Technical Sound Question

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Two singers want to perform together while listening to a recording of the song they're singing. This is what I came up with.

Each singer would have wireless each buds. They would be linked to a cell phone through Bluetooth. When the phone plays the song, each singer would hear it at the same time and sing along with it. Sound reasonable?

Bluetooth tends to have a lag/latency, I've had that happen to me. Wired headphones is usually the best way to go. Does the phone have a 3.5mm headphone jack? If so, you can use a 3.5mm splitter and two wired headphones.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Bluetooth tends to have a lag/latency, I've had that happen to me. Wired headphones is usually the best way to go. Does the phone have a 3.5mm headphone jack? If so, you can use a 3.5mm splitter and two wired headphones.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

That was the first idea, but the singers won't be that close to each other, and running wires from the device to the singers would be awkward. If both singers get the same lag, that should be fine. This will be videotaped, so appearance counts. :eek:

EDIT: Another idea. If they used just one pair of earbuds, with each singer having just one, that should work, right?

Last edited:
BT should be ok for this application. I'm not sure about the dual output option. Give it a try!

That was the first idea, but the singers won't be that close to each other, and running wires from the device to the singers would be awkward. If both singers get the same lag, that should be fine. This will be videotaped, so appearance counts. :eek:

EDIT: Another idea. If they used just one pair of earbuds, with each singer having just one, that should work, right?

I would think so if it is a mono signal. If it's stereo, the gain may travel between the left and the right side depending upon how it was mixed. Listen to the recording and see if the signal travels from left to right.

You may want to mix the stereo sound into mono, then save it as balanced stereo so both ear pieces get the same sound and volume.

You'll share how it works out, right?

If there's a chance that the recording can be edited in a post-production sort of thing, I recommend adding a click track to the instrumental recording. Have each singer sing the song against the click track separately, and then remove it when you lace the two tracks of the two singers performing together.

If that's not an option for some reason, your earbud idea is neat. But I'd be prepared for things being out of sync just enough to cause major headaches. At the risk of layering on another complication bit of technology, you might want to have them have access to a live video of each other. One can lead the other through the song using the visual cues of breathe control and a bit of conducting.

Top Bottom