Season 441: "What's My Line?"

This is one of the most iconic synthpop songs of the 80s and was a worldwide hit for the Human League. So we all know what happens next - Del gets out his keyboards, spends a whole evening creating a cover version using all manner of weird and wonderful synth and drum sounds, then adds in some minimal and barely audible uke strumming to make it just about legal as a Season entry - right? Well, actually no! Just uke and voice here - I had to double up on the vocal as the uke was so loud that it drowned out my voice. Added a bit of reverb for good measure, but no keys or drum sounds. And the occupation mentioned is waitress btw! :)

Another oldie from me which mentions a butcher,a baker,a grocer,a clerk and people in show business

And Good Morning (and etc.), Friends! We have now added a cocktail waitress (who became something other?) courtesy of Del, numerous tradesmen and showbiz people (thank you, Stanley!) and that most honourable profession, ukulele maker (inspired Lynda!) to our arsenal of trades and professions. We are, indeed, a versatile lot! The Playlist is now up to date ... please keep those songs coming today.

This Lennon & McCartney murder ballad features a couple of scientists, a teacher, a policeman, and a judge (deceased).

I stumbled upon this song completely by accident a few weeks ago ... and this seems the ideal opportunity to air it. It is totally bonkers - even for the 1960s - but was a very big hit in Australia in early 1968; in fact, the biggest-selling hit by an Australian artist in that decade. If this isn't enough, it is accompanied by a Creative Commons video which I adapted, of a woman being murdered by a vacuum cleaner. If my video seems daft, then have a look at the original version by John Farnham, which is ... unbelievable! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0c55lXRAeg

This is a song that never fails to choke me up when I hear it. It’s about a road sweeper - and it’s a reminder that everyone is allowed to have their dreams and their ambitions - and their dignity. Once again I doubled up on the vocals in order to be heard above the uke, and I added some harmonies to the chorus and at the end. :)

And Good Morning (& etc.) on this lovely, sunny Thursday ... well, here anyway! We have moved out into the streets for the two latest contributions ... a road sweeper and a meter maid; big thanks to Del and Andy! I love the variety of jobs which you are finding! Please keep those employment opportunities coming today ... the Job Centre needs YOU!!!

I'll just leave this here and then totter off.

Hi Val, thanks for hosting! Hope I can catch up on listening tonight! Here's a traditional British Folk Song called "John Barleycorn Must Die" Cheers ~

The Wrestler

Bb tuning. Very handy for songs in Eb.

Here's a Gene Autry tune that I used to sing to my kids as I bounced them on my knee. I've known it for 70 years or so. Sorry for the false start.

This is what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Top Bottom