Multiple ukuleles, same pickup?

KaminTheWeaver

Reaction score
For those who have multiple ukuleles with pickups installed:

Do you use different pickups to tailor to the instrument or use, or do you use the same pickup on all your ukuleles? I’m looking to install a couple pickups on different ukuleles that I’d use differently (Koaloha and Kanilea) and was wondering what others do in similar situations.

Same pickup: I have an iRig Acoustic Stage pickup that moves from uke to uke.

(Everything with a dedicated pickup is different but not deliberately so)

For those who have multiple ukuleles with pickups installed:

Do you use different pickups to tailor to the instrument or use, or do you use the same pickup on all your ukuleles? I’m looking to install a couple pickups on different ukuleles that I’d use differently (Koaloha and Kanilea) and was wondering what others do in similar situations.

Different pickups do behave differently, but the main driving factor behind my decisions are:

-What pickup is available at the time of installation?
-What budget do I want to spend on this particular ukulele?
-Can the pickup be installed on this ukulele? (i.e. some ukes can't handle undersaddle piezo installation well as others due to depth of saddle groove, etc).
-Type of pickup? Undersaddle vs Soundboard transducer (eg: Peterman, K&K Bigshot)

Generally speaking, I would want the best quality as possible available to me at the time.

I use the same two pickups (Five-0 & MISI) in four of my ukes because I know they work and I know they sound good.

Trying to "match" a pickup to a specific instrument is a moving target. Not something I would consider trying to do unless you can defer the choice to a top-notch luthier or tech who's installed 100s of pickups. Too many variables.

A pickup that many people have had success with SHOULD sound good as long as the uke is of somewhat decent quality. If it doesn't, the installation should be reexamined.

Last edited:
3 out of 4 of my ukes have pick-ups. All are MiSi. I like how MiSi pick-ups sound & how they work.

3 out of 4 of my ukes have pick-ups. All are MiSi. I like how MiSi pick-ups sound & how they work.

I am considering adding to pickup to my Pono Baritone...from what I have read, the MiSi is a great pickup and is re-chargeable using the included outlet charger, which sounds great to me ! Do you happen to know if it will work for a Pono...I have read elsewhere that all pickups wont work on all ukes, because of the bridge depth...thanks for any information.

LR Baggs 5.0 pickups in all my new ukes, nothing else will do for ol' Steedy! :)

I am considering adding to pickup to my Pono Baritone...from what I have read, the MiSi is a great pickup and is re-chargeable using the included outlet charger, which sounds great to me ! Do you happen to know if it will work for a Pono...I have read elsewhere that all pickups wont work on all ukes, because of the bridge depth...thanks for any information.
As far as I know, you can install a MiSi with a Pono ukulele. To be sure, I'd check with either HMS or Mim. They both sell Pono & install a lot of pick-ups in the ukuleles they sell. They will know for sure.

I put one in my Pono, no problems.

I out a Mi-si trio in my Kanile'a and am having a shop install one in my Iz. This setup is recommended by a couple friends who are professional performers.

Top Bottom