Seeking to buy a not-so-standard ukulele

Y'all done stole both my answers. :p

I think David Hanson could also make you one but he won't be back building til the fall

Romero ST Concert: Soprano length, tenor size body, with concert scale...
Good call. However, that one's neck joins body at 12th fret so upper frets are less accessible. I like the usually increased low & mid-range sound of 12th fret join, but it does somewhat limit use of higher frets. Even so, it's definitely a candidate.

@ EDW -- very good choices. Those concerts have large bodies -- 3" bout depth (great!) but just 8.25" lower-bout width (fair). I'm hoping for 3" and 9" or at least 8.5" or 8.75", but -- these are definitely in the running.

@ Choirguy -- I sent a prelim query to Bonanza Pete.

(By the way -- Oahu dodged the bullet with respect to Hurricane Douglas. PTL!!!)

Hoffmann ML Concert (formerly branded Boat Paddle)

... .Those [Romero] concerts have large bodies -- 3" bout depth (great!) but just 8.25" lower-bout width (fair). I'm hoping for 3" and 9" or at least 8.5" or 8.75", but -- these are definitely in the running.

Glad to know you dodged the Hurricane bullet. As I mentioned on the other thread, the Romero concert is one of my favorites. It has more a tenor sound than the average concert and the larger body makes it sit on my thigh more like a tenor than some concerts.

Glad to know you dodged the Hurricane bullet. As I mentioned on the other thread, the Romero concert is one of my favorites. It has more a tenor sound than the average concert and the larger body makes it sit on my thigh more like a tenor than some concerts.
Thanks for your kind comment -- Hawaii was very blessed that the Hurricane turned a tad northward as it neared Oahu -- just enough so that we were spared any bad effects. It's a good thing -- many of the homes here are single wall, balloon framed construction and would not survive in a hurricane -- even a category 1.

About the large Romero concert -- I checked its size again at aloha city ukes. I erred when I said the lower bout was 8.25". It's actually 8.75" -- that small difference enlarges the lower bout's cubic size more than one would think for a mere 1/2 inch. It's now the one I'm most leaning towards.

I'm glad you enjoy your big Romero concert so much. IMO, a great musical instrument truly has a soul, and responds to the love it senses from its player by yielding beautiful sounds that far exceed the sum of its physical parts.

I am not sure if this Anuenue qualifies as a tenor sizes body, but it looks similar to the body on their tenor. And that one has a big body in my opinion, so I would guess it is bigger than average.
They used to make a concert with a smaller than average body, but moved to this, perhaps larger than average body.
It also comes in a spruce and rosewood combination.

https://www.anuenuemusic.com/en/ukulele/AMM2

Last edited:
I am not sure if this Anuenue qualifies as a tenor sizes body, but it looks similar to the body on their tenor. And that one has a big body in my opinion, so I would guess it is bigger than average.
They used to make a concert with a smaller than average body, but moved to this, perhaps larger than average body.
It also comes in a spruce and rosewood combination.

https://www.anuenuemusic.com/en/ukulele/AMM2
I found that concert listed on 5 websites, but none of them gave even a hint of its physical dimensions except overall length, which was within norms for concert size. I'll keep looking -- thanks for the suggestion.

Good call. However, that one's neck joins body at 12th fret so upper frets are less accessible. I like the usually increased low & mid-range sound of 12th fret join, but it does somewhat limit use of higher frets. Even so, it's definitely a candidate.

@ EDW -- very good choices. Those concerts have large bodies -- 3" bout depth (great!) but just 8.25" lower-bout width (fair). I'm hoping for 3" and 9" or at least 8.5" or 8.75", but -- these are definitely in the running.

@ Choirguy -- I sent a prelim query to Bonanza Pete.

(By the way -- Oahu dodged the bullet with respect to Hurricane Douglas. PTL!!!)

If you want a short scale on a larger body then the 12th fret neck attachment is a logical consequence for a bridge position that will not hamper the top from vibrating. If you move the neck higher than bridge would get too close to soundhole. A compromise might be a top without a center soundhole but two small soundholes or F holes.

If you want a short scale on a larger body then the 12th fret neck attachment is a logical consequence for a bridge position that will not hamper the top from vibrating. If you move the neck higher than bridge would get too close to soundhole. ... ...
You are too too correct! Ergo, I have just today purchased the Romero Concert Ukulele RC-STC ...... the ukulele with a tenor body, concert neck, & soprano-sized overall length. Neck joins body at 12th fret. All solid mahogany.

When that uke arrives, *maybe* its concert fretboard will at last enable me to finger open chords such as 2215 (Dminor).

Many thanks to all who aided me in making this choice, especially Ukecaster (who suggested this particular ukulele) & merlin666, who helped me find peace in buying a uke with a 12th fret join.

Last edited:
Top Bottom