Carving neck jig video

Timbuck

Reaction score
Ken, it's quite similar to mine apart from the block at the bottom which goes in the vice. I like that block idea, enabling the neck to be angled from side to side and turned round with ease. Thanks for the idea, which I'll steal and adapt for mine. Cheers Mike.

Thats a great jig Ken- every 15 degree headstock of mine is different and needs shimming etc on my neck carving thingy.
looks like I have another excuse for a hardware store run :)

Sure is a lot more elegant than my big old C-clamp method.

I can see how Ken's jig would be a big help, but so far I've just clamped the headstock into my woodworking vise. It's secure enough for spokeshave and filing, but you end up being somewhat limited in angle of attack.

CARVING JIG UPGRADE

my Son Mike who happens to be a drummer says to me I’ve got something that you can use on that jig..5 mins later he comes back with this..it’s a Yamaha Tom Tom connector and it has a universal ball joint.

6C464B8A-9101-4500-963F-453F2AD5EC79 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Great says I ..and an hour later I’d managed to get this far .

8AE98-9C4A-23A026CB91B5 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

It goes in the vice or vice (depending where you come from) like this.
32544212-6D5E-4490-8AA9-DF8FD6908457 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

And while I was waiting for the wife to come back from the shops I made this little video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0VGkyHCDlM

Last edited:
Beautiful!... However I think you are using the wrong type of file. That type of file I think is designed to file metal not wood and will clog. What I use are cooking rasp-zesters which are very fast on wood and cheap. Available in grocery stores and come in different sizes. Below is the large size. Removes wood fast but not too fast and then the wood can be smoothed out. Doesn't gouge too bad...

SIL_RaspGrater_Microplane.jpg

PS: I see your Marshal amp is the good one. The volume goes to 11.

Beautiful!... However I think you are using the wrong type of file. That type of file I think is designed to file metal not wood and will clog. What I use are cooking rasp-zesters which are very fast on wood and cheap. Available in grocery stores and come in different sizes. Below is the large size. Removes wood fast but not too fast and then the wood can be smoothed out. Doesn't gouge too bad...

View attachment 128654

PS: I see your Marshal amp is the good one. The volume goes to 11.

I normally use that file for the finished job ..I was just using it to demo the jig positions..I have a range of old “made in Sheffield England” rasps that I bought in bulk years ago....after a trial of the ball joint on the jig I came to the conclusion that it was no better than it was before and a bit OTT but it works so I’ll leave it as is for now.

Never tell a Master that he is using the wrong tool. Period! Just don't do it.... :) :) :) And as for those zesters? If those kitchen utensils work for you then gr8. I've found them useless especially with tough end grain.

FYI I use European hand stitched rasps costing plenty of bucks but make this type of work a dream easy. I finish with a 2nd cut engineering file which if used properly does not clog up. Straight to 180 after that...

Wasn't this thread about a neck 'horse'/ neck carving jig? How did we get here :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom