruments Aklot makes (I know they have a bad history here with their prior Amazon review process)...they seem to be the "high end" of Kmise. This was NOT sent to me for review, I bought it.

I don't know why anyone would spend $129 or more for the Kala.

Not bad. If I played the ones I have well., I'd pick one up for when I ever get to travel again. Looks like one I could shove into a suitcase and not worry if it gets messed up

The solid bamboo intrigues me, especially at the price. I was kind of interested in this one except I don't like slotted headstocks. I think if they did the comfort edge(and maybe darker side fret markers), I might be willing to overlook that headstock. Like you said, a touch wider nut would be nice too. I'm glad you pointed out the "sharp" edges as I know that would annoy me enough to return it.

The solid bamboo intrigues me, especially at the price. I was kind of interested in this one except I don't like slotted headstocks. I think if they did the comfort edge(and maybe darker side fret markers), I might be willing to overlook that headstock. Like you said, a touch wider nut would be nice too. I'm glad you pointed out the "sharp" edges as I know that would annoy me enough to return it.

It's easy enough to take those fret edges off with a nail file. I've done it with a couple of cheap ukes. Good luck.

It's easy enough to take those fret edges off with a nail file. I've done it with a couple of cheap ukes. Good luck.

The review talks about the edge of the body, not the edge of the frets.

I bought the tenor cutaway version at the beginning of the year. I think it's a very good uke. I made some modifications because I didn't feel it had the best look. I added black stick-on side and top fret markers, black strings, black nut and bridge, black string end beads and black strap buttons with gold screws to match the tuning machines.

I bought it to be my beater uke because bamboo is a very durable material. They call it solid, which technically it is because it's not laminated top to bottom, it's built like a butcher block with strips glued side by side, so it's sideways laminated.

Aklot mine 800.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
The review talks about the edge of the body, not the edge of the frets.

Took the body edge off one cheapie with a fine piece of sandpaper. Obviously not perfect but it did help so it wasn't sticking me the way it was. I'd still play it but the tuners don't hold. Not worth repairing

I don't really go for the cheaper ukes anymore unless they are somehow quirky and this one certainly is. I really like the idea of a sustainable instrument made from a non-standard wood (actually bamboo isn't even a wood which technically makes this even more quirky :D ). Considering how this is otherwise a pretty standard looking uke, I'm surprisingly intrigued by it.

Thanks for the review, Chris. I really like your stuff, and I especially would like it if you could review more of these more interesting ukes, rather than the endless laminate mahogany ukes (although I will still watch those reviews as well and I do understand why you review them :) ).

Took the body edge off one cheapie with a fine piece of sandpaper. Obviously not perfect but it did help so it wasn't sticking me the way it was. I'd still play it but the tuners don't hold. Not worth repairing

Interesting. Don't think I'd do that to a brand new uke though. (to the previous comment, I have a fret-end file so could address that if it was an issue)

Good review. I’ve been tempted by these a few times. I may just pull the plug this time. I too like the renewable nature of bamboo. I like the durability aspect. I’m curious how an inexpensive Uke like this would be. All my tenor are higher priced but like idea of this.

Your internal cam is great. Was the bridge plate a piece of plywood or was it more bamboo. Neck block looked like solid wood. Also, is bridge screwed down?

I like the “black out” done by Kohanmike and suggested by you in review. I’d still buy stock for now as they are priced so well and sound good.

Thanks for review.

Anyone have the Aklot bamboo tenor? I believe the nut is std 35 mm, but what is the string spread at the nut, outside G to outside A?

I changed the nut on my tenor, which is 34mm and 29mm string spacing. When I find that the string spacing is too wide or narrow for me, I have a new nut made, even a mm or two makes a difference.

Anyone have the Aklot bamboo tenor? I believe the nut is std 35 mm, but what is the string spread at the nut, outside G to outside A?

I try to do my best with measurements with a digital caliper, but there's some leeway and likely user error. But it's more than close enough. The first generation tenor and concert are very close:

Tenor: 34.80mm nut - 8.47mm between strings at 1st fret - 28.85mm between strings at 1st fret G to A.

Concert: 34.84mm nut - 8.50mm between strings at the 1st fret- 28.23mm between strings at the 1st fret G to A.

Was the bridge plate a piece of plywood or was it more bamboo. Neck block looked like solid wood. Also, is bridge screwed down?

I don't know what wood the bridge plate is made of. It doesn't have the bamboo grain, so I'm assuming it is either plywood, or perhaps the same wood as the neck block? So I guess there is a conclusion here: it isn't solid bamboo, technically.

There are definitely screws coming through the bridge plate.

The Bamboo Concert is on sale right now on Amazon. The Concert is $60. That's cheaper than I paid with a $5 discount from eBay. i have no idea how long this sale will run (they posted about it on their Facebook page...I wasn't notified of a sale directly).

I have a "solid" bamboo tenor that I bought as an oddity. It's very nice looking & plays okay. I do have a concern about the use of "solid" relative to bamboo. Bamboo is a grass, right? So the pieces aren't big enough to make a one-piece or even a 2 piece topwood, right? Or am I missing something?.

I have a "solid" bamboo tenor that I bought as an oddity. It's very nice looking & plays okay. I do have a concern about the use of "solid" relative to bamboo. Bamboo is a grass, right? So the pieces aren't big enough to make a one-piece or even a 2 piece topwood, right? Or am I missing something?.

I think this has been discussed before. I think you're right in saying that no part of the body of the uke is made out of one or two bigger pieces and instead it's made of multiple little pieces, but since all of the pieces are (at least supposedly) solid pieces and not layered like laminate wood is, it's not deceitful to call it solid bamboo. That's my take on and understanding of it anyway.

I think this has been discussed before. I think you're right in saying that no part of the body of the uke is made out of one or two bigger pieces and instead it's made of multiple little pieces, but since all of the pieces are (at least supposedly) solid pieces and not layered like laminate wood is, it's not deceitful to call it solid bamboo. That's my take on and understanding of it anyway.
IMO advertising an instrument as "all solid bamboo" -- as is now being done in several listings at Ebay -- is misleading advertising for many potential buyers. In the past, "solid" has always referred to wood, whereas bamboo is grass. In the past, "solid" has always been used to mean NOT glued-together, whereas bamboo ukuleles are TOTALLY glued-together strands.

If glued-together strands of bamboo can be called "solid bamboo," then why couldn't glued-together strands of rosewood be called "solid rosewood?" Good grief!

IMO, advertising bamboo as "solid" can mislead a great number of potential buyers. I am sad to see this misleading practice is being rationalized here at UU. UU should be a resource whereby novices can come to get straight information so as NOT to be misled by seller's double-speak.

If you relate it to flooring, a solid wood floor is quite different than a laminate wood floor, despite both being made of planks.

Maybe they could call it solid plank bamboo. Calling it laminate would be misleading.

If you relate it to flooring, a solid wood floor is quite different than a laminate wood floor, despite both being made of planks. Maybe they could call it solid plank bamboo. Calling it laminate would be misleading.

I like this idea, makes sense to me.

Top Bottom