Noah vs Mainland tenor

domforr

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to ukulele and have been exploring options for a reasonably priced (under £300) tenor to get going with. Looked at various luthier builds in the UK but generally they're a little pricey for the moment. The two brands that I've found are Noah and Mainland - both of which look very good value for money. Can anyone compare the two? Is one better than the other, or are they pretty similar in quality? I'm based in the UK, so Noah is about £60 cheaper.

Okay thanks. Sounds like either could work. Anyone else have any experience of both/either?

I have a Noah spruce top tenor with built in Fishman’s pickup. It is a beautiful instrument, well made and easy to play. I have strung it with Living Water low G. Matt Cohen is a good guy providing excellent after sales service.

Sadly, here in the US we don't really have access to Noah...I'd love to try one.

I do have a Mainland Baritone, and as soon as I can head back to UWC (Cancelled this year), I'll buy a concert in the same configuration...cedar top, rosewood back and sides (unless i find a used one on UU for a savings).

Mine is a "second' with a small area of stain on the cedar that isn't consistent (light) with the rest of the sound board. No problem for me. It sounds wonderful, but I don't mind the rope binding (I remember Jerry saying that a rope binding is a non-starter for him).

And Mike does a ton of things for the ukulele community, schools, and the community in general...a rare "good guy," although there are a lot more such kinds of people in the ukulele world.

However, being in the UK, you might want to support Noah, as that's a company that is rooted in your part of the world, impacting the ukulele world where you live.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. They both seem like quality instruments and decent people, so I suppose it's just a punt either way. I do like the idea of a cedar top, so it's a shame Noah doesn't make one of those. If it's mainly for finger picking/classical is there a particular wood combination you would suggest?

Do you mean in general or specific to Noah and mainland? In general spruce / rosewood is a good combination, as well as koa of course. Actually there are so many great wood combinations, I think build has more of an impact on tone than wood sometimes.

Just in general really. I tend to prefer a cedar/rosewood combination in guitars but that doesn't mean the same will apply to uke's I guess?

I love cedar, I have a cedar / ziricote ukulele that is fantastic. I think the builder / brand can outweigh the wood combination though in some instances. Some builders have a very distinctive sound even regardless of the wood

I've heard good things about both brands and I consider them quite similar. However, Mainland ukes are manufactured in a Chinese factory whereas Noah ukes are made by a Vietnamese luthier, so while I wouldn't say Noah ukes are as good as custom luthier made instruments they do seem more luthier made of that makes sense. Since I'm guessing you live in the UK I would personally support the local brand. However, you can get Mainland ukes from Eagle Music if they have them in stock (which isn't always clear as the website doesn't show stock).

Yes, I think I'll go for the Noah, although it seems the Mahogany and spruce are now both out of stock :-(

Yes, I think I'll go for the Noah, although it seems the Mahogany and spruce are now both out of stock :-(

If you're impatient, both of those are available with a pick up. It'll cost you a bit more but it makes no difference to the acoustic sound and you'll have a pick up ready if you ever want to amplify your uke. Also, the monkeypod tenor is in stock and that wood, I believe, is very similar to mahogany regarding sound. If you're in doubt about the monkeypod model I would contact Matt and inquire about the difference and your personal preference, or you can try and find Youtube videos that compare the monkeypod version to the others.

I've mailed Matt to see when new stock will be in. Not really keen on a pick-up - prefer acoustics to be electric free if possible. He said the monkeypod was a mellower sound than the spruce and mahogany, but hard to say without trying it.

Just a quick update to say I got the mahogany Noah from Eagle music. It sounds nice, if a little subdued. Might just need a change of strings and some getting used to. Some strange white coloured marks on the neck but from what I've read Noahs tend to have some cosmetic imperfections, so I guess I'll just live with this.

Top Bottom