Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uke Like the Pros Online Shop

Default Uke Like the Pros Online Shop

Have I been living under a rock? I knew that Uke Like the Pros had video lessons, but I had never heard of their 'ukulele shop.

Can anyone chime in on their service? Looks like they have some good ukes. Curious since they claim they're the "THE #1 ONLINE UKULELE SHOP" yet I can only find them mentioned in a handful of threads in passing.

Gimme the scoops, gang! Stay safe out there!
    Brad Bordessa

6th Sense Course - Learn to play double-stop 6th harmonies

Listen to my ʻukulele podcast!

Terry’s shop has grown bigger, and I believe I saw on Instagram or Facebook that he was moving into a bigger space. I got my Romero DH-6 from him where he sent me pictures of 3 to choose from. On top of that, he gave me a discount when I asked. He’s great to work with.

He does have some nice ukes, his prices are similar to others, but his $55.00 shipping seems a bit steep, at least to me.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post
    Curious since they claim they're the "THE #1 ONLINE UKULELE SHOP" yet I can only find them mentioned in a handful of threads in passing.
    I only started hearing about them through their ads within the last couple of weeks. Just note that I could start a webpage tomorrow and call myself the #1 seller of ukes, and legally, it isn't fraud--it's puffery. Anyone can claim to be #1--it's not scientific, there's no stated basis for comparison, etc.
    Koaloha KTM-00 (new style); Ohana TK-260G; Ohana BKT-250G (baritone with tenor neck); Kala slot-head baritone KA-ABP-CTG; Martin S1 soprano; and Goldtone Little Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by jisa View Post
    I only started hearing about them through their ads within the last couple of weeks. Just note that I could start a webpage tomorrow and call myself the #1 seller of ukes, and legally, it isn't fraud--it's puffery. Anyone can claim to be #1--it's not scientific, there's no stated basis for comparison, etc.
    Oh yes... I've been doing the website thing as long as Aldrine guys. I've seen the self-proclaimed "#1"s come and go. That's why I was curious to get community feedback. But it doesn't look like there's much to be known about this establishment yet.
    Brad Bordessa

6th Sense Course - Learn to play double-stop 6th harmonies

Listen to my ʻukulele podcast!

I bought a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor 6-string from him when HMS was out of stock. He sent it via slow boat USPS to Honolulu—took five weeks. I think it sat in a USPS warehouse for weeks. It arrived crushed. The box looked like the bellows for a view camera! The TT6 played (sounded good too) but had two big cracks: one on the side and another on the spruce soundboard (my penlight could be seen through the cracks). Terry communicated well and handled the return promptly, refunding my money within a few days. I assume he used USPS by boat to save money but the extra $50 for parcel post or UPS would have been a much safer and faster choice.

Just to chime in, I've been taking online lessons from Terry for a couple of years now. I've purchased about 4 ukes and 1 guitarlele, along with books and other accessories from his store at 'Uke Like The Pros'. He is honest and legit, and if you have any issues he will take care of you. My last purchase was a Koaloha kcm-25 through his store. After a few days with the uke, upon further examination, I noticed a manufacturing flaw along one edge of the fretboard. Terry asked for pics and said not to worry, that he would take care of me. He was in contact with Koaloha, and after a few days gave me a couple options. I chose to have it replaced. He asked me to pick a replacement from his store, and covered the shipment for both units.
    He has a good relationship with Pop's at koaloha, and Pepe at Romero Creations. He usually has a very good selection of instruments with numerous pics of each one so you can make your own selection.
    I highly recommend his store without reservation if your in the market for a new uke, or guitarlele.
    Last edited by jkib; 07-31-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkib View Post
    Just to chime in, I've been taking online lessons from Terry for a couple of years now. I've purchased about 4 ukes and 1 guitarlele, along with books and other accessories from his store at 'Uke Like The Pros'. He is honest and legit, and if you have any issues he will take care of you. My last purchase was a Koaloha kcm-25 through his store. After a few days with the uke, upon further examination, I noticed a manufacturing flaw along one edge of the fretboard. Terry asked for pics and said not to worry, that he would take care of me. He was in contact with Koaloha, and after a few days gave me a couple options. I chose to have it replaced. He asked me to pick a replacement from his store, and covered the shipment for both units.
    He has a good relationship with Pop's at koaloha, and Pepe at Romero Creations. He usually has a very good selection of instruments with numerous pics of each one so you can make your own selection.
    I highly recommend his store without reservation if your in the market for a new uke, or guitarlele.
    Terry seems like a great guy, but I’ve never been impressed with his playing. I mean no disrespect, he obviously has a solid following, but has he taught you much? I for example use Matt Dahlberg for my main teacher. Not only is he clear and concise, he’s an amazing player. I just cant see why Terry would be the choice with other more talented teachers out there. I could be very wrong and Terry is one of the best teachers, I just cant see why he would be the choice. Again, I try to always be positive with my comments, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibes37 View Post
    Terry seems like a great guy, but I’ve never been impressed with his playing. I mean no disrespect, he obviously has a solid following, but has he taught you much? I for example use Matt Dahlberg for my main teacher. Not only is he clear and concise, he’s an amazing player. I just cant see why Terry would be the choice with other more talented teachers out there. I could be very wrong and Terry is one of the best teachers, I just cant see why he would be the choice. Again, I try to always be positive with my comments, just wondering.
    That seems a little harsh. I am not drawn to Terry because his goals don't interest me at all. He seems to emphasize playing the ukulele in a very, very traditional way and that doesn't appeal to me. However, I cannot deny that he does what he sets out to do rather well. Also, I have to admit that I've only seen his remedial lessons. I haven't seen how he handles more advanced topics. Perhaps I would be a convert if I could see those things.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    That seems a little harsh. I am not drawn to Terry because his goals don't interest me at all. He seems to emphasize playing the ukulele in a very, very traditional way and that doesn't appeal to me. However, I cannot deny that he does what he sets out to do rather well. Also, I have to admit that I've only seen his remedial lessons. I haven't seen how he handles more advanced topics. Perhaps I would be a convert if I could see those things.
    I did not intend to sound harsh. I apologize to Terry and his many fans if I came off that way. Perhaps I would be a convert if I could see those as well.

Edit: You also make a great point, maybe he’s a great taking off teacher and then you move on. I understand why you would do business with him. His trustworthy charisma is very reassuring. I feel bad now, ha, maybe I’m just a Matt Dahlberg Fanboy!
    Last edited by Kibes37; 07-31-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Thread Information