What was your first song you played?

Waltzing Matilda and no, I'm not Australian.

Hard to remember what I had for breakfast five hours ago, let alone songs I played fifteen years ago.

But,
Stand By Me
C. Am. F. G7. C.

Simple chords, riff on the strum or play it straight

These changes are very useful for lots of songs, especially old pop songs and R&R songs from the fifties.
Try Ricky Nelson's Poor Little Fool
26 Miles Across The Sea
Blue Moon
Heart & Soul

In the fifties a cousin left her ukulele at our house and I learned Frog Went A-Courtin', a tune my dad used to sing to us. Dad sang a different ending that I've never heard anyone else do:

They paddled off across the lake, uh huh,
They paddled off across the lake
And got swallered up by a big black snake, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.

That was the end of him and her, uh huh,
That was the end of him and her,
Now we won't have tadpoles covered in fur, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.

These changes are very useful for lots of songs, especially old pop songs and R&R songs from the fifties.
Try Ricky Nelson's Poor Little Fool
26 Miles Across The Sea
Blue Moon
Heart & Soul

In the fifties a cousin left her ukulele at our house and I learned Frog Went A-Courtin', a tune my dad used to sing to us. Dad sang a different ending that I've never heard anyone else do:

They paddled off across the lake
And got swallered up by a big black snake, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.

That was the end of him and her,
Now we won't have tadpoles covered in fur, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.

I'd never heard that ending before. I love it.

I really wanted to learn how to play Arctic Monkeys - I bet you look good on the dancefloor. Not the actual first one I learnt but one of my main motivations

Any CCR song is fun to do and they go from very easy to easy.....

The first song I learned ( and performed ) on the uke was The New York Mining Disaster of 1941 by The Bee Gees.

the book "One-chord songs around the clock"

It don't remember which song it was but if I chose one today, it would certainly be a one-chord song like Frere Jacques so that I don't need to deal with chord changes.
I have even put together a book on one-chord songs since: it is titled "One-chord songs around the clock". It has 33 one-chord songs that has sheet music, canons, partners songs, practice ideas and audio. Get one copy today! More info, sample pages & audio: [B]https://www.onechordsongs.com[/B]/
Paperback: https://www.amazon.com/dp/6150077705/
Kindle eBook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L566X19/
The cover: one_chord_songs_around_the_clock_borito_a_honlapra.jpg

Mine was the Lion Sleeps Tonight. I highly recommend getting the songbook the Daily Ukulele. Many of the songs are super simple, with two or three chords. There are also some more complex ones that you can work on as you grow. There's old favorites, traditional folk songs, pop songs, 60s and 70s stuff - something for everybody. With 365 songs to choose from you won't get bored for a while. I started finding ones I wasn't familiar with on Youtube, and when I liked something I would learn it. That's fun too.

Aura Lee, the first practice piece that sounded like music when I played it. I am very new at instruments and the uke. I was plunking away on the practice notes in a beginner uke book and when I tried Aura Lee it was the first time I felt like I was actually playing an instrument and making music. That was way back in October of 2020.

I just got my uke on Friday. Learned to play Over the Rainbow (the chords at least, the strumming pattern is gonna take a lot of practice).

Then learned the Lava song :) So much fun in such a simple song.

The first song i played in full was I Know Places by Taylor swift. It's pretty simple the chords are am, c, f, g, dm and em.

Hmm.........let's see. It was a long time ago, but one of the first was "All My Lovin''. Don't actually remember the first for sure-could be the Banana Boat Song.

Tiny Bubbles.

It was on a cruise ship 2017 to Hawaii. They were offering free ukulele lessons. I did no want to do it but my partner insisted. Despite being a bit against I attended the sessions with her. For most of the sessions I just watched because they had limited amount of Ukuleles. Then nearing the end of the cruise ship my partner handed me a Ukulele... I started strumming and fell in love. Now I play the Ukulele regularly and my lovely wife always reminds me how I did not even wanted to do it in the first place. Haha.

I thought Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones would be easy because the chords were all standard looking:

[N.C.] Hey! Ho! Let's go!
Hey! Ho! Let's go!
Hey! Ho! Let's go!
[A] Hey! Ho! Let's go!

They're forming in a straight line [D] [E]
[A] They're goin' thru a tight wind [D] [E]
[A] The kids are losin' their minds [D]
[E] Blitzkrieg [A] Bop! [D] [A]

They're piling in the back seat [D] [E]
[A] They're generating steam heat [D] [E]
[A] Pulsating to the back beat [D]
[E] Blitzkrieg [A] Bop! [D] [A]

[D] Hey! Ho! Let's go!
[A] Shoot 'em in the back now [D] [A]
[D] What they want, I don't know
They're all revved up and [D] ready to [E] go!

Look at all the mistakes I made: Three of the chords are not for a first day beginner. As well, the D,A at the end of many lines is to be played very rapidly. Finally, singing is tough for me, but the beginning of the song is basically acapella, so this was a bad choice.

I tried Jason Mraz, I'm Yours (C G Am F) and that was much better.

oh that's easy.. the song goes like this, the first, the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift....... ;)

I'm still learning how to play Hallelujah. I really love this song and I dream of playing it some day.

Top Bottom