Uke Like the Pros Online Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Bordessa

Reaction score
Have I been living under a rock? I knew that Uke Like the Pros had video lessons, but I had never heard of their 'ukulele shop.

Can anyone chime in on their service? Looks like they have some good ukes. Curious since they claim they're the "THE #1 ONLINE UKULELE SHOP" yet I can only find them mentioned in a handful of threads in passing.

Gimme the scoops, gang! Stay safe out there!

Terry’s shop has grown bigger, and I believe I saw on Instagram or Facebook that he was moving into a bigger space. I got my Romero DH-6 from him where he sent me pictures of 3 to choose from. On top of that, he gave me a discount when I asked. He’s great to work with.

Curious since they claim they're the "THE #1 ONLINE UKULELE SHOP" yet I can only find them mentioned in a handful of threads in passing.

I only started hearing about them through their ads within the last couple of weeks. Just note that I could start a webpage tomorrow and call myself the #1 seller of ukes, and legally, it isn't fraud--it's puffery. Anyone can claim to be #1--it's not scientific, there's no stated basis for comparison, etc.

I only started hearing about them through their ads within the last couple of weeks. Just note that I could start a webpage tomorrow and call myself the #1 seller of ukes, and legally, it isn't fraud--it's puffery. Anyone can claim to be #1--it's not scientific, there's no stated basis for comparison, etc.

Oh yes... I've been doing the website thing as long as Aldrine guys. :cool: I've seen the self-proclaimed "#1"s come and go. That's why I was curious to get community feedback. But it doesn't look like there's much to be known about this establishment yet.

I bought a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor 6-string from him when HMS was out of stock. He sent it via slow boat USPS to Honolulu—took five weeks. I think it sat in a USPS warehouse for weeks. It arrived crushed. The box looked like the bellows for a view camera! The TT6 played (sounded good too) but had two big cracks: one on the side and another on the spruce soundboard (my penlight could be seen through the cracks). Terry communicated well and handled the return promptly, refunding my money within a few days. I assume he used USPS by boat to save money but the extra $50 for parcel post or UPS would have been a much safer and faster choice.

Just to chime in, I've been taking online lessons from Terry for a couple of years now. I've purchased about 4 ukes and 1 guitarlele, along with books and other accessories from his store at 'Uke Like The Pros'. He is honest and legit, and if you have any issues he will take care of you. My last purchase was a Koaloha kcm-25 through his store. After a few days with the uke, upon further examination, I noticed a manufacturing flaw along one edge of the fretboard. Terry asked for pics and said not to worry, that he would take care of me. He was in contact with Koaloha, and after a few days gave me a couple options. I chose to have it replaced. He asked me to pick a replacement from his store, and covered the shipment for both units.
He has a good relationship with Pop's at koaloha, and Pepe at Romero Creations. He usually has a very good selection of instruments with numerous pics of each one so you can make your own selection.
I highly recommend his store without reservation if your in the market for a new uke, or guitarlele.

Last edited:
Just to chime in, I've been taking online lessons from Terry for a couple of years now. I've purchased about 4 ukes and 1 guitarlele, along with books and other accessories from his store at 'Uke Like The Pros'. He is honest and legit, and if you have any issues he will take care of you. My last purchase was a Koaloha kcm-25 through his store. After a few days with the uke, upon further examination, I noticed a manufacturing flaw along one edge of the fretboard. Terry asked for pics and said not to worry, that he would take care of me. He was in contact with Koaloha, and after a few days gave me a couple options. I chose to have it replaced. He asked me to pick a replacement from his store, and covered the shipment for both units.
He has a good relationship with Pop's at koaloha, and Pepe at Romero Creations. He usually has a very good selection of instruments with numerous pics of each one so you can make your own selection.
I highly recommend his store without reservation if your in the market for a new uke, or guitarlele.

Terry seems like a great guy, but I’ve never been impressed with his playing. I mean no disrespect, he obviously has a solid following, but has he taught you much? I for example use Matt Dahlberg for my main teacher. Not only is he clear and concise, he’s an amazing player. I just cant see why Terry would be the choice with other more talented teachers out there. I could be very wrong and Terry is one of the best teachers, I just cant see why he would be the choice. Again, I try to always be positive with my comments, just wondering.

Terry seems like a great guy, but I’ve never been impressed with his playing. I mean no disrespect, he obviously has a solid following, but has he taught you much? I for example use Matt Dahlberg for my main teacher. Not only is he clear and concise, he’s an amazing player. I just cant see why Terry would be the choice with other more talented teachers out there. I could be very wrong and Terry is one of the best teachers, I just cant see why he would be the choice. Again, I try to always be positive with my comments, just wondering.

That seems a little harsh. I am not drawn to Terry because his goals don't interest me at all. He seems to emphasize playing the ukulele in a very, very traditional way and that doesn't appeal to me. However, I cannot deny that he does what he sets out to do rather well. Also, I have to admit that I've only seen his remedial lessons. I haven't seen how he handles more advanced topics. Perhaps I would be a convert if I could see those things.

That seems a little harsh. I am not drawn to Terry because his goals don't interest me at all. He seems to emphasize playing the ukulele in a very, very traditional way and that doesn't appeal to me. However, I cannot deny that he does what he sets out to do rather well. Also, I have to admit that I've only seen his remedial lessons. I haven't seen how he handles more advanced topics. Perhaps I would be a convert if I could see those things.

I did not intend to sound harsh. I apologize to Terry and his many fans if I came off that way. Perhaps I would be a convert if I could see those as well.

Edit: You also make a great point, maybe he’s a great taking off teacher and then you move on. I understand why you would do business with him. His trustworthy charisma is very reassuring. I feel bad now, ha, maybe I’m just a Matt Dahlberg Fanboy!

Last edited:
Terry seems like a great guy, but IÂ’ve never been impressed with his playing. I mean no disrespect, he obviously has a solid following, but has he taught you much? I for example use Matt Dahlberg for my main teacher. Not only is he clear and concise, heÂ’s an amazing player. I just cant see why Terry would be the choice with other more talented teachers out there. I could be very wrong and Terry is one of the best teachers, I just cant see why he would be the choice. Again, I try to always be positive with my comments, just wondering.

Well, a great player does not necessarily equate to a good teacher, and a talented teacher does not need to be one of the best musicians in entertainment. Think of the many musical teachers that teach thousands of students in elementary thru high school that never get any notoriety, but produce many, many outstanding musicians.
Some students have the natural talent to make it big, others have to work hard, and some like myself just get self enjoyment out of playing. Most of these had good teachers that were not musical icons. And yes, I would say Terry has taught me a lot as I look back over the last few years. Is Terry the most talented musician? Of course not. Is Matt Dahlberg the most talented musician? Of course not. But either one is a very good musician and has a lot to offer. If you want to see some amazing talent, check into one of Terry's classes when Daniel Ho is a guest.

Last edited:
Well, a great player does not necessarily equate to a good teacher, and a talented teacher does not need to be one of the best musicians in entertainment. Think of the many musical teachers that teach thousands of students in elementary thru high school that never get any notoriety, but produce many, many outstanding musicians.
Some students have the natural talent to make it big, others have to work hard, and some like myself just get self enjoyment out of playing. Most of these had good teachers that were not musical icons. And yes, I would say Terry has taught me a lot as I look back over the last few years. Is Terry the most talented musician? Of course not. Is Matt Dahlberg the most talented musician? Of course not. But either one is a very good musician and has a lot to offer. If you want to see some amazing talent, check into one of Terry's classes when Daniel Ho is a guest.

Well put. I understand your angle and Thanks for the reply. I do have to say a certain skill level is desirable from a teacher for there to be longevity to the lessons in my opinion. Nonetheless, Terry’s following speaks for itself and like I said, he’s very likable.

P.s. I’m aware of Daniel, he’s amazing.

No experience with either purchase or service. So this is just a comment on the #1 claim...

Nope...not #1 - not with 'full service' online vendors like HMS, Mim, Elderly ( to mention a few in the US ), and I'm sure the Brits would have a word of disagreement when including Southern Ukulele Store or World of Ukes !!

Perhaps being #1 in ones' own mind is a good thing, though I think striving for #1 will yield better results that trying to maintain #1 :)

I've been watching this thread for a while, wondering if I should jump in. Well, here I am.

I'm a music teacher who picked up and teaches ukulele, and I fell in love with it. I love what it did in my life (restored my love of music--I was teaching middle school choir when I found ukulele and brought it to my students) and what it does for others as I attend ukulele events.

I "give back" by making resources for others...generally for beginners...and only have one item behind a paywall (A $9 item), and then everything in that item is actually available free (from me) elsewhere. I have started making some money from YouTube (a whole $30 a month at this point) and some ukuleles are sent to me free to review and keep. That's all wonderful, but I can't quit my job and I really don't want to. And I don't have the time to be a virtuoso as a player...I just grow as I play and learn, sometimes from others. It's a hobby for me, even if I'm put in 30 to 40 hours a week at it at times (this new beginner series was a massive effort this summer).

So I respect the heck out of Terry and what he has done. I don't know what his life was like before this (I should see if he has made a video about this), but at some point he clearly fell in love with the ukulele, and decided he wanted to make his life about it.

If you want to do ukulele full time (I think Brad, the original poster, does), you have four options. You can be a performer, you can be a teacher, you can do social media, or you can do sales. It's hard enough to make it in any one of the four, and people often do a combination.

Example? AnueNue with Corey and Kalei. Performers, teachers, and now sales.

And social media suddenly became much more complicated, as all the performers went online. Thankfully, sales of ukluleles went through the roof!

Back to Terry...He teaches--and I'm not going to rate the teaching or style--but he also hits rare areas, niches, of baritone and guitarlele. He has an online presence on YouTube and Instagram. And he has the store. He has consistent branding, a consistent presence, and his social media efforts usually cater to the entry level players--which is where the money is. His market is NOT ukulele underground.

He also seems to be on good terms with the KoAloha people, but it also seems like everyone is on good terms with the KoAloha people, because they seem to be good people.

I try to avoid superlatives. For a few weeks this summer, my ukulele play alongs channel had the most subscribers of all of them. I was proud of that, and didn't say anything at the time, which was good, because my friend Rachel Webley's channel blew by mine a few weeks later. Ultimately, that channel has over 61,000 subscribers (and generates $0) and is on its way to 100,000 (the goal), and that's all I can hope for.

I'm not a fan of Terry saying, "The number one store" or "The number one ukulele community" or so on. But it doesn't sound that good to say, "We're a really good store, too," or, "Well, if you can't find it at Mim's/The Ukulele Site." I wish we didn't have to try to sell ourselves like that, but marketing is marketing.

Which again, is why my job remains as a music teacher (I'm now teaching elementary, by the way, and ukulele to 5th grade).

Last edited:
Just feeling the business out, not trying to throw anybody under the bus. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like Terry takes care of his people. That's the main thing.

Does the UkeLikeThePros online store perform the same level of set-up on a new ukulele purchase as HMS and Mim's Ukes and UkeRepublic?

I'm getting ready to make my first new ukulele purchase and set-up service is one of the important factors I'm considering as I decide on which online shop to patronize.

Have I been living under a rock? I knew that Uke Like the Pros had video lessons, but I had never heard of their 'ukulele shop.

Can anyone chime in on their service? Looks like they have some good ukes. Curious since they claim they're the "THE #1 ONLINE UKULELE SHOP" yet I can only find them mentioned in a handful of threads in passing.

Gimme the scoops, gang! Stay safe out there!

KoAloha pineapple!

I recall this thread from a few months ago and added this shop to my list to browse through and consider.

I just purchased a Red Label 25th Anniversary concert from HMS. They actually held it and contacted me before listing it. They also discounted it some due to some slight inconsistency with the dyeing. Great! I just noticed a Red Label 25th Anny on this site. And it is listed at about $1500 more than the one from HMS and the two still at Mim's. Yeah, he touts that it is one of only ten made. But the additional markup is a lot. And you still have to pay $55 for a set up.

His setups are an extra $30 and are done by The Repair Zone, a guitar shop in San Diego.

From the time this outfit started, there were always things (plural) about the guy (the name "Uke like the PROs", teaching, style of playing, communication &?) & the whole operation that never sat well with me. Could never articulate it.... except for the word "smarmy" instantly entered my mind & never left. There may be professional uke players I highly respect & perhaps to some extent want to emulate, but I'd rather uke like me, not "Uke like the Pros".

The whole operation also grew rather fast, which is almost always not a good thing. It seems very odd to sell a ~$1000 instrument or any uke, w/o set up. My local shop rejects a huge amount of a certain brand he/they carry for QC reasons so selling that brand w/o additional QC/set up seems rather sketchy.

Will be sticking w tried & true retailers... HMS, Mims... Have never bought from PuaPua but would def consider...

I'm curious whether anyone here has taken Terry's guitalele course, and what they think about it. I have a Cordoba Mini on order and am debating whether to take lessons, or try and figure the thing out myself based on my knowledge of the uke. Although, as a number have mentioned, there are many folks out there offering uke lessons, guitalele lessons are very hard to come by. Yes, one could always take guitar lessons and transpose everything to A, but that seems like a lot of bother, especially for someone new to the instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom