Song Help Request Help to recreate guitar slide effect

Noamand

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first thread in this beautiful forum.

I'd like to play this song on ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTzRStizG0 (here's an English version if you fancy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHQWXjxQp4 ).

Chords are pretty simple, but i'd like to give it that extra touch by recreating the guitar slide at the beginning. I don't know how to explain it properly, but if you listen to the first ten seconds of the song you will hear it. You can hear that the guitar doesn't go from a chord to another abruptly; it's like a smooth change that really sounds like a slide to me. The chords are Am-Dm-F-G if I didn't get them wrong. Any suggestion on how to slide form one to another? Maybe barre?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, this is my first thread in this beautiful forum.

I'd like to play this song on ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTzRStizG0 (here's an English version if you fancy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHQWXjxQp4 ).

Chords are pretty simple, but i'd like to give it that extra touch by recreating the guitar slide at the beginning. I don't know how to explain it properly, but if you listen to the first ten seconds of the song you will hear it. You can hear that the guitar doesn't go from a chord to another abruptly; it's like a smooth change that really sounds like a slide to me. The chords are Am-Dm-F-G if I didn't get them wrong. Any suggestion on how to slide form one to another? Maybe barre?

Thanks!

Actually, it is pretty simple - if you are sure about that chord progression. I can think of two ways off the top of my head, but I have to ask one question:

How are you with Barre Chords?

Easy way one: 1st/2nd position chords, (string order is 1=A 2=E 3=C 4=G; I don't remember if that is standard, but I play by ear.)

Am 0002 Dm 0122 F 0102 G 2320 Got it? Now, forget the F you know - Play F 3102 and instead of G, you are going to play G7 5254

When you start, use you middle finger on the 2nd fret of the G string. It will not move for 3 of the chords. (We will call it the "anchor")

Am - Anchor 2nd fret of G string Do Not Move the Anchor!
Dm - 2nd anchor: Index finger on 1st fret E string. Ring finger on 2nd fret C string
F - Keep first and second anchors in place, lift ring finger, place pinky on A string 3rd fret (Third Anchor)
G7 - Add ring finger on 3rd fret C string, then slide up two frets (Start 3132, slide to 5354).

Try it a few times, and you'll see how your fingers start falling into place naturally.

The other method uses barring.

Am -Start out with the 1st anchor - Ring finger on G string, 2nd fret. 0002
Dm - Slide the anchor to the 7th fret, and place your index finger across all of the strings as you are sliding. The index finger should stop at the 5th fret. anchor on 7th. 5557
F - Pull off the anchor finger, and place your 3rd anchor (pinky) on the 8th fret of the A string. 8555
G - Slide everything up 2 frets index across 7th fret, pinky on 10th fret. 10777

(Try it with a slide on your index finger, put don't push down too hard)

With either method, try it slowly, then faster as you can tolerate it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

But that's just how I usually do that - not on that song, but it is a common progression.

I'm not a teacher, I read neither notation nor tab. I'm sure that there are others here on the forum that do either, or both, and can give you a better way to do this.

But irrespective of the method you choose, the most important thing is: Have Fun!

I had a quick listen. The whole intro is just an A minor chord (2000).
The bass plays the sliding part you are trying to copy. If you have a low G this is pretty easy to do.
Play 2 0 0 0 (slide) 5 0 0 0 (slide) 7 0 0 0 - 10 0 0 0 - 9 0 0 0 - 7 0 0 0
It just repeats throughout.
The hard part is to strum the open strings lightly so that they don't overpower the sliding G string.

I hope this helps!

-JoJo

Top Bottom