Season 441: "What's My Line?"

Your Song

Hi Val, wasn't planning anything but when I'd finished doing this as a lesson for a friend it dawned on me that sculptors and potion makers are professions.
I still think this is his best song, hopefully I haven't totally murdered it.
https://youtu.be/yqGGuF5Z-po

I think it's his best song too; but believe it or not, his US label didn't think it was strong enough to serve as more than the B-side to "Take Me To The Pilot." Take me to the who? Precisely.

To be fair though to the label, even more unbelievably, the first recording of Your Song was by 3-Dog Night (on their album It Ain't Easy); 6 months before Elton's version (Elton had been their opening act).

It's dreadful & maybe that's why his label was nervous about releasing it as a single, especially as his first release ("Border Song") had ''peaked" at no.92.

Just a brief interruption to let all of you know that I have posted the theme for Season 442 out in the Threads section. Do remember though that there is still something like 34 hours remaining in Val's most excellent season and she now has unlimited internet.

And Good Morning (& etc.) from deepest France, where the sun is NOT shining ... which at least means that it's not so hot! Big thanks to Geoff, Jim and Lynda, who brought us a weatherman, a tailor and an icecream van man respectively. (Thought ... do they have icecream vans in the States?) The Playlist is up to date. This is our last full day, so please find some more occupations to add to our growing list. Remember, as Andy so kindly pointed out, I have UNLIMITED Internet access now ... I can handle ANYTHING!!!)

Last edited:
Ha! Ha! (But the principle is still the same ... irritating, tinkly music?)

Damn. Miswrote the link. Fixed it now (https://youtu.be/K22Q6BID918?t=97) (I'd put in a stray '/', perils of trying to compose a post on a tablet instead of a computer).
This is what you should have seen when you clicked on it, only set to music.

Ice_cream_truck.jpg

Sadly, the standard US jingle has now been caught up in the BLM protests. Apparently, some NYC cops are using it as a 'dog whistle' racist slur: Why Are NYPD Cruisers Playing the Ice Cream Truck Jingle?

The top link (the one I just fixed) is the happy one. xx

Last edited:
Late to the party this week. It has been so hot here (averaging 36º C) I have just felt my brain melting all week and not had any inspiration. Then, today, the first line of this song to the tune of Iggy Pop's "The Passenger" slipped into my brain in the cool of the early morning and I mapped out the basics on a pad. Later we went to the beach and, as I dried out after a cooling swim, I wrote the main bulk of the song, tidying it up at home on the PC.

You get to see more of me than you usually do in this video. This is partly a personal homage to Iggy Pop (who likes to perform shirtless) and also because it was over 38º in the bedroom where I was recording this.

Hope you enjoy

It took all week to learn, but here is how I tried to bring the painter profession to the season:

In before dark! Many thanks to the coffee and to the baristas who provide that motivating ambrosia

It is my sad duty to declare Season 441 officially closed! Thank you all for the many and varied occupations you have brought; your contributions have been much appreciated. I will post the wrap in the next few days. Meanwhile, NOW it is over to Andy ...

Top Bottom