Season 441: "What's My Line?"

Our dear pal Randy did this one not that long ago. So here’s to all the joy he brought us!

an original song for the season
cross continental collab from me (Australia), Kev and Willie (USA) and Joo (Singapore)

And Good Morning (or Good-whatever-time-of-day-it-is-where-you-are)! It is indecently early here - a mere 6.15 a.m. - but it was too hot to sleep; temperatures are supposed to be rising to 40 degrees today! However, it was lovely to find a haul of fantastic trades waiting for me ... a wrestler (from Paul), a cowpoke (from Jim), un-socially-distanced - and hence, now deceased - butchers, bakers and candlestick makers (from Brian), a cowhand (from Rick, with fond memories of Randy), a multiplicity of occupations too numerous to mention all finding their way to church on Sunday (from Jon et al) and, to bring us bang up to the present, an IT guy (from Lynda!) Thank you, all! The Playlist is up to date. Please keep those songs coming today whilst I cower indoors to avoid the heat.

So Lonely (The Police)

here is a cover of my favourite song by The Police. Thanks to Paul Marsh for adding the bass and singing some harmonies!

Thank you, Meredith .. that was lovely; songs from bands whose names are trades or professions haven't figured largely so far this week.

And - apropos of nothing - here is the French lesson for today.

In France, a heatwave is strangely called a "canicule." This is of Latin derivation and apparently comes from the arrival of the Dog Star (Canis Majoris) in the sky, which heralds summer and the start of hot weather. And, when you are overcome with the heat you can be said to "transpire comme un boeuf" (sweat like a bullock) ... although I am sure I only ever perspire gently! Now you know!

Last edited:
Thank you for hosting, Val.
I've made a quick video for your theme.
I found these stickers and this lil' song came about.

Thank you, Meredith .. that was lovely; songs from bands whose names are trades or professions haven't figured largely so far this week.

And - apropos of nothing - here is the French lesson for today.

In France, a heatwave is strangely called a "canicule." This is of Latin derivation and apparently comes from the arrival of the Dog Star (Canis Majoris) in the sky, which heralds summer and the start of hot weather. And, when you are overcome with the heat you can be said to "transpire comme un boeuf" (sweat like a bullock) ... although I am sure I only ever perspire gently! Now you know!

Horses sweat. Men perspire. Ladies merely glow. xx

"Walk Right In" is a country blues song written by musician Gus Cannon and originally recorded by Cannon's Jug Stompers in 1929.
Is jug stomping an occupation?
It was also covered successfully (in Australia) by Doctor Hook in 1977

Soldier of Love

The '60s R&B number originally recorded by Arthur Alexander in 1962 (not the Donny Osmond song - nor the Sadé one either!).
Uniquely covered by both the Beatles and Pearl Jam!

The Beatles performed it live on air ("Pop At The BBC") in July 1963 (though it wasn't released till "Live At The BBC" came out in 1994). In 1999, Pearl Jam put out their own version on the B-side of their single "Last Kiss."

Both the Beatles and the Stones were fans of Arthur Alexander. Both groups covered an Alexander-written tune for their respective début album & EP. The Fabs included "Anna (Go To Him) on "Please, Please Me." (1963). The Rolling Stones recorded "You Better Move One" for their eponymous 1964 EP "The Rolling Stones"; their follow-up to their first #1 "I Wanna Be Your Man."

Speaking of the Strolling Bones...

Last edited:
Dear Doctor

...the Jagger/Richards country spoof from 1968's "Beggar's Banquet" - & although critically well-received, one that they've never performed live!

(all of these songs happened to be written in the key of Eb, which is accounts for the tenor uke appearing in all of them :) )

Last edited:
Paul, thanks so much for your soldier and doctor. I've added them both to the Playlist, but I can't listen to them; there doesn't seem to be any sound. I have tried two different devices and with and without earbuds, but nothing is coming through. This could, of course, still be something to do with my very challenged Internet, but I went back to listen to Brian's latest just to check and that was loud and clear.

Last edited:
Paul, thanks so much for your soldier and doctor. I've added them both to the Playlist, but I can't listen to them; there doesn't seem to be any sound. I have tried two different devices and with and without earbuds, but nothing is coming through. This could, of course, still be something to do with my very challenged Internet, but I went back to listen to Brian's latest just to check and that was loud and clear.

No sound here either.

I was looking for a song that fit my voice and this one fit the bill.

SoTU 441 ( Have A Drink On Me - A reworking of the Lonnie Donegan song) Miner, or soon to be ex miner as the song indicates. Also a passing reference to song writer is in there.. " You can make a fortune writing out of date songs " !! note: I have always wondered about that line and having double checked find that it is actually "You can make a fortune writing Adam Faith songs". So I am right as well in my mondergreen ! LOL

(Wonder if he's any relation to Liz's "Miner's Daughter" ?)

Last edited:
Sound's working now.

The '60s R&B number originally recorded by Arthur Alexander in 1962 (not the Donny Osmond song - nor the Sadé one either!).
Uniquely covered by both the Beatles and Pearl Jam!

The Beatles performed it live on air ("Pop At The BBC") in July 1963 (though it wasn't released till "Live At The BBC" came out in 1994). In 1999, Pearl Jam put out their own version on the B-side of their single "Last Kiss."

Both the Beatles and the Stones were fans of Arthur Alexander. Both groups covered an Alexander-written tune for their respective début album & EP. The Fabs included "Anna (Go To Him) on "Please, Please Me." (1963). The Rolling Stones recorded "You Better Move One" for their eponymous 1964 EP "The Rolling Stones"; their follow-up to their first #1 "I Wanna Be Your Man."

Speaking of the Strolling Bones...

...the Jagger/Richards country spoof from 1968's "Beggar's Banquet" - & although critically well-received, one that they've never performed live!

(all of these songs happened to be written in the key of Eb, which is accounts for the tenor uke appearing in all of them :) )

Had sound issues in original recordings on both these. You can hear it at the beginning of each. Don't know why, but when I tried to fix it using Handbrake, YT stripped out all the sound from the 'corrected' .mp4s during the upload.

Weirdly YT studio said that each 'mute' version had 7 'views' each. YT itself recorded zero views for both!

Last edited:
Top Bottom