Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Uke Like the Pros Online Shop

I'm very new to the uke scene and ULTP is one of the first places you find when looking for instruments or lessons. There are a large number of videos on YouTube and I appreciate them being there as a source of information. But like any source, they are coloured by their purpose which is to further the ULTP business. Nothing wrong with that - long gone are the days when content was made by people purely for the love of making content. The more uke info that's out there, the better in my opinion - more data allows you to make an informed decision rather than relying on a single person's opinion.

Tough crowd! :P

I remember when ULTP suddenly showed up on YouTube and took over the search results. I watched a video or two, but everything about it felt strongly commercial and "over-produced", and it's not for me. Content like the material created by HMS/The Ukulele Site works better for me. Ultimately, they'd also like to sell me something, but the videos and information feel more "genuine" for lack of a better word. I even bought some smaller things from HMS as a thank-you for all their contributions, which isn't a desire evoked by content that more directly aims at selling courses or instruments.

Anyway, it's all a matter of preference. There is no shortage of other content out there that is more "natural" and less over-done, so alternatives without the "car salesman" vibe are available. If this content creator is popular, and that seems to be the case, it just means there are plenty of people who enjoy the format. Choice is good.

It's a bit nauseating to see Romero Creations & Daniel Ho being marketed like a bunch of disposable, poorly stamped out poorly QC'ed Kalas.

AF497889-7C1F-42FA-A87D-08013919FD30.jpg

Vs

F13E2818-C866-4909-8F18-70E809925D76.jpg
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

For what it is worth, I have purchased one instrument from Uke Like the Pros, and it was a fine experience. The instrument in question (a Kanilea concert) was on sale, and even with the shipping and charge for full setup, it was still a pretty good deal. Shipping was fast, and it was well packed. Setup was good (not quite Mim good, but good) and I was satisfied with experience.

(With all of that said, the instrument itself hasn't really gelled with me, and given my stable of instruments, I am likely to try to sell it along soon. It deserves to be played and I don't give it the attention that it deserves.)

I have not taken any of his lessons or courses, so I can't speak to that. I am also not a fan of the braggadocio, but if you are just buying an instrument, and ULTPs has what you are looking for, it's fine.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Quote Originally Posted by Wukulele View Post
    It's a bit nauseating to see Romero Creations & Daniel Ho being marketed like a bunch of disposable, poorly stamped out poorly QC'ed Kalas.
    So I can only guess how you feel about this...

ULTP.jpg

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

Quote Originally Posted by pmorey View Post
    His setups are an extra $30 and are done by The Repair Zone, a guitar shop in San Diego.
    Now, why am I not surprised to read that? I recently paid the additional $30 for a setup, and received a beautiful Ohana Ukulele, that was obviously shipped to me just the way it came from the factory. Now, Ohana is one company that checks their instruments carefully before sending them to the dealers. So, even without a pro setup, they usually play OK. In this case, I'm certain that whoever was assigned to do my setup, just looked at the instrument, ran through a few chords, didn't see or hear anything wrong, and just passed it on to me without doing anything to it. Yes, it plays OK. But, the gap between the G string and 1st fret is about .05 inches. It's playable that way, but I'm going to have to do my own setup to get it down to where it should be for easy playing. That's the kind of thing that happens when you farm out your setups to a third party instead of doing them in house. In my mind, I see this fairly inexperienced kid working at the Repair Zone shop, all into electric guitars and fuzz tone stompers, thinking to himself, "Ah shucks, another damn Ukulele! These things are all crap, so what do they expect me to do about it?" Then signing off on it without doing anything to it. Now, that's just my imagination. But, I'll bet it's not far from the truth.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I understand and acknowledge the criticisms mentioned, but are you folks really going to complain for being charged for a service? Isn't that like ordering a sandwich with extra meat and then complaining because you've been charged for extra meat? When I drove several hours and bought a uke from Elderly Instruments, I told them to set it up and put strap buttons on. They did. And they charged me. And I gladly paid it. That's how businesses work. I guess I could have been a Karen and asked to see the manager and explained how important I was and how vital my transaction was to their continuance as a company, and that if I didn't get freebies I would take my business elsewhere. But I chose to pay them for their time.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I understand and acknowledge the criticisms mentioned, but are you folks really going to complain for being charged for a service?
    If other dealers include it for free and/or do a better job, I'd be unhappy with being charged extra. (Well, I'd just shop elsewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Now, why am I not surprised to read that? I recently paid the additional $30 for a setup, and received a beautiful Ohana Ukulele, that was obviously shipped to me just the way it came from the factory. Now, Ohana is one company that checks their instruments carefully before sending them to the dealers. So, even without a pro setup, they usually play OK. In this case, I'm certain that whoever was assigned to do my setup, just looked at the instrument, ran through a few chords, didn't see or hear anything wrong, and just passed it on to me without doing anything to it. Yes, it plays OK. But, the gap between the G string and 1st fret is about .05 inches. It's playable that way, but I'm going to have to do my own setup to get it down to where it should be for easy playing. That's the kind of thing that happens when you farm out your setups to a third party instead of doing them in house. In my mind, I see this fairly inexperienced kid working at the Repair Zone shop, all into electric guitars and fuzz tone stompers, thinking to himself, "Ah shucks, another damn Ukulele! These things are all crap, so what do they expect me to do about it?" Then signing off on it without doing anything to it. Now, that's just my imagination. But, I'll bet it's not far from the truth.
    This has been my main concern with buying from him. The ukes I've received from HMS and Mim are spot on, you can tell they know what they're doing. I trust that the instrument I get from them will be perfect. And so far, they have been. Any issues are resolved before I get the uke. Prices are fair, service is top-notch, I'm a happy customer.
    Last edited by Cadia; 03-25-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I understand and acknowledge the criticisms mentioned, but are you folks really going to complain for being charged for a service? Isn't that like ordering a sandwich with extra meat and then complaining because you've been charged for extra meat? When I drove several hours and bought a uke from Elderly Instruments, I told them to set it up and put strap buttons on. They did. And they charged me. And I gladly paid it. That's how businesses work. I guess I could have been a Karen and asked to see the manager and explained how important I was and how vital my transaction was to their continuance as a company, and that if I didn't get freebies I would take my business elsewhere. But I chose to pay them for their time.
    For the most part, I agree with what seems to be the general sentiment on this thread, that Terry’s style of sales is not the most attractive. I do think maybe we could be a little more diplomatic about it, since it’s someone’s livelihood, and most of it amounts to a subjective preference issue. But then, as someone noted, I don’t think his target crowd is UU.

But the setup is a fair difference to note. It seems that setups are not a standard industry practice, especially when Amazon, Guitar Center, and direct sales from manufacturer sites dominate the market. Should that standard change, and setups be included with every instrument purchase? I’m not sure. I do think setups are more like getting a properly made sandwich than getting extra meat. The analogy breaks down because sandwiches are rarely so sloppy they can’t be eaten, but the playability of instruments off the factory line is variable. And setups, too, vary between making something playable, and fine-tuning to exact personal preference. In any case, I’m fairly certain most of the folks here appreciate the setups offered by HMS, Mim, and others without being self-important about it. And hopefully most of us can act like adults about it and just figure the setup cost into the cost of the instrument when making our choices.

I do think the one real complaint about not receiving a decent setup after having paid for it is a fair complaint. I’m not sure how ULTP can solve this problem (if it’s an ongoing one) since Terry’s wheelhouse is instruction and sales. I believe Elderly has actual service techs in-house. If/when ULTP becomes something like the #1 online ukulele shop, they would probably benefit from bringing on an actual tech to do setups, pickup installations, and the rest in-house.

Thread Information