Season 442 - NOW That's What I Call Ukulele!

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
The title pretty much sums it up. Bring me something from any of the "Now, That's What I Call Music!" compilation records.

The only rule is that it must be from a "Now, That's What I Call Music!" compilation. Not, for example, a "Now, That's What I Call Yacht Rock!", or "Now, That's What I Call the 00's!".

Here are a couple of links to get you started:
Wiki Discography List
Website

And some suggestions from honorary co-hosts Lynda, Paul and Caz:
Think of a song you'd like to do, put it in the NOW Music Search Box, and see if it comes up on one of the "Now That's What I Call Music!" compilations.
You can also go to the albums page on the Now site and Filter for "numbered" to narrow out the other compilations, then click on an album to go to its tracklist.
There is a Buzzfeed page with a long list of albums + track lists https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/the-official-ranking-of-the-now-thats-what-i-call-music-cds

If you would rather bring an original, please do! The "Now..." series is supposed to celebrate pop music (I think), so play us something celebratory. I don't care what it celebrates, but whatever it is should be clear in your lyrics.

No Song Limit. All the six Bay Area counties are still in shelter in place mode, so what else is there for me to do?

Usual rules apply... Season doesn't start until midnight Hawaii time on Sunday 2 August, Uke must be front and center, Multi-tracks, collabs etc. all welcome, Must be a new recording for this season, etc., etc.

One additional in-Season rule - If the song is from a NOW... compilation, please include in your post the volume.

Contributions from observers of past Seasons are most welcome. Please joint us!

Now with more PLAYLIST

Last edited:
oh wow what a great idea! i bought "now that's what i call music volume 2", on cassette :eek:ld:

wikpedia is telling me it must have been 1984!

Reckon the simplest thing to do is think of a song you'd like to do, put it in the NOW Music Search Box, and see if it comes up on one of the "Now That's What I Call Music!" compilations.

I can see Del searching for anything by Two Men, A Drum Machine & A Trumpet (he'll find 'I'm Tired Of Getting Pushed Around' on NOW 11 ;) )

Cool theme Andy, at a glance it looks like there's plenty to choose from. I'd never heard of this compilation show, but i've gone to youtube in typed in the name, and you can easily find volume #1 - #106. There appears to be a playlist for each one. I've searched through the first 20 and found around 20 songs I like. Interestingly, I've never 75-80% of the songs. Probably because I haven't listened to much pop radio in my life. As is usually the case with the Seasons, it should be a great opportunity to learn about a lot of new artists/songs.

you can also go to the albums page on the "now" site...

https://www.nowmusic.com/albums/

you can filter for "numbered" to narrow out the other compilations

if you click on an album it takes you to its tracklist

the albums show in date order so page down and down and down for those early albums if you wanna go way back in time to the eighties

:eek:ld: <- defo me this week!

I can see Del searching for anything by Two Men, A Drum Machine & A Trumpet (he'll find 'I'm Tired Of Getting Pushed Around' on NOW 11 ;) )
Haha - I’d completely forgotten about this one! :D

oh wow what a great idea! i bought "now that's what i call music volume 2", on cassette :eek:ld:

wikpedia is telling me it must have been 1984!

I think I got some early "Now" compilations on cassette but quickly decided they weren't worth it for just one or two songs.

not the ABBA version but the cover by Dr and the Medics on 'NOW that's what i call music 8'

Thanks for hosting Andy.
Here's an original celebrating breakfast!

Gday Andy. Thanks for hosting. I checked out several years worth and felt inspired......to write an original:)....celebrating Delta blues man Skip James. Not pop...but popular in my house.

Skip James Skip James
Came a hauntin' me
from a Mississippi blacktop
to the South Pacific Sea

He came
scratched vinyl
sacred and profound
and he scared me a little
when he laid poor Crow Jane down

You can haunt me clockwise
you can haunt me widdershins
you can haunt me raw bones
you can haunt me in the skins

He came
Mercury through the keyhole door
with a voice on the train
between the razor and the claw

Devil got his woman
it can happen to the best
Devil got my eastern girl when I was in the west

God said
“ Devil you can't make me listen to your boy band with a gun,
I'll spin you some Skip James
Now that's what I call music son”

Skip James Skip James
Came a hauntin' me
from a Mississippi blacktop
to the South Pacific Sea

He came
scratched vinyl
sacred and profound
and he scared me a little
when he laid poor Crow Jane down

wow been wading through lots of songs and also felt inspired to write an original celebrating the shear mindless repetitive inanity of some pop music ... also found a couple i liked from the early compilations ... if i had a looper and a drum machine i could have maybe made it more poppy... also saw lots of young people wearing very little in the way of clothing...

Last edited:
I have hunted high and low, but I am pretty sure this house has only one "Now" CD in it*, quite an achievement when you have two kids in their twenties. We may have caved in and got a puppy, but they sure as hell weren't getting the latest "Now" every birthday & Christmas.

* but everybody has the Christmas one, don't they?

What a way to wake up and work through one's first cup of coffee. Thanks for all your contributions so far. I had a feeling that this theme might have the writers turn and look to their respective Muses (as Berni might say) and I have not been disappointed.

The Playlist is up and the link active. Thanks again to Lynda, Paul and Caz for pointing out various, perhaps more user friendly ways, of discovering songs in the NOW... compilation catalog.

Now off to make my second cup...

Thanks for hosting Andy, I went with an original song written before, but reworked for uke. It celebrates the promise of getting together again with a friend or loved one, and opening all the bottles of wine . . . . . Hope all is well there with you and your family ~

Ahoy everybody
On Vol.2 of the US series of NOW...Music! you could find this classic gem

Top Bottom