I wish The Ukulele Site ...........

Counter

Reaction score
............... showed bigger images.

I end up going to the page source and downloading the photographs of the ukuleles I am interested in so I can see them properly.

Is there a reason they are so small?

I'd much rather be able to click into a link to a bigger image than get the magnifying glass when I hover over it which always feels like I'm peering at it through a window.

Its not a major issue but it's a site I look at every day and every day I wish the photographs were bigger.

Do you?

When I click on the thumb nails pics they immediately expand to the size of the feature picture. This is viewed on an IPad and a Samsung Galaxy phone.

When I click on the thumb nails pics they immediately expand to the size of the feature picture. This is viewed on an IPad and a Samsung Galaxy phone.

Interesting, I'm using Chrome and Microsoft Edge on my PC and Android on my phone and none of them do that for me (edit - what I mean is the 'feature' picture is as big as they get and it's still pretty small).

Last edited:
Yup! That is what I use too. Also, they upload really good resolution pics so it is still possible to do what counter does.. ukulelefriend on the other hand is a pain to use

This is the only way to get a bigger image - by hovering. I cannot get the whole image this size, I wish I could.

IMG_20200728_163810.jpg

This is the only way to get a bigger image - by hovering. I cannot get the whole image this size, I wish I could.

View attachment 128608
I see your point.
One another option I just tried on Firefox is to open the developer tools and click on network and that list each url the site fetched and you can then select which image address you want.

Yes that's pretty much what I do. I wish they were available without resorting to developer options though. I do agree Ukulele Friend is probably the worst for images which I find odd given that they are selling the most premium instruments!

If they don't resize with a single click, double click them, else right click on them, should give an option to view - that is normal web site practice.

I've got the same results as Counter. I tried Chrome and Firefox on a laptop running Windows 10; and Chrome on an old tablet and this Chromebook. I can't double click, right click didn't work either. Don't know if it could be location-based? UK vs US? Though Croaky Keith might disprove this.

Using Win10, if there's something that has my interest at the Ukulele Site, I use firefox and "save page as." Then in the folder I go looking for the jpgs and click on them. You can find larger versions of the images in the saved folder than the site lets you see all at once.

Using Safari, I right click on a product image at HMS and the dropdown menu has "Inspect Element" at the bottom. Select and I can see all the goodies, including the image folder for that item. All the images from thumbnails for high rez are inside and may be viewed or downloaded.

............... showed bigger images.

I end up going to the page source and downloading the photographs of the ukuleles I am interested in so I can see them properly.

Is there a reason they are so small?

I'd much rather be able to click into a link to a bigger image than get the magnifying glass when I hover over it which always feels like I'm peering at it through a window.

Its not a major issue but it's a site I look at every day and every day I wish the photographs were bigger.

Do you?

You don't have to download (in the traditional sense), just open the URL in your browser. This saves you from managing disk space (and deleting).
If it is something you do everyday, then check out greasemonkey (and similar); it can save you lots of time.

I like the zoom window types because it is easier to examine just the areas of interest on a small screen (my laptop has 12" screen and it works well).

I have the same issue, on this and other sites that give you the magnification, but no option to enlarge the whole picture. At first I thought people were getting different results with different browsers/devices, but it sounds like everyone is either expanding to feature picture size (which is still not that big) or using workarounds to access bigger versions. I'm not sure why sites that have large, high resolution images don't make them easily accessible instead of limiting viewing to zoom/magnifying glass. It's annoying.

Perhaps this is an indication of too much time looking, and you could start spending the time playing a ukulele or surfing around on some music things and expanding your musical knowledge and skill?

The Ukulele Site seems fine to me, its set up to sell ukes and has enough pictures and info to do just that, help a serious buyer find a new ukulele. If you are not a serious buyer, then it probably wont satisfy your needs. They want you to contact them if you want a particular ukulele, then they will give some more information. That is how sales and marketing works.

The Ukulele Site is not a museum for fine ukuleles, it is a sales platform. It has more than enough information and resolution to perform that function. As do most other ukulele selling sites.

Couldn't agree more:cool:

I have the same issue, on this and other sites that give you the magnification, but no option to enlarge the whole picture. At first I thought people were getting different results with different browsers/devices, but it sounds like everyone is either expanding to feature picture size (which is still not that big) or using workarounds to access bigger versions. I'm not sure why sites that have large, high resolution images don't make them easily accessible instead of limiting viewing to zoom/magnifying glass. It's annoying.

I have to admit this has been a minor annoyance to me but I feel like I'm nitpicking because HMS has gone above and beyond in so many respects. Especially the videos, podcasts, and much more. Andrew and Corey, the rest of the podcast team, Joel and the setup team, the packaging department! But yeah it would be nice to some day have the option of double clicking and simply seeing a high resolution image.

Last edited:
I wish The Ukulele Site.......

...... had a store in Oregon. Then the size of their photos on the website wouldn’t matter. The only problem remaining would be the size of my bank account. :)

Perhaps this is an indication of too much time looking, and you could start spending the time playing a ukulele or surfing around on some music things and expanding your musical knowledge and skill?

The Ukulele Site seems fine to me, its set up to sell ukes and has enough pictures and info to do just that, help a serious buyer find a new ukulele. If you are not a serious buyer, then it probably wont satisfy your needs. They want you to contact them if you want a particular ukulele, then they will give some more information. That is how sales and marketing works.

The Ukulele Site is not a museum for fine ukuleles, it is a sales platform. It has more than enough information and resolution to perform that function. As do most other ukulele selling sites.

That's a pretty hostile overreaction to my casual observation Bill. I wasn't in any way attacking the site, I was merely saying I wished they had bigger images of the products I might want to buy.

I have been very satisfied with HMS and the 3 past ukes I have purchased from them. Their podcast and whole team are great... However, higher res pics would be nice.

Last edited:
I’ve been working on a new website off and on for over a year. Platforms or browsers change and things get buggy. But it’s not far off and I think you guys will like the new picture gallery and layout. Sincere thanks for the feedback though, and much love for the community here.

I’ve been working on a new website off and on for over a year. Platforms or browsers change and things get buggy. But it’s not far off and I think you guys will like the new picture gallery and layout. Sincere thanks for the feedback though, and much love for the community here.

Thanks for the update Andrew! We really appreciate all you guys do. Thanks Counter for starting an interesting thread.

Top Bottom