Newbie with a couple of questions...

JustGeorge

Reaction score
Hello. Probably some of this post should be in "New Member Introductions", but seems relevant to my (eventual) questions.

Ukulele newbie, about 10 weeks in. Started to learn the guitar back in the mid-1960s, but life interrupted; basically just learned to strum along to folk music. Photography became my primary hobby since then. I decided I'd like to try the ukulele; like many folks, I associated the ukulele with Tiny Tim and "Tip-Toe Thru The Tulips"; then, about 10 years ago, I crossed paths with a guy who was an aficionado (kind of an evangelist, maybe?), and he enlightened me as to varieties in style and tuning. But it had to remain in the background as a possible hobby. Now here I am. Finally signed up here after lurking since early June.

Settled on a Lahanu Tenor. No complaints about the build quality, or the sound. In fact, for a sub-$100 product, it's quite well-made, surprised I don't see more love for it. My only complaint has to do with the rounded back: not compatible with my rounded front ;), so difficult to hold, even with a strap, but I'm persevering. Thinking of adding a non-slip material to the back. (The rounded back was touted as enhancing the sound, one of the factors for choosing it.)

But I still didn't like the overall sound, so, after further research, decided to go with the low-G tuning. Much better. But after about 6 weeks of playing/practicing almost every day, my fingers were still very sensative; some days I could only get in 15 or 20 minutes of playing, occasionally up to an hour. So I recently re-strung using the Aquila Super Nylgut AQ-107 low-G set. That hasn't helped my finger pain at all, and they are much more squeaky than the Aquila AQ-16 low-G I was using previously. So I'll probably be re-stringing with that set.

I'm also not happy with the sound of the A-string. Whether strumming or finger-picking, it just doesn't sound quite right, relative to the other strings, with which I'm quite happy. I think I'd describe what I'm looking for is a sound that is more mellow, especially that A-string. (Yep, I ain't young, so maybe it's my ears, who knows.)

So before I re-string, I'd like some suggestions on other string sets to try. Looking for a mellow sound, and possibly something that may be easier on my delicate fingers. I've read a lot online, searched using those parameters, but a lot of the results point to products that don't seem to be available any more, or have a lot of negative feedback. I didn't find a lot using a generic Google search for this site, but I probably didn't use the right terms/key words.

I'm also considering a 2nd ukulele. With a flat back, obviously :D. Something similar to the Kala KA-T, which was on my original short-list. Don't know if the mellow sound I'm looking for is a quality of the instrument itself or the strings, or both.

If you've read this far, thanks. I look forward to suggestions as I'm deciding whether or not I'm going to continue on this adventure. (If I decide to give up, any new ukulele should at least look good as a room decoration!)

--JustGeorge

Welcome to UU, JustGeorge!
You might want to try Worth Browns on your uke. They are fluorocarbon strings, so being denser that the Aquila, they will be thinner than the nylguts. Therefore they will feel easier to play. (What my fingers tell me.)
There are other people here who have experimented for years to find which strings work best with each of their instruments.

You might want to try Worth Browns on your uke. They are fluorocarbon strings, so being denser that the Aquila, they will be thinner than the nylguts. Therefore they will feel easier to play. (What my fingers tell me.)

Thank you! Just did a quick search, and the reviews sound like what I've been looking for. Don't know why they didn't pop up when I've searched.

There are other people here who have experimented for years to find which strings work best with each of their instruments.

And that's why I finally registered. Thanks again!

Welcome to the UU, George. I recommend you try Living Waters strings. They are a good quality fluorocarbon, have a lovely warm sound, sets are available with either a Low G or a High G, and can be purchased online from Uke Republic. I found them to be much kinder to my fingers than Aquila strings.

Thank you, Jan D., further research indicates the Living Waters strings sound promising, maybe equal to or better than the Worth brown previously suggested. Unfortunately, they are sold out at Uke Republic, no mention of when they'll be restocked; that leaves ordering direct from the UK, which apparently takes some time. So I might put some on order to have on hand down the road. I'd like to try an unwound set that included the low-G. (Just noticed that a wound string could cause a finger wound, as in injury. English is a funny language.)

As part of my quest for mellow tones, I keep coming across the term "sustain". Quite a bit of discussion that it is one of those qualities that may be subjective (although there are definitions online, such as "a musical effect that prolongs a note's resonance" at Merriam Webster). But it has me thinking that this might be my issue with the A string: the other three strings seem to resonate (a little) longer, the A string sound ends much quicker. So I'm wondering if that's normal, or the result of the ukulele design, or I'm just a fuss-budget?

Anyway, probably order the Worth for now, and the LW in the hopes they arrive soon, and await any further enlightenment.

Thank you, Jan D., further research indicates the Living Waters strings sound promising, maybe equal to or better than the Worth brown previously suggested. Unfortunately, they are sold out at Uke Republic, no mention of when they'll be restocked; that leaves ordering direct from the UK, which apparently takes some time. So I might put some on order to have on hand down the road. I'd like to try an unwound set that included the low-G. (Just noticed that a wound string could cause a finger wound, as in injury. English is a funny language.)

As part of my quest for mellow tones, I keep coming across the term "sustain". Quite a bit of discussion that it is one of those qualities that may be subjective (although there are definitions online, such as "a musical effect that prolongs a note's resonance" at Merriam Webster). But it has me thinking that this might be my issue with the A string: the other three strings seem to resonate (a little) longer, the A string sound ends much quicker. So I'm wondering if that's normal, or the result of the ukulele design, or I'm just a fuss-budget?

Anyway, probably order the Worth for now, and the LW in the hopes they arrive soon, and await any further enlightenment.

The sound that is produced depends mainly on your right hand technique and less on strings. If you use a pick or fingernails you will get a sharper sound. If you play with fleshy part of fingertips you get desired mellow sound. Sustain is only needed if you play melodies or lines that have long note intervals where you need to be sure that the note can ring for the desired length of time. For strumming a lot of sustain can be a problem where you need to learn dampening techniques to control it. Long sustain is mainly found on high end ukes with thin soundboards that are preferred by advanced players who have mastered various techniques to take advantage of this.

I don't really understand what you mean with rounded back so maybe post a picture.

Last edited:
OP, if your uke is new, then you might be interested in this https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145091-c-string-has-much-longer-sustain-than-others. I had a similar problem with my C-string having much more sustain; it is equally unplayable and not something normal for an instrument. All 4 strings should behave similarly. But my problem went away after about 2 weeks when the uke settled; my uke was brand new from Guitar Center meaning it is not setup and probably never brought to tension, so it was as raw as it can be so (in hindsight) it needed to settle.

Another possibility, OP, is that you may possibly be not fretting and strumming the A-string at its sweet spot. The A-string being low, your strumming fingers has to make it past the string (as much as like the other string) to give it the same amount of energy. Also, the A-string being thin, more attention is needed so it doesn't bend and wiggle while fretting when can cut its sustain as well.

I don’t change strings, unless needed - change from junk to Aquila, change when they break, or change my Tenor to Worth Brown because I heard someone playing a Tenor and I like the warmth of the tones.

So my relative contracted experience is to recommend Worth Brown - which are more expensive but are twice as long as is needed. So you essentially get two sets of strings.

And my experience, some days I play great and my fingers hit the mark and I am ready for First Chair,
Then other days.......
Why did I ever take up this rotten instrument.

Welcome and enjoy. It’s not the destination but the experiences you gather along the way.

There's something to be said for leaving strings on for a while, unless you know that you don't like those strings.

I'm not a fan of Aquila Super Nylgut or any imitation to those strings. I like Aquila a lot, and I'm glad they are offered. I've bought a few ukuleles that were made before Aquilas became standard, and aside from those strings being really old, they also were really awful.

Ultimately, if all we had was Aquila Super Nylgut, we'd live with them and be happy. But we have choices.

My tendency is to go with clear fluorocarbon on most instruments. I don't like wound strings (squeak!) and only have Worth Browns on a couple of instruments. I don't really have a great preference for the type of fluorocarbon--I'll use it all (Martin M600/M620, Living Waters, D'Addario, Oasis, Worth Clears, etc.). I also liked the Aquila sugars.

What I find is that the fluorocarbons seem to be thinner than the Nylguts. At least that's what my fingers tell me. And I know the fluorocarbon is HARDER. But that said, the thinner strings are easier to press down and manipulate--at least for me, and I think others feel the same.

Really, the greatest difference between strings would be from going from the Nylguts your Lohanu came with, and to move to fluorocarbons. I think, you said "tenor," so I'd buy a set of Martin M620s and try them (unless you insist on low G, and in that case, there are more decisions to make) and see what you think. You might hate them. You might like them. But as long as you're not afraid to try strings, you have nothing to lose.

If you think about getting a second uke you could also consider getting a smaller one such as a concert size. They are tuned the same but because they have a shorter scale they have lower tension if the same strings are used. Of course lower tension may feel softer and be easier to play but may also cause floppiness.

The sound that is produced depends mainly on your right hand technique and less on strings. If you use a pick or fingernails you will get a sharper sound. If you play with fleshy part of fingertips you get desired mellow sound. Sustain is only needed if you play melodies or lines that have long note intervals where you need to be sure that the note can ring for the desired length of time. For strumming a lot of sustain can be a problem where you need to learn dampening techniques to control it. Long sustain is mainly found on high end ukes with thin soundboards that are preferred by advanced players who have mastered various techniques to take advantage of this.

Maybe sustain isn't the right term. Just strumming, not fretting, results in the A string being "different", for some value of different (sharper, duller, less resonance?), but probably just to my ears. I strum and pick mostly with the fleshy part of the finger, prefer that over the sound produced by a nail (or a pick).

The sound/tone/whatever of the G string lasts a bit longer than the C & E, but at the moment I kind of like it, being low-G it produces what I call a mellower sound. But that's just my term, maybe.

Bear in mind this is all coming from someone who is not really in tune with the correct terminology. (See what I did there? :D )

I don't really understand what you mean with rounded back so maybe post a picture.

The official description at the Lohanu website is "Arched Back", it is not flat but has a distinct curve, which is supposed to increase sustain (as I recall the advertising).

Not easy to make a pic, didn't find any good ones on the 'net, closest can be found at https://examori.com/products/tenor-size-bundle-from-lohanu-lu-t-2-strap-pins-installed -- clicking on the 3rd & 4th thumbnails should give you an idea.

I don't know if it really makes a difference as I don't have anything to compare it to. Basically I'm pleased with the sound, but there's just something one-tick-off with the A string. (Both sets of Aquila Nylgut, AQ-16 & AQ-107.) But maybe that's just me, and I'm being too nit-picky. After I try the Worth strings, maybe some others, I'll get a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Thank you merlin666 for the reply. It's helping me to clarify my thinking on what I'm looking for.

OP, if your uke is new, then you might be interested in this https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?145091-c-string-has-much-longer-sustain-than-others. I had a similar problem with my C-string having much more sustain; it is equally unplayable and not something normal for an instrument. All 4 strings should behave similarly. But my problem went away after about 2 weeks when the uke settled; my uke was brand new from Guitar Center meaning it is not setup and probably never brought to tension, so it was as raw as it can be so (in hindsight) it needed to settle.

Thanks, I gave a quick look at that thread, I'll give it a longer look later. If sustain is the right term, then I'm hearing less on the A than on the other three, even when strumming all four without fretting.

Another possibility, OP, is that you may possibly be not fretting and strumming the A-string at its sweet spot. The A-string being low, your strumming fingers has to make it past the string (as much as like the other string) to give it the same amount of energy. Also, the A-string being thin, more attention is needed so it doesn't bend and wiggle while fretting when can cut its sustain as well.

No question I need lots more practice with finding the frets when changing chords, and I do recognize that. But when I do get them right, occasionally, there's just something missing.

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t change strings, unless needed - change from junk to Aquila, change when they break, or change my Tenor to Worth Brown because I heard someone playing a Tenor and I like the warmth of the tones.

So my relative contracted experience is to recommend Worth Brown - which are more expensive but are twice as long as is needed. So you essentially get two sets of strings.

And my experience, some days I play great and my fingers hit the mark and I am ready for First Chair,
Then other days.......
Why did I ever take up this rotten instrument.

Welcome and enjoy. It’s not the destination but the experiences you gather along the way.

"Warmth" of the tones. I'll have to think about that term, maybe it's what I'm trying to express.

My primary reason for looking for different strings is because after about 50 days, even though I've developed callouses, my fingers still cry like little babies, some days after only playing for a short time. So I'll be ordering the Worth in a day or two, probably a set of Living Waters, which may take up to two months to get here (one buyer reported his arrived in North America from England via Australia!).

Thanks for the Worth recommendation.

A further thought is that the nut and saddle may not be set up well. If the nut is too tight it can choke a string and affect sound. If saddle is too high it results in uncomfortable action. Both issues can easily be fixed.

I've always thought that the most comfortable strings I've ever played were Aquila Reds. They tend to be thin like fluorocarbons, but not as high tension, plus the surface isn't as slick, which makes them feel a little "plush" to me. They also are a bit more fragile - and will break if you have a sharp spot on your nut, bridge or tuning peg. The sound is a little different - I liked them a lot when I had them on my flea, but I'm putting most everything on Aquila Warms right now.

Hi Just George,

Some ukes can be finicky instruments. While others are not. I have had similar problems as yours with a couple of my tenors. I was getting a dull "thudding" sound on the A-string. I found after much investigation, that I was pushing the A-string as I was fretting it on those ukes. I think it had something to do with the strings being close to the edge of the fretboard and the shape of the neck. Once I realized that, I adjusted my hand to make sure my fingers were curved and I was pressing down vertically in sweet spot of the fret. That took care of the problem. (I still occasionally get sloppy and it returns.)

In general, Nylon strings are thicker and produce a louder, crisper sound. More traditional Hawaiian Soprano type sound.
Fluorocarbon strings are thinner and produce a more mellow, rounded sound. More towards a classical guitar-ish sound.
That's a gross generality, and there are all kinds of nuances and variances to it depending on the string brand and type.

It's surprising how much the sound of an instrument can change by using different strings.
I use LivingWaters, Worth Brown Medium and Fremont Black Lines a lot. Check out: Strings by Mail. They have a wide variety of strings by several different manufacturers like D'Addario, PhD, GHS, Martin, Aquila, and many others. Both Nylon and Fluoros.

By the way, fluorocarbon strings are all descended from fishing line. The new brand on the block is Uke Logic that offers Fluoros in standard tension and low. They have attracted an enthusiastic following.

Hi Just George,

Some ukes can be finicky instruments. While others are not. I have had similar problems as yours with a couple of my tenors. I was getting a dull "thudding" sound on the A-string. I found after much investigation, that I was pushing the A-string as I was fretting it on those ukes. I think it had something to do with the strings being close to the edge of the fretboard and the shape of the neck. Once I realized that, I adjusted my hand to make sure my fingers were curved and I was pressing down vertically in sweet spot of the fret. That took care of the problem. (I still occasionally get sloppy and it returns.)

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. But the sound "issue" (for want of a better term), even occurs when not fretting, just strumming through the bare strings. I keep trying to decide what it is that bothers me. Generally, the A string sorta-kinda sounds like it doesn't belong to that set of strings (whichever set I've had at the time.)

Anyway, I'll be ordering both the Worth Browns and the Living Waters, and see what happens. Then, if that doesn't fix my sound problem, as a totally wacko idea, I may try other A strings with the other strings. I'm a tinkerer at heart I guess. (Looks like I'll also be ordering one of those string winding tools if I'm going to do that!)

I'll go take a look at the Uke Logic strings, maybe add them to my order. Scanning old film negatives and slides becomes boring after an hour or two, so I just as well experiment.

I do have a moderate case of G.A.S., in my case that means "Gadget Acquisition Syndrome". Evidenced by my collection of hand and power tools, and somewhat by my photography tools. Why not for the ukulele? (Fortunately, not as many gadget options compared to the others.)

Once I get my new strings I'll have a better idea where my head is at. The main focus is to get my fretting fingers toughened up.

Thanks for the info.

A further thought is that the nut and saddle may not be set up well. If the nut is too tight it can choke a string and affect sound. If saddle is too high it results in uncomfortable action. Both issues can easily be fixed.

Sooo... First, I would have to do it myself, no luthiers nearby. So if you know of any really good set of instructions, please pass them along. I do have some needle files and even a jeweler's saw (somewhere, I think). However...

But for now, I think I'll wait until I've received some new strings (ordering the Worth Browns and Living Waters).

Thank you for the info.

Top Bottom