WEN 6524 Oscillating Belt and Spindle Sander Proiblems

Explorer77

Reaction score
I bought a WEN 6524 Oscillating Belt and Spindle Sander and I can't seem to get the belt to track right. It either goes up or down into the base no matter how lightly I use the adjusting knob. Anyone else have this problem? and has been able to fix it?
Wen.jpg

From what I have read, this is not a very good tool. Sorry. Here is a typical review:

I think this product would work however the belt adjustment knob was stripped right out of the box. trying to keep the belt from flying up or down has been impossible. I guess I can try to find a new screw that isn't stripped and see how it goes but this is frustrating since I have a job due soon. no stars till I see how this plays out.

final take on this...
after lining up a fast square on the spindals and the platform there's no way I could produce a square product at the end... so returned it. I purchased a Ridgid and right out of the box it worked perfectly and was surprisingly square, but how long it lasts remains to be seen.
Some have had success with this Wen product, I didn't, so if you roll the dice... you may get one that works, or you may end up wasting your valuable time!

I've got one of those but under a different trade name, mine is a "Triton" same Chinese machine...I was going to send it back as it was way out of square.
But! being the engineering fool that I am :rolleyes: I took it apart and rebuilt it. it is ok now but the quality is not as good as my old spindle sander The Boss Delta...I agree with Sequoia that it is not a very good tool. there are much better quality ones out there but a lot more expensive.

I think the end rollers on sanders like this are typically a bit tapered on either end, which helps the belt track. In other words, they aren't plain cylinders, but are subtly football-shaped. If all else fails, I wonder if you could check the rollers and see whether they are convex or flat, and add a slight taper somehow. If only you had a power sander, that might work ;)

I think the end rollers on sanders like this are typically a bit tapered on either end, which helps the belt track. In other words, they aren't plain cylinders, but are subtly football-shaped. If all else fails, I wonder if you could check the rollers and see whether they are convex or flat, and add a slight taper somehow. If only you had a power sander, that might work ;)
Small end roller is convex other end is standard flat ...mine works ok.

There is a tension lever but it doesn't have a adjustment to that setting..

They are both flat.

Maybe you just need to return the thing...

Ooo slip it a box, Jock
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just listen to me
Put it on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself a new sander

Ooo slip it a box, Jock
Make a new plan, Stan
Just listen to me
Put it on the bus, Gus

Dont worry about the condition you return it in...I once bought a pallet load of "customer catalogue returned angle grinders" most of e'm were in a bad condition stripped gears, ceased up bearing. burned out motors, and covered in concrete dust..at the depo no inspection,they just throw them on the pile of returned goods.

Ooo slip it a box, Jock
Make a new plan, Stan
Just listen to me
Put it on the bus, Gus

Good one! However, I bought it used..

Top Bottom