Sold

If you need/want the money for other things, then selling is the right thing to do.

Otherwise, I think there is a good chance that you would regret selling it at some point in the future. It's not a replaceable ukulele.

Our playing styles and tastes can change over time. I didn't like koa initially, but now really like the sound. My tastes expanded. And as the ukulele opens up, you might find that you really like it. If not, you can always sell it at some time in the future, and perhaps the resale market will be better by then, too.

That would be my approach, anyway.

Here's an idea. Why not put some different strings on it to make it sound really different from the other two. Maybe dGBE? Then maybe you'd have a reason to play it more just to see how certain songs sound in that tuning. Just a thought.

If you sell (and I would be on the don't sell side), maybe sell with some sort of buy-back agreement?

I had the same initial "relationship" with my Collings UT3K. While not a MB, it's crazy beautiful koa and the build is impeccable (and it was signed by Bill which makes it that much more special). But it didn't get played because it was SO NICE, and I had other nice ukes to play But I got over that and now really enjoy it. Glad I didn't sell it when the thought crossed my mind. Unless you need to cash out, I'd say spend some more time with it. But if it doesn't grow on you I agree with others, let someone else play it!

It's very simple - if it doesn't bring you immense joy, re-home it to somebody who will. Yes, MBU are very hard to come by, but that doesn't mean you should keep it.

I had an MBU ("Aspen") that I was lucky enough to pick up used from the original owner that was really nice. It sounded great, playability was fantastic, and it was beautiful to look at. But, like you, I had some guilt feelings about the fact that it wasn't the one I always picked up and it's a lot of money to have tied up in something that is not used regularly. For some people, that wouldn't matter. But for me, I don't like having things I don't use regularly. So, I re-homed it with another friend for exactly what I paid (I first offered to it back to the person who sold it to me). I do sometimes wish I still had it, but as I am more focused on guitar these days, I'm pretty sure I'd be selling it if I did. It's a vicious cycle! ;-)

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Snipped:

1. You’d lose money when you sell it. How long will it take for an investment to recover that gap? And is it because everyone’s looking at the market at the moment? Is the market the new MBU? Also, the market will make you more money potentially but you can’t really compare the two.

I think that's highly unlikely with an MBU. In fact, the OP could probably make money on re-sale but I personally don't think it would be right to do so.

I do hear the pretty drastic difference with Ledward's MBU.
In 2012, it sounds very similar to mine, the sound is very tight and thin.
https://youtu.be/CZNSm7N-tjc

In 2015, it opened up so much, the sound is very full and sweet.
https://youtu.be/QbJLPdWU5HA

On the other hand, There are some MBU that sounds the same after years of playing. ( Not bad of course, just personal preference)
https://youtu.be/oWjMiO-M4x8

I’m with Counter. Wow, only in America! We have it too good.

I think I agree with everyone here. I wouldn't sell that, your skill level definitely calls for that kind of uke.
If I had all those ukes, and could only keep one, it would be the MB.

Beside my first thought, not to sell, I wonder if you have tried a bunch of different strings. My first ukulele, a Pono AT taught me just how much strings MAKE a DIFFERENCE! If me, I’d case the other two great ukes for a couple of months, then try a whole wack of different strings, fluro, nylon, Aquila, ....try Uke logic. Just keep trying different strings, materials, manufacturers.

Heck, I might even call Chuck and ask what he thinks.............way before considering selling it!

I could really use a good set up.

The default nut slot is really narrow, it doesn't fit thick nylon strings. I've been playing on fluorocarbon, which I never really dig.

The default action level is 1.75, which is really low. It plays very easy but it losts so much dynamics in exchange. I cut a piece of credit card to put under the saddle, now it plays much better, much more dynamic. The current action level is 2.1-2.25.

Due to the pandemic, I never visit a luthier to set it up properly. I made an appointment with a good luthier this thursday. I'll get a new set of nut and saddle made.

Thank you guys for the advice. I'll report back in a month, when I get the MBU properly set up, and open up with Tonerite machine.

A very talented and wise luthier once advise me: never buy an instrument because of the way you hope it will sound someday. Buy it because you like the way it sounds today.

Moreover, I have learned to ignore the name on the headstock and judge each uke on its own merit. I have played some $5000+ uses that were very mediocre and some inexpensive ukes that were amazing.

Still, after all my years of boutique buying, I was as stunned as anyone when I found my #1 favorite ukulele ever in a Kamaka tenor (a 100th anniversary HF-3D). Nothing against Kamaka. It is just that for too long I drank the kool-aid that small builders were better. Maybe, on average, they might be. However, it always comes down to each individual ukulele. You have to find the one that is great for you.

A very talented and wise luthier once advise me: never buy an instrument because of the way you hope it will sound someday. Buy it because you like the way it sounds today.

Moreover, I have learned to ignore the name on the headstock and judge each uke on its own merit. I have played some $5000+ uses that were very mediocre and some inexpensive ukes that were amazing.
Still, after all my years of boutique buying, I was as stunned as anyone when I found my #1 favorite ukulele ever in a Kamaka tenor (a 100th anniversary HF-3D). Nothing against Kamaka. It is just that for too long I drank the kool-aid that small builders were better. Maybe, on average, they might be. However, it always comes down to each individual ukulele. You have to find the one that is great for you.

This is the most helpful post here. The name on the head stock doesn’t define the instruments voice. Have you heard The Russian, Demetrius on YouTube. Someone posted about him earlier. He is amazing player. First of all I had never heard of him, which doesn’t mean anything. Secondly, he plays a humble Pono tenor - looks to be a standard acacia model. He makes that ukulele sing.

I went back and watched your videos. I thought the Moore Betah sounded great, but not any better than my Kamaka HF3, nor my humble Loprinzi Cherry tenor which to me Has the best tone and playability of all my ukuleles. If you ever visit South Carolina stop by and I’ll let you try it. Well, you might want to wait on coming down (COVID 19 is really high in our state, especially in Greenville county. You might get stuck down here and take up the banjo

Just my 2 cents

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

I find that the name on the label/headstock is an indicator of what may be an excellent instrument for sound and feel. But it is not a guarantee of the instrument fitting your playing style nor giving you the sound you prefer.

I confess that I have recently purchased some very fine tenors. After spending some time with them, I find that my preferences have changed. Ukes I thought were wonderful are now "just" nice. Expectations change as our experiences expand.

By the same token, I have found aspects I now appreciate more in instruments I have owned for a few years.

It's all relative. Our perspectives change.

Tom, do you have a link for this Russian Uke p,Ayer or description to search. I’m interested in hearing him. Thanks.

I had an MBU ("Aspen") that I was lucky enough to pick up used from the original owner ......I first offered to it back to the person who sold it to me......

I was probably stupid for not buying it back! That was a great instrument, and the Aspen leaves were something Chuck did special for me. But like you said so well, Eddie, it's a vicious cycle!

-Steve

+1 with Thank You on Demetrius link. He is a great player. I love his Beatle cover, but alll his stuff is great. Seems to use a Pono MTD or ATD and a Kremona ukulele. Great, clear style. He’s a real musician!

+1 with Thank You on Demetrius link. He is a great player. I love his Beatle cover, but alll his stuff is great. Seems to use a Pono MTD or ATD and a Kremona ukulele. Great, clear style. He’s a real musician!

His Pono tenor is mango

Top Bottom