UPS Rates for Shipping Ukes

Our local retail guitar store has used boxes from prior shipments that they sell for a few dollars. You might check your local stores.

It cost me $125 to ship a tenor ukulele USPS First Class and case from Honolulu to California...

Something ain't right there...USPS first class package is limited to less than a pound.

The USPS package equivalents are Priority Mail. Different delivery "times" and "Sign For" specs. Over $50 insurance is also extra.

The USPS package equivalents are Priority Mail. Different delivery "times" and "Sign For" specs. Over $50 insurance is also extra.

shipped a kamaka tenor in the case back to Kamaka. California to Hawaii. Cost via USPS with $2500 insurance was $147!

I probably could have picked a slightly smaller box, but it's crazy right now. UPS was over $240; Fedex was over $300. Seriously, it might be cheaper to buy a plane ticket one way and bring it with you.

Something ain't right there...USPS first class package is limited to less than a pound.

I guess you're a shipping lawyer! Sorry, I used whatever the post lady said I had to use. She mumbled the official trade name and I paid. Perhaps the correct legal term is parcel post or maybe priority mail? They have rules about size and use those rules to place your package in a category and you pay. With case it was bulky. And, yes, with insurance it was $125. Not trying to pull your dad burn leg or lying. There was an even higher rate too. Sorry, don't know the official USPS trade name but it was USPS equivalent for UPS 2nd Day Air for another 50 greenbacks or so (she said will deliver on time or its free). I used UPS for years when we had an account with them but now I ship so infrequently I use whatever one-off is nearest to my home. And USPS is across the street...

I guess you're a shipping lawyer! Sorry, I used whatever the post lady said I had to use. She mumbled the official trade name and I paid. Perhaps the correct legal term is parcel post or maybe priority mail? They have rules about size and use those rules to place your package in a category and you pay. With case it was bulky. And, yes, with insurance it was $125. Not trying to pull your dad burn leg or lying. There was an even higher rate too. Sorry, don't know the official USPS trade name but it was USPS equivalent for UPS 2nd Day Air for another 50 greenbacks or so (she said will deliver on time or its free). I used UPS for years when we had an account with them but now I ship so infrequently I use whatever one-off is nearest to my home. And USPS is across the street...

I found out about Priority Mail by asking for the equivalent of First Class and she explained the differences and delivery times and insurance rates. I could have paid $275 to get it there a day earlier-maybe. There are a couple of levels of priority mail. But all include tracking. I think "sign for" was a small additional charge. You can also get a signed receipt, but that's kind of redundant.

"Ah pity the fool" who doesn't use ShipBike.com. Seriously, forget any other service, ShipBikes is it.

I just used this today for the first time to ship a uke. Fantastic! Thank you!

Hey, everyone!

(Mods, if I’ve got this thread going in the wrong place — please work your magic to move to an appropriate place on the UU.)

I see lots of sales going on here, so those of you who are selling your ukes on the UU Marketplace, if you’re shipping your ukuleles (which I’m assuming most folks are), can you please give me an idea of what you’re paying to ship ukuleles via UPS Ground Service within the CONUS — or, if you using another shipper, I’m curious, too, what you’re paying for shipping?

I’m looking to rehome two Pono tenors and an aNueNue concert soon — I would like to have an approximate idea on what I’ll need to calculate to cover my cost for shipping.

Thanks!

It can be expensive. It depends on the size, weight, and distance. Shipping with a case is more secure, but it's also bigger and heavier.

I always use Priority Mail because I can print the label and postage at home. You can go to - https://postcalc.usps.com/ and enter all the info to find out what it will cost. I like the package to get there fast so there is less handling.

shipped a kamaka tenor in the case back to Kamaka. California to Hawaii. Cost via USPS with $2500 insurance was $147!

I probably could have picked a slightly smaller box, but it's crazy right now. UPS was over $240; Fedex was over $300. Seriously, it might be cheaper to buy a plane ticket one way and bring it with you.

I've driven to meet people half way to save them the postage. I'm talking a little more than an hour's drive.

bikeflights is very similar, but uses ups

I was checking and comparing prices to ship an instrument to Hawai'i and as an FYI to everyone that is looking at options - this is from BikeFlights FAQ:

"The use of our services is only for the shipping of bikes and bike gear. Using BikeFlights.com to ship non-bike related items (such as computers, auto parts, personal or business packages, valuables, etc.) is expressly prohibited, and we are not liable for refusal of, delay of, loss of or damage to a shipment of any prohibited item."

So scratch BikeFlights!

And BTW, I followed Mike's advice and went with FedEx through ShipBikes.com - everything went without a hitch. Thanks again Mike!

And since the OP wanted to know prices, I shipped a tenor from Indiana to Honolulu with $1,300 insurance for $77.

Last edited:
And BTW, I followed Mike's advice and went with FedEx through ShipBikes.com - everything went without a hitch. Thanks again Mike! And since the OP wanted to know prices, I shipped a tenor from Indiana to Honolulu with $1,300 insurance for $77.

Glad to be of service.

I just used ShipBikes.com as well. Under $40 to Fed-Ex a soprano in a hard case from MN to CA with $2000 insurance. Fast and easy! Thanks Michael!

~Jodie

Last edited:
Top Bottom